Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
iacas

"Tour Tempo" by John Novosel

Note: This thread is 1155 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

161 posts / 89620 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I've been working on my tempo which started when I downloaded the SwingReader app and became curious about the 3 to 1 ratio. I found this thread and then found this article in Science News which talks about being in the zone among other things. Anyway as an fyi here is the link.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/feature/id/337209/title/Brainy_Ballplayers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I love it and would suggest this to anyone. I have the app on my iPod and very much helped my game and I like to listen to the music for my tempo before all rounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I practiced with tour tempo on the range for the first time. I had done no work at home before. I am around 13 hcp, and have difficulty with the consistency of my swing. I would say that when I strike my irons good (all the way from the wedges to my 15° hybrid), my ball flight is something a low single digit hcp would be quite happy with. On the course, this is about 1/3 of the shots. The other 2/3 I have a tendency to cast the club from the top, with significant loss of contact, power, flight and all.

Also, I have a quite centered swing, with a lot of input from SnT and similar.

Now to my training session with tour tempo. I skipped all drills and went right to the full swing. I started with the 24/8 and did 10-15 practice swings, while listening to the beats. Then I hit 10-15 balls with my 8 iron, most of them quite good, but I felt the swing was slightly too slow for me. I switched to 21/7, which immediately felt right. I would say I hit about 100 balls while listening to 21/7, mostly 5-irons, but also some 21° hybrids, 8-irons and the occational driver.

The results were very good; I would say 4/5 of my 5-irons had a penetrating, powerful yet high, really nice ball flight. Even better then when I struck it good before, and with much higher consistency. Distance was better than before as well, with my 21° hybrid flying 190 yards+ (with driving range balls which fly 10-15% shorter).

This is really encouraging; however I am a little worried how easy it will be to keep the feeling without the tones in my ear. On Wednesday I am playing my home course, will be interesting for sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by AndersT

This is really encouraging; however I am a little worried how easy it will be to keep the feeling without the tones in my ear. On Wednesday I am playing my home course, will be interesting for sure!

Good to hear that the results are encouraging for you.   I really found it helped my game a lot and find that getting back into the tempo habit is helpful when my swing goes a bit awry on the course.

I think you'll find if you practice the tempo tones quite a bit you'll get them ingrained in your mind and you'll be able to "hear" them on the course.    Listening to the tones while warming up on the range before a round also helps get them set in your mind so you can conjure them up when you need to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love it.... listen to em while going to sleep really helps ingrain the tones into my head. Now each time I'm out of tempo and play badly, I just recall back the tunes and it helps calm me down and then all of sudden my swing become smooth again.

Only thing I find it hard to get use to is the short game tempo.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the software on my phone last night and tryid it just now during lunch time.

It is really good and helping my tempo better .

I tried the

Short Game ( 18/9 ) on my short game  ( Up to 3 Qtr Swing )  & Putting ,

Long Game ( 24/8 ) pn my full swing ( Woods & Irons )

It really help the ball striking.

The tempo i chose is a little faster than my current  ( i think i m > 27/9 ) .

The swing becme more solid and swoosh !

LOVE IT !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to the range with the apps , I think hit something like >90% of quality shots ( Shot and Long Game ). was kinda lost my swing for the last few weeks and done some soul searching . Revisit sandtrap's 5 Keys and found this Tour Tempo apps really bring back my game and the most important confidence ! I know what is the baseline that i must refer to when i lost my swing ... Cant wat to try out at the course this saturday ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the video set now.... Very interesting concepts.

I am going to have it on my Playbook to work on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found that my tempo was pretty close to the 3:1 ratio and it was not diffucult to adjust to the tones. The tones really helped me out of my driver funk but I honestly think it was because it got rid of all those evil swing thoughts in my head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by realed

I found that my tempo was pretty close to the 3:1 ratio and it was not diffucult to adjust to the tones. The tones really helped me out of my driver funk but I honestly think it was because it got rid of all those evil swing thoughts in my head.


I am really liking the program....

I have only one small problem (will update my swing thread)... I cannot put together a smooth stroke. When I stroke at the tones I am hitting dead aim and smoking the ball. Trying to do a smooth stroke produces weirdness (I know I know, do more drilling).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read the book through in one sitting (the original) and grabbed the audio and dropped it on my iPod.

I swung inside (local range is closed here in MA, for obvious reasons ) and surprisingly.... even the 21/7 tempo felt slow! Holy cow, how fast have I been swinging? Apparently so fast that my irons are horrible, which is a reason why I haven't yet figured out my handicap.

I decided to just work on the 24/8 tempo, and have been swinging to it daily for the past 4 days, around 15-20 minutes per day. Even though I haven't been hitting balls, my swing feels MUCH better - I can feel my hips sliding slightly to start the downswing, and I'm very comfortable with my rotation. Much more than I was in the fall on the range, the better consistent tempo has felt like it's really helped with my timing.

Side note: I'm a drummer and was a bit concerned after reading some other notes about musicians having issues with the timing. I didn't have any issues picking it up, and remembering that the first 2 tones were cues and the third was supposed to come at the same time as impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I really like this. Think the key thing is to get this ingrained.

Is there a way to set the track as a part of the iPhone ringtone ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by atanum

Is there a way to set the track as a part of the iPhone ringtone ?

Curious why you would want to do that.    Have someone call you every time you want to practice your tempo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:
Curious why you would want to do that.    Have someone call you every time you want to practice your tempo?

If you look at learning models for intuitive assimilation of patterns - arguably the best settings are natural settings. So yes, every time somebody calls me - and I do get a lot of calls, hopefully over time the assimilation and it's repeatability when I am actually swinging with  the tour tempo is more intuitive and natural.

Anyways , it was kind of John to send me over the .m4r files

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought this a week ago and have been hitting golf balls into a net each night while listening to the tones.  As others have stated, I am a believer!

Figuring out the right tempo was interesting.  When I first listened to the tones and swung to them, I could tell that the 21/7 was closest to my current swing.  So, I starting hitting balls to it.  On a hunch, however, I then experimented with the other two speeds.  I found out that my clubhead speed (I use a Swing Speed Radar) was best when I synced up to the 24/8 tempo.  The 24/8 tempo forced me to SLOW down my backswing and SPEED up my downswing (has anyone else had this?).  I agree with some others that I still am working on reacting to tones as opposed to anticipating them.  I've been doing this enough that I can tell when I've anticipated a tone.  On the flip side, I haven't been doing this long enough to engrain the tempo into my natural swing.  After a week, I still need to hear the audible tones to keep me on tempo...

I am very analytical about the golf swing and agree with what others on this thread have said - Tour Tempo makes you NOT think about mechanics while you are swinging the club.  With Tour Tempo, when I hear that second beep, that triggers me to get down to the ball really quickly (at least really quickly compared to what I'm used to doing).  My brain doesn't tell me how to get there (thrust off of the instep of the right foot, have a bit of a hip bump to start things, flat left wrist, etc, etc, etc), it just knows I need to get there.

The results I've seen so far...  My average swing speed with a pitching wedge (that's all I swing indoors b/c of ceilings...) has increased by 8 mph.  My normal miss is usually a chunker, but when I'm listening to the tones, my miss is thinning it.  Since I haven't been able to do anything other than hitting into a net, I don't yet know how my ball flight will be affected.  While I have been able to improve on mechanics over the past couple of years, it has been very difficult to increase my club head speed.  This seems to do the trick.  My thought process is, get the swing speed up and work on mechanics while swinging at the higher speeds...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by boil3rmak3r

I bought this a week ago and have been hitting golf balls into a net each night while listening to the tones.  As others have stated, I am a believer!

Figuring out the right tempo was interesting.  When I first listened to the tones and swung to them, I could tell that the 21/7 was closest to my current swing.  So, I starting hitting balls to it.  On a hunch, however, I then experimented with the other two speeds.  I found out that my clubhead speed (I use a Swing Speed Radar) was best when I synced up to the 24/8 tempo.  The 24/8 tempo forced me to SLOW down my backswing and SPEED up my downswing (has anyone else had this?).  I agree with some others that I still am working on reacting to tones as opposed to anticipating them.  I've been doing this enough that I can tell when I've anticipated a tone.  On the flip side, I haven't been doing this long enough to engrain the tempo into my natural swing.  After a week, I still need to hear the audible tones to keep me on tempo...

I am very analytical about the golf swing and agree with what others on this thread have said - Tour Tempo makes you NOT think about mechanics while you are swinging the club.  With Tour Tempo, when I hear that second beep, that triggers me to get down to the ball really quickly (at least really quickly compared to what I'm used to doing).  My brain doesn't tell me how to get there (thrust off of the instep of the right foot, have a bit of a hip bump to start things, flat left wrist, etc, etc, etc), it just knows I need to get there.

The results I've seen so far...  My average swing speed with a pitching wedge (that's all I swing indoors b/c of ceilings...) has increased by 8 mph.  My normal miss is usually a chunker, but when I'm listening to the tones, my miss is thinning it.  Since I haven't been able to do anything other than hitting into a net, I don't yet know how my ball flight will be affected.  While I have been able to improve on mechanics over the past couple of years, it has been very difficult to increase my club head speed.  This seems to do the trick.  My thought process is, get the swing speed up and work on mechanics while swinging at the higher speeds...

Yes. For me this app has helped me realize I need to get to the ball FASTER. For so many years I always thought you needed to swing slow to make good contact and all the stuff people preach about not swinging hard. I've now realized its not able swinging hard or slow just swinging fast. It's definitely helped me increase club head speed and when I first started using this app and used it a lot I noticed a big difference in my scores. One of the first tournaments I used it in I shot even par on a tough course I had never played before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this thread is old - but I didn't want to start a new one, given the input this one has already received. 

I learned of Tour Tempo late last week, and just ordered the book and CD off of EBay. In the meantime, I downloaded 2 sample tracks of the 24/8 tempo (none other were available), and spent yesterday evening practicing my timing in the livingroom. I started playing golf last summer, and I hover around a 26-28 handicap. When I feel 'on', I can hit almost any 'stock' shot I want. Not far, but consistent enough to play for bogey, and have a chance at par. The trouble is, I can't keep that feeling throughout the course of an entire round. 

So... I headed to the local driving range this morning with my iPhone and earbuds, playing the 24/8 tones on repeat. 

Wow! When I sequenced my swing positions (takeaway, downswing, and impact) to the 3 tones, I began hitting the ball farther and straighter than before. Granted, it's difficult to learn the new tempo with a small bucket, but the results when I did were impressive! The only downs wide is that the ball flight is a little lower than what I had before, so I'm unsure how the spin numbers have changed. I play with KBS Tour 90 shafts?

 

Anyway, I wanted to share my findings with you all. I'm excited for the book and the remaining tones to arrive in the next 2 weeks to see how much I can improve my tempo.

Anyone else have similar results with the Tour Tempo system??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 1155 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...