IGNORED

Here's the latest

Boeing777
Note: This thread is 5577 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Let me just get straight to it. I'm about 5 months in the game, I just recently bought my first new irons, g10pings. I play with guys who shoots in the low 80s every weekend, I shoot in 98-107 always. Well i've had enough so i bought my first set of lessons from a the golf pro. After my first lesson thrus. i tryied to take it to game sat. It went like this, i picked the ball up 5 times, i never once hit a green on any par 3s. And had the worst day and score of my life i believe. I'm sure i shot over 125, i never counted cause i didn't give a damn. So sun i decided to go back for a nother beating. I can't swing like the pro wants me to it kills my score. I shot a 109, so right now i cant' hit my ass even when i'm sitting on it. I have no confident in my clubs, not one, nor do i have confident in me. And what's crazy i played better with my first set of clubs i had (Big Bertha irons 2006 models) and no lessons. I am mentally spent and wore out.. Am i alone, and is there hope?

taylormade.gifR11 Driver
taylormade.gif3wood
taylormade.gif5wood
ping.gif20 degree hybrid
titleist.gif 5-Wscratch.gif SWodyssey.gif putter Srixon balls

Let me just get straight to it. I'm about 5 months in the game, I just recently bought my first new irons, g10pings. I play with guys who shoots in the low 80s every weekend, I shoot in 98-107 always. Well i've had enough so i bought my first set of lessons from a the golf pro. After my first lesson thrus. i tryied to take it to game sat. It went like this, i picked the ball up 5 times, i never once hit a green on any par 3s. And had the worst day and score of my life i believe. I'm sure i shot over 125, i never counted cause i didn't give a damn. So sun i decided to go back for a nother beating. I can't swing like the pro wants me to it kills my score. I shot a 109, so right now i cant' hit my ass even when i'm sitting on it. I have no confident in my clubs, not one, nor do i have confident in me. And what's crazy i played better with my first set of clubs i had (Big Bertha irons 2006 models) and no lessons. I am mentally spent and wore out.. Am i alone, and is there hope?

there is hope i play to a 5 soon to drop to lol i never had a lesson never intend to evertime i try somethin everyone thinks should hlp my scores skyrocket.just my .02 though

Wow slow down there hustler.... its just a game and realize this, how often do you stand over a shot and think to yourself hummmm i wonder what the ball is going to do ( hook , slice, thin , fat ) ...for am's it happends alot... try telling yourself what you want the ball to do and just for the record go to the range as much as you can and dont leave till you figure out what to do to hit a consistant shot and get some freakn confidence in yourself geeze ...
Driver Tit 907D2 9.5 aldila spec grid 67s
HybidTit 585H 19* s flex
IronsTit 775cb 3-pw
WedgesTit vokey 52* 56* 60*
Putter Rife Barbados 35" winn mid pistol gripGolfballBridgestone B330-s/taylormade tp black/titleist prov1x

I would give the pro more than one lesson to straighten things out. I've recently started taking a series of lessons from a local (reputable--has worked w/several Tour players and college All-Americans) pro to prepare myself for golf school. Each lesson is one that builds on the previous one, and it might take several before we can put it all together to see real improvement in my game.

For example, I, like most amateurs, have a tendency to come over the top. With my short irons, it's a pull, with my woods, it usually ends up as a pull/slice (I like to call it a power fade). For two of the last three lessons, we've worked almost exclusively on getting me to come from the inside. For two weeks, I've hit the ball awful, and this weekend it's finally started to click. I've hit some nice draws w/the driver, and haven't been pulling my short irons almost at all. We were working on another skill awhile back, and it was similar to a change that Greg Norman made in his swing years ago. According to my pro, Norman said that it took him a full year before he felt comfortable with the new swing. Now, it's easy for Norman to overcome that with talent, unlike a lot of us.

I would say stick with the lessons a little longer. Don't rever to old habits. If the pro is good, you will see results if you work at it consistently . If you don't see improvement, it might be that you and the pro just don't connect. If this is the case, seek out another one who you do connect with. it will be worth it, and you will see improvement if you stay committed. Best of luck in this wonderful (and sometimes frustrating) game!

What I play:

Driver: XLS Hibore 9.5* Fit-On Red (S)
Woods: Tour XPC 16* Graffaloy ProLite (S)
Hybrid: Exotics 3HIrons: Reid Lockhart 3-SWWedge: rac 60*Putter: a crappy $20 Academy putter (but it works!)

At your stage in the game, it really is darkest just before the dawn. There are reasons for the changes you are learning in the lessons. Stick with it.

RC

I'd have kept the old clubs and spent the money for the new ones on lessons. Only 5 months in the game, which doesn't leave much time for actual playing or practicing, the lessons will do more for your game than new clubs. Plus, I'm sure you threw away plenty of shots on or near the greens, which is probably not something your pro started you on in your first lesson. You've got a lot to work on, get used to it and enjoy it.

Your expectations are unrealistic. Anyone working on their game can't expect to go to a lesson and just take it to the course, it won't last, if it lasts that long. You take it to the range, work on it between lessons, develop the feel for what you are trying to do (which after one lesson, probably isn't much, certainly not your entire game). When you go play, go play.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

I wouldn't try the new stuff on the course unless I was comfortable with it. That's a good way to get frustrated.
Keep your head up man. Golf is a good game that is never mastered.

Driver:TaylorMade R580 XD Stiff
3 Wood:Wilson FY-brid 15*
Hybrid:Adams A3 Boxer # 3
Irons:Titleist Square Toe 4
Irons:Callaway X-20 5-PWWedges:Adams Tight Lies GT SWPutter: Ping Anser 2Ball: Wilson Ultra or Precept Lady IQ180 or Bridgestone e6+

Thanks guys for all your support, cause right now i need it. Today is a new week so back to the range i go. My next lesson is either wed or thur, depending on when i want to make a schedule. Until then I'll keep trying to cock my wrist, and keep the club on plane. Wish me luck guys.

taylormade.gifR11 Driver
taylormade.gif3wood
taylormade.gif5wood
ping.gif20 degree hybrid
titleist.gif 5-Wscratch.gif SWodyssey.gif putter Srixon balls

At your stage in the game, it really is darkest just before the dawn. There are reasons for the changes you are learning in the lessons. Stick with it.

This is exactly the right answer.

Golf is a tough game to play well. Kudos for taking lessons early on. Just stick with it and you'll get there.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Stick with it when i started i was at least a 40 hndcp. I found a teacher(happens i got lucky and found a guy taught by Mike Bender ) and have stuck with his lessons. Im going on 5 years with his lessons. As you can see he dropped my hndcp to a 10. If i were you i would stick with it. Take a few more lessons and it will get better. Kinda like when you take an advil does it cure your problem the second you take it? Good luck!!!

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

There's no magic pill that will instantly fix your swing. If you think your coach is good, stick with him/her. My instructor always says, your swing has to get worse before it gets better.

sometimes after lesson you have to get worse before you get better so be patient with the game and let thing happen over time, golf takes time for things to develop otherwise everybody would be like Tiger.

in the meantime work on your short game including putting and chipping around the green.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

in the meantime work on your short game including putting and chipping around the green.

This is great advice.

Practicing putting fundamentals at home or on practice greens, and practicing chipping & pitching can do a world of good for you mentally and scoring wise while your full swing is under repair. I'm in your boat right now, re-working my full-swing, and I'm making it a point to spend 1/2 my time at the range working on chips & pitches, because I know come game time, to have any chance of scoring decently, that part of my game is going to have to be solid. Unlike you, though, I don't plan on darkening a course until my full swing is a whole lot better than it is now. :)

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Your experience is not unusual at all. I heard the story many times. Experienced it too.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

It's bound to be cheaper, less frustrating and better for your relationships than golf.

Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Note: This thread is 5577 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!