IGNORED

R9 --just tried it

Note: This thread is 5487 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hit the Taylormade R9 today. The club set up very nice, lloked great at address, and had a nice hue ot its crown. It hit it and was devastated. The driver I was waiting 6 months for felt awful. I will not be buying a new driver this year it lloks like.

But if you don't buy it, all those marketing executives for taylor made will cry... oh wait, they can borrow some money from the AIG executives!

Driver-Callaway FT-5 Draw 9.5"

3WD-Callaway Hawkeye 15*

Hybrid-Callaway FT 21*

Irons-Callaway Steelhead X-16 4-P

Wedges-Callaway Big Bertha Tour 52* 56* 60*

Putter-Odyssey White Hot #1

I was on vacation and decided to stop at the St. Augustine "Pga Tour Stop" and look at the R9. Used it on the launch monitor and the club actually was the same as my R7 Super Quad. The sales guy said, lets go to the range and see if its any different. After hitting a few balls on the range i fell in love with this driver! I have a little problem with losing the ball to the right every once in a while, so i changed the driver to the NU set up, and made a ton of difference. So if I were you maybe give it another shot but not on a launch monitor but on a range instead!

Have it Love it!!! I changed the weights from the 1-1-16 to a 4-4-8. It makes the driver feel a little beefier off the face. The 1-1 weights are useless and there is nothing behind the toe and heel to get the ball movin' (my opinion) I liked it with the original weights, but the change i made was for the better.

:taylormade: R9 9.5d with Fujikura Motore 65 Stiff
ss-07 13deg 3 wood Graphite Design Purple Ice 85-S
Md-17 1i/4w UST V2 Tour Hybrid X
A3 Pro 20 Tour Prototype Mitsubishi Javln X
MP 57 4,5,6 Project X 6.5 MP 67 7,8,9 Project X 6.5 Vokey 200 series 48d Project X satin 6.5/ Vokey 09SMTC 54.11...

Ugh, this "customizable" shit is so gimmicky. Just about everyone who buys something like this (including weights on a driver, etc.) will change it once, MAYBE twice, that's it. It's just wasted technology.

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ugh, this "customizable" shit is so gimmicky. Just about everyone who buys something like this (including weights on a driver, etc.) will change it once, MAYBE twice, that's it. It's just wasted technology.

this coming from a man who plays balls he finds on the course!

j.k. All clubs are adjustable. Irons can be upright, flat, loft changed, shaft changed, .... Woods - Shafts, wedges - grinds, shafts, lofts, lies, lenght, .... I don't mind tweaking with my R9 till I find the right setting. Nothing wrong with that.

I tried it again, still hate it. I think Im going to be an Adams A4 and rededicate myself to becoming scratch. Im about to the point if I hit another driver I'm just going to buy the cheapest one.

Driver: Adams 9015 proto (ozik matrix shaft)
3w: TM V-Steel 15* grafalloy blue (42 inches)
3-pw: Miura Tournament Blades w/ rifle 5.5
wedges: 588 Clevelands 47* 51* 56*
putter: Scotty Cameron oil can (97)

I hit it and also was not fond of it the closest thing i conpair it to is a brick on the end of a 2x4. It dosent even feel good when you hit it on the sweet spot. It feels dead and sends alot of vibration up the shaft. However I hit it so well im mildly confused. I just broke the shaft in my old r5 and i need a new club and may concider picking it up.

My 2 cents the FT-9 is the real deal try the Tour 9.5 nuetral and I think you will like it.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

I had a similar experience when I hit the driver... it just never felt right, no pop or power. I hit the FT-9 and the new Titleist... and both of those felt much better.

I haven't seen a nice TM driver in a long time... maybe they should try to produce one good driver per year instead of four crappy ones.

TM drivers = as of late.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

First of all, I kind of agree with that. And you can't compare it to irons. You can't whip your wrench out on the course and adjust your irons to how you're playing that day.

I also said pretty much the same thing to the TM and NIKE guys at demo days... once I get it set to how I like it, I'm not going to change it. So why not save money and get the right setup that doesn't change. Unless you're going to cheat on the course and change it as you go. But between the DYMO and R9, I liked the R9 way better. I don't get all this negativity towards Taylormade. I switched from Nike to TM. Burner was way better than the DYMO. Maybe Nike is just that bad that I felt like taylormade was so awesome when I switched, but I love the burner. To each his own.
Bag:
Driver: '09 Burner 9.5*
3 wood: SQ2
Hybrid 3: SQ2
Irons 4 - AW: r7SW: Vokey SM 56FW: 64Putter: fastbackBalls: NXT Tour

this makes me glad to hear :D my limited budget won't want the new driver haha (i have a superquad). If you don't feel confident with a club why buy it- i guess its something new just so they have something new to sell

driver: taylormade r7 superquad
woods: taylormade r7 tp 3 wood, r7 steel 4 wood, hybrid 2
irons: taylormade rac lt
wedges: taylormade tp
putter: scotty cameron santa fe

I tried it yesterday and I also hated it. I ended up with a Ping G10. The shaft options with Ping are miles ahead of what Taylor made had. One of the pros I talked to told me that to him it seemed as if you had to have 110 or better club speed to take advantage of the new R9. Maybe thats why the pros like it so much ?

Isn't the R9 supposed to be a GI club? If so, why would someone who consistanly swings faster than 110mph need that much help, chances are they are pretty good.

• Administrator
Isn't the R9 supposed to be a GI club?

No. Not at all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hit the Taylormade R9 today. The club set up very nice, lloked great at address, and had a nice hue ot its crown. It hit it and was devastated. The driver I was waiting 6 months for felt awful. I will not be buying a new driver this year it lloks like.

I thought it was... okay. It was about 10 yards shorter than the new Titleist, and felt "squishy" at impact, no compression.

The Nike DYMO was what I thought nicer than the R9, but not great. The DYMO fairway wood is very solid, though. I hit their player irons, the TP Smoke, and THOSE are a thing of beauty. Buttery smooth, too.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

i still play a taylormade r7 because everything since then has been complete shit.

Taylormade NEEDS to step up their game. God knows obama wont bail them out if they go under.

The technology the R9 as is amazing but it feels like . They make to many drivers they should focus on making one really great one. Nothing good has been produced from Taylormade since the R7 line.

Isn't the R9 supposed to be a GI club? If so, why would someone who consistanly swings faster than 110mph need that much help, chances are they are pretty good.

I'm pretty sure it's not. Its less than 460CC IIRC.

Note: This thread is 5487 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!