IGNORED

Phil #1 World Golf Ranking

Clubswinger21
Note: This thread is 5518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone else think it would be good for golf if Phil could catch Tiger now that he's playing great and well within reach of Tiger's WGR.

Not only that but he's never been number 1 in the world, and we could possibly have some what of a Worl Golf Ranking show down between the 2 if Phil keeps his play up while Tiger continues to shake off the rust.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

I would LOVE to see it... I'm sure Tiger would come out swinging at the masters (hahaha, get it... swinging).

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Anyone else think it would be good for golf if Phil could catch Tiger now that he's playing great and well within reach of Tiger's WGR.

In any sport, a good, strong rivalry gets people excited and divided into two camps. NY Yankees vs. my Beloved Boston Red Sox. Muhammed Ali vs. Joe Frazier. Annika vs. Lorena on the LPGA Tour. Annika vs. Karrie not that long ago. Jack vs. Arnie in golf. etc. But----------for a true rivalry to exist, each competitor must win his share. Up to now, Tiger has had the upper hand, except in the period 2004-06, when Phil won his 3 Majors, and almost won the US Open at Winged Foot.

Thus far, Phil has two wins and Tiger has none. Last week was the first sign that both may be ready to do battle. Both the Players Championship and the Masters should be interesting. You know, after Tiger had to take his leave to get his knee operated on, Phil's play was lackluster. It is almost as if he needed Tiger to be around to get himself fired up. I do not think that was the case, but it is interesting that Phil's play was "below par" until the last few weeks.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

I know technically he has a chance to get to no. 1, but lets all keep in mind that Tiger SAT OUT FOR 8 MONTHS. The no. 1 rank means nothing.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

• Administrator
I know technically he has a chance to get to no. 1, but lets all keep in mind that Tiger SAT OUT FOR 8 MONTHS. The no. 1 rank means nothing.

Ditto that. Even Phil would admit that a #1 rank at this point wouldn't mean anything. He said as much in his post-round interview Sunday.

Fans wouldn't care either. And Phil would have to beat Tiger at Bay Hill. I don't see that happening. Tiger steadily improved throughout the week at Doral and looked to be in good form at the lame-o Tavistock Cup.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Fans wouldn't care either.

I completely agree that it would NOT be a "real" ascent to #1, like it was when Vijay did it... but I think Phil fans would like to see it... I know I would. I DO think it would add motivation for Tiger in the comming weeks (not that he realy needs that). Anyway... I am sure there are some people out there who think it would be nice to see or interesting in the least, even if it is a completely inaccurate device for determining who is the true #1 (kind of like the BCS). Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I agree with Erik and am skeptical that Phil can get it done but of course he's gonna do his best. Let's face it, this may be his one and only chance for a piece of the limelight. Look at all the young talent that's coming up behind, the two of them only have a certain number of years - what a great sport this is! Tiger's single-minded, aggressive attitude to his game reminds me of noone more than Nicklaus, and in a way this trait is coming through even more clearly now because of the challenge he has faced. It isn't the fist-pumping, it's the whole mental package I'm referring to.

Most of the pros were likely very impressed with Tiger's play at Doral, especially with his power game which they were carefully monitoring I'm sure. Like the Governator once said, [Austrian-american accent] "I'm baaaaaack!". It isn't going to take long for him to get that subtle "feel" back into his game (putting, mainly), after which it'll seem to his foes as if he were never away. He's already proven that physically he's in great shape, at least for now. Kudos to the medics for that.

I could be wrong but I'm looking for Tiger to reestablish dominance rather quickly. We're told that he has worked hard during the "vacation" to make it happen and it shows already. Still, I'd like to see Phil pick up many more wins, including at least one or two more Majors. Whatever we think about this, we'll all be watching closely I'm sure.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Even if Phil does get the #1 ranking, everyone (even Phil) will know that its a hollow victory and it would be a joke to call Phil the #1 golfer in the world.
The only reason Phil is anywhere near Tiger in the world rankings is because Tiger was away for 8 months.
There will be no rivalry because once Tiger gets his game back into shape, Phil will be playing for 2nd at best.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

In any sport, a good, strong rivalry gets people excited and divided into two camps. NY Yankees vs. my Beloved Boston Red Sox. Muhammed Ali vs. Joe Frazier. Annika vs. Lorena on the LPGA Tour. Annika vs. Karrie not that long ago. Jack vs. Arnie in golf. etc. But----------for a true rivalry to exist, each competitor must win his share. Up to now, Tiger has had the upper hand, except in the period 2004-06, when Phil won his 3 Majors, and almost won the US Open at Winged Foot.

So true. I was discussing this with some guys on the practice green yesterday. We all agreed, however, that it wasn't Tiger's return that fueled Phil....but the same objective they both are getting geared up for.....Augusta. That's the pearl they are both after. The game needs it's heroes and villians out there swashbuckling their way around the tourneys....we demand our excitement.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I really don't think that the number 1 WGR means much. We all know who the best player is right now: Tiger. Whether or not he's ranked #1 doesn't determine that. Phil is simply not as good as Tiger and a #1 WGR won't change that.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

Whatever you think about whether Phil would deserve it or not, if he was to take the number 1 position that's all the history books would show, there wouldn't be an asterisk signifying that he did it when Tiger was sitting on the couch at home playing Playstation. You can only beat the guys that are on the course and if that's what Phil has done, good luck to him. If Phil was #1 you could be darn sure Tiger would be going all-out to get it back. Nothing like a bit of motivation to blow away the cobwebs. At the end of the day, I think it would be good for golf.

What's in my Eagles & Birdies Bag:
taylormade.gif R9 SuperTri Stiff 10.5˚
mizuno.gif MX-700 15˚ 3W Stiff
mizuno.gif MX-700 20˚ & 23˚ Hybrid Stiff
mizuno.gif MP 52 4-PW Nippon 950 Stiffmizuno.gif MP - T 10 52˚/07˚ & 58˚/10˚ping.gif Redwood Anser 34"titleist.gif Pro V1x FJD   

Ditto that. Even Phil would admit that a #1 rank at this point wouldn't mean anything. He said as much in his post-round interview Sunday.

Coming from a Mickelson fans perspective i would enjoy this immensly

I was looking at it from a different perspective. Sure it wont mean anything if Phil gets the number 1 spot.. but If Tiger doesnt win at bay hill, and Phil can finish ahead of him, which i admitt is unlikely.. and then win the masters (he's an early favorite). And from there on duel it out with Tiger for number 1 coming down the stretch, and then to the end of the year to make it official. If Phil plays his best golf, 6 wins and a major arent out of the question. If he can catch and finish the season at number 1 i think that brings some merrit to the #1 ranking.

904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2

If Phil plays his best golf, 6 wins and a major arent out of the question. If he can catch and finish the season at number 1 i think that brings some merrit to the #1 ranking.

I am a HUGE Phil fan... but I'm not going to hold my breath. I would be happy if he won one more major this year... and three more before his career is over. I doubt he will even reach #1 let alone stay there any significant amount of time.

The no. 1 rank means nothing.

This is the kind of talk I would expect after Tiger looses his number 1 ranking. Tiger hasn’t lost it yet and now number 1 doesn't mean anything?

It may not mean anything to Tiger or Phil, but it means everything to all us little guys who get enjoyment, and even some kind of entitlement out of their man being number 1. Every time I turn on the Golf Channel all I hear is "world number 1 this, and world number 1 that". So don't start with the "world number 1 doesn't mean anything" stuff. If nothing else, it means something to the TALKING HEADS that pollute my TV every night. World number 1 does mean something, and If I could have it for ONE DAY, I would be happy for the rest of my life, no matter what the circumstances where!

I am a HUGE Phil fan... but I'm not going to hold my breath. I would be happy if he won one more major this year... and three more before his career is over. I doubt he will even reach #1 let alone stay there any significant amount of time.

Its unlikely, but not impossible

904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2

i think it would be horrible for golf tiger gone cause of surgery and phil takes over cause he couldnt play..think of it like this if you were sick a couple days coming back to sorry you were demoted not cause hes better than you but cause he was here while you were gone.....

I really don't think that the number 1 WGR means much. We all know who the best player is right now: Tiger. Whether or not he's ranked #1 doesn't determine that. Phil is simply not as good as Tiger and a #1 WGR won't change that.

If Tiger doesn't start winning again, he's isn't going to be the best player in the world any more, is he?

Tiger has to prove that he is still #1, and there's only one way to do that. Yes, the #1 world ranking does mean something and I'm quite sure that Tiger knows it.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Taking over #1 with Tiger on the sidelines obviously isn't as satisfying as outright beating him, but it's still #1. Obviously it doesn't mean that you beat the guy, and no one (least of all Phil) is going to misunderstand that. Still, there are plenty of other golfers who could have taken over #1 in his absence and didn't so it's not like it's a meaningless statistic.

But, let's face it, #1 is #1 among active players, and Tiger hasn't been active. It doesn't make sense to say he's still #1 until he starts cleaning house again.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Note: This thread is 5518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!