IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

As a final thought for all of those that think being one dimensional makes a person great, they should meet their idol, that can change your mind as to who you think is great.

That makes no sense to me at all. I haven't seen anybody say that "being one dimensional makes a person great" and it's unlikely that any golfer would win anything being one dimensional.

Meeting your "idol" means next to nothing. Plenty of people act one way in public and another in private. I know two people that worked at some courses holding PGA tournaments in the 70s and their stories about some of the players off of the course don't match what I would have thought about them, both good and bad.

Of course those are only their opinions and perceptions but at least they were there.

3) The equipment, training, and support was a joke compared to Tiger's

4) Today's tour player is catered to, they want for little, they have people that do everything for them, in Jack's day they carpooled in caravans, they didn't get mattresses flown in because they slept funny.

Thanks for mentioning some of the reasons why the fields are stronger today ;-)

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

79 - Why? Because he quits playing when he knows he can't win. I don't need to say anything else, he proved my point today.

Yep, you're right. I've totally changed my mind and now think Jack's career was better due to Tiger shooting a 79 at his first tournament of the year. Is that seriously the coup de grace of your argument?

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

79 - Why? Because he quits playing when he knows he can't win. I don't need to say anything else, he proved my point today.

That must explain why he was +7 after the first 6 holes and then shot even par for the rest of the round.  Too bad he didn't "quit playing" sooner.  You were exactly backwards.  He started lousy and then kept grinding away to try to me th 54 hole cut.

But keep trying,  Someday you will make a valid point.  Just not this day, so far.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

That must explain why he was +7 after the first 6 holes and then shot even par for the rest of the round.  Too bad he didn't "quit playing" sooner.  You were exactly backwards.  He started lousy and then kept grinding away to try to me th 54 hole cut.

But keep trying,  Someday you will make a valid point.  Just not this day, so far.

Except you've got it backwards.  TW started on the 10th hole on Saturday, and was barely hanging on until his 9th hole of the day, #18, when he splashed his second shot.  From then on he was only going through the motions.  I was there, and his body language and demeanor were not those of someone grinding to make the cut.  After he bogeyed #3 (his 12th hole of the day) he totally looked like someone who couldn't wait to get out of town.

Except you've got it backwards.  TW started on the 10th hole on Saturday, and was barely hanging on until his 9th hole of the day, #18, when he splashed his second shot.  From then on he was only going through the motions.  I was there, and his body language and demeanor were not those of someone grinding to make the cut.  After he bogeyed #3 (his 12th hole of the day) he totally looked like someone who couldn't wait to get out of town.

Yeah, he was one under on the day (-2 for the tourney) through his first 8 holes, then he went double, double, bogey, bogey, bogey, bogey, bogey, birdie, par, par to finish out.  I can't imagine that there is a professional golfer who ever walked the face of the earth that would have positive body language and demeanor when playing that way.  Just because he doesn't look like he's having a good time does not that really mean that he isn't trying.

Also, we get to watch Tiger now, and will continue to watch him play for another 10-15 years, but Jack hasn't played competitively for several.  Those of us who didn't watch every single round of every single tournament that Jack played (which, for the record, is EVERYBODY ON THE PLANET since they only used to show the back nine on Saturday and Sunday when golf was on TV) can't possibly know if he ever had "bad body language or demeanor."  (I suspect that he did)

Oops.

Rich - in name only

The following numbers of tournament wins from Wikipedia makes it clear that Tiger is already the best ever!

PGA         European Tour        Majors          Champions tour       other             Totals

Jack Nicklaus              73                   0                        18                     10                    33                  134

Tiger Woods                 76                   40                     14                       N/A                 16                  146

Look up POY awards, scoring titles(Vardon) money titles, Honestly 18 vs 14 is the only spot Jack is ahead. Not to mention Jack's career is over while Tiger isn't even 40.

Look up POY awards, scoring titles(Vardon) money titles, Honestly 18 vs 14 is the only spot Jack is ahead. Not to mention Jack's career is over while Tiger isn't even 40.

The POY and money titles were not mentioned in  Wikipedia.

The number that really jumps out is the 40 European wins. That make's him 3rd in Europe behind  #1 Seve B. (50) and # 2 Bernard L. (42). I would bet Tiger has that 50 number on his bucket list just as much as the majors titles.

I would bet that Jack will have more Champions tour titles only because I can not see Tiger bothering with that tour.

I agree. Also look at Tiger's WGC records. I know Jack didn't get to play in those events but the fields are probably better than the fields in the majors in Jacks era.

Gee, wouldn't it be great if we could have a 235 page thread discussing every detailed aspect of this issue?

Oh, wait . . .

• Upvote 2

Rich - in name only

Funny thing about generations, we typically favour the one we are part of. I won't argue Orr or Gretzky because I watched them both. If you never saw Jack, then you don't know Jack! When you age a little you might understand.

Funny thing about generations, we typically favour the one we are part of. I won't argue Orr or Gretzky because I watched them both. If you never saw Jack, then you don't know Jack! When you age a little you might understand.

Facts is facts. I don't need to watch a guy play in order to see how strong his career was. There are plenty of people who hold guys like Bobby Jones, Walter Hagen, Gene Sarazen, Byron Nelson, etc. in the pantheon of golfing gods, but there are very few that can recall watching them in their prime. You don't have to live through history to be able to appreciate it.

But I get it. You're sentimental. Jack is your guy. That's fine. He may be your favorite golfer; you may consider him the best man to have played the game; you may even think he's the most talented person to ever play. But you can't debate emotions, only facts. And the facts say that Tiger is already the greatest golfer of all time. He could retire today and would still go down as the GOAT. Jack might be the "greatest major champion" of all time, but not the greatest golfer.

Tyler Martin

How long did it take you to think up that masterpiece? Give me a break if you didn't see him blah blah blah. I didn't see Babe Ruth and I know hes great. Don't pull the old man card my dad saw both of them and he thinks Tiger is better as if today so come up with some facts before you say Jack.

Gee, wouldn't it be great if we could have a 235 page thread discussing every detailed aspect of this issue?

Oh, wait . . .

YOU DON'T HAVE TO PARTICIPATE YOU KNOW.

I JUST HAVE NEVER SEEN THE THERE NUMBERS CATEGORY BY CATEGORY BEFORE. THE FACT IS THAT THERE IS REALLY NO CONTEST AND TIGER IS ONLY 38.