IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

If Tiger can stay fit now he's had the op i think his drive and determination to equal and then beat Jacks record will keep him going. I just hope in the next 5 years we get some young and hungry golfers who can challenge Tiger and not get intimidated by him.

Tiger's swing is deeply flawed due to the fact he "snaps" his left knee straight during impact...this has been putting an incredible strain on that wobbly left knee.

He's been getting away with it till now.

Unless he overhauls his golf swing his career and his quest to beat Jack's major record may be short lived.

Tiger's swing is deeply flawed due to the fact he "snaps" his left knee straight during impact...this has been putting an incredible strain on that wobbly left knee.

While agree, I don't think an overhaul as much as a slight adjustment is necessary.

Outside of Palmer, no great player that I can remember, swings so hard. So, IMHO, Tiger can change his tempo and sacrifice some distance. Or he can learn to bend his left knee and finish off balance like Arnie did. Palmer did stiay healthy his whole career despite his violent swing because of his follow-through.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Hey everyone,

New to the forum here and thought I'd chime in...

I really feel that the competition back in Jacks day wasn't as good as it is today.

I know everyone is going to say that there were better players back then because of the household names, but if you look at the pure number of players that actually played the game of golf then and now then our game today should be considered a more competitive era. The more people that play a game the more likely you are to find a Phenom or someone who has the potential to dominate.

This kind of goes back to how Wilt Chamberlain was so dominate in his day. If the game had been as global as it is today those players would not have been so dominate. Michael Jordan never scored 100 points in one game, did not win the most championships, did not hold the highest career average, etc but we see him as the best player to play the game. He had to play with far greater competition and with far more players with similar athletic ability.

If you take away Nicklaus from his day, you would have a small handful of players that would have won all those majors and may have been who we would be comparing Tiger to. If you take tiger away there are a hundred golfers that would split up the majors because there are that many good players out there.

This is why I feel Tiger is the best. With the population of golf expanding to numbers that far exceed Nicklaus' day we have to give it to Tiger for still dominating the sport.

My two cents.

Eddie

tiger woods never had to play with actually wood "woods"

jack owns that fool

plus jack lifts his left foot a bit like me

HES THE MAN

I voted for Tiger.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

Definitely Tiger, it seems like there was more competition back in Jack's day but the courses are longer and tougher now. Also Tiger's competition is young strong and always coming back for more. Every year a new young up and comer is out to challenge Tiger and he isn't exactly a youthful guy anymore, still young but not as young as his competition. but he still kicks the fields butt.

Definitely Tiger, it seems like there was more competition back in Jack's day but the courses are longer and tougher now. Also Tiger's competition is young strong and always coming back for more. Every year a new young up and comer is out to challenge Tiger and he isn't exactly a youthful guy anymore, still young but not as young as his competition. but he still kicks the fields butt.

there is WAY more competition for Tiger than Jack. Golf is now accesible to the masses whereas in Jacks day it was still a "country club sport" I still say Tiger FTW

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black