IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

They had conversations comparing Jack and Arnold no doubt and Im sure it was Arnold versus Hogan or Nelson or Snead so this is nothing new...Fans of those older players dont want to abandon the player they have loved for years so its normal...Maybe when some kid comes along who plays better than Tiger and breaks all his records there will be the Tiger fans who will bristle at the notion that this new kid is better than the Great Tiger.....

Your not wanting to crown Tiger yet is pretty normal...Hell I love Jack too

18 majors - until then......next!
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

Pass out the right guard! This argument er discussion could last another decade!
I have never had my opinion vary so much on one topic as this one. One day I read the post and I just know Jack was equal or better than Tiger, then I log on another day and someone has convinced me Tiger is the best!
Great job by all of you who actually posted opinions and backed them up with comments and statistics. It's your thoughfulness that make this the first site I log on too everyday!
After watching Tiger today, I'll give him my vote for now.....
T-Bone Marshall
Home Course: www.waldenponds.com (74.1/134) 7001 yds
in my bag
Driver: Big Ben cs3 10.5 Stiff/Draw set up
Fairway: Hogan Edge 3,5 metal:Irons: Hogan Radial-Apex shaftWedge: Hogan "Tom Kite" 56* Radial "E" wedgePutter: Affinity vr7 "V-Rod" pro-v1x ball2 markers, Disney divot tool,...

• 2 weeks later...
As it stands right now Jack is the best. 18 majors and a ton of second place finishes is a powerful point but lets talk about the competition he had compaired to Tigers...I recently read an article where they compared Jack and Tigers opponents final round scoring averages. Jack's adversaries showed well with strong final rounds averaging between 68-69. Tigers opponents however; failed to even break par on average at just over 72. I know this is a debate that will go on until Tigers carreer has ended, but Jack won all of his tournaments no one layed down and let him take them. Im not saying that Tiger doesnt win and deserve tournaments, because in a lot of cases he does, he goes out and completely over powers the entire field...Im just saying that all those "incredible" comeback charges he makes on the weekends might not have stood up if other players hadn't failed to shoot sub-par rounds. I think the next few years will bode well for this debate. I do beleive Tiger will break Jacks record, but I also believe that some of the young talents on tour right now are only going to get better and more competitive, which inturn will push Tiger to an even higher level than anyone thought possible.

I'm not a big fan of Tiger (he's great, just don't like him too much, but obviously have a TON of respect for him), and even I say he is the best.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I wasn't alive in Jack's time, so I didn't see him play, I obviously know of his great achievements, but I have to vote Tiger because I've seen more, and I think he's fantastic.
In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

Only time will tell but I think Tiger has a better all around game - my prognastication is that Tiger will surpass Jack's major title count...

Driver: Ping Rapture V2 9° TFS Stiff | 3 wood: Exotics CB 15° Fujikura HL Stiff | Hybrids: Adams Idea Tech V3 16° Stiff, TM Burner Rescue 19° & 22° REAX Stiff | Irons: Titleist 735.CM DG S300 5-PW | Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 254.10, 258.08 | Putter: Rossa Imola 34"

Absolutly 1986 was the best masters ever....it would be nearly impossible to top that

Wait a minute there buddy...Hold on a minute..While 1986 was certainly a thrilling moment...I think 1997 was a bit more special...The 21 year old phenom issuing in a new era in golf. Taking his place in the kingdom of golf..This was the true introduction of Tiger Woods..And he made some truly awesome shots to boot..

1997 The Greatest Masters. p.s That British Open wasnt bad either.

Wait a minute there buddy...Hold on a minute..While 1986 was certainly a thrilling moment...I think 1997 was a bit more special...The 21 year old phenom issuing in a new era in golf. Taking his place in the kingdom of golf..This was the true introduction of Tiger Woods..And he made some truly awesome shots to boot..

haha....yep the two will argued about in every aspect of golf. What can we agree upon? For me it's the fact that I am lucky enough to have wittnessed both players in my lifetime.....now thats a treat. Go Tiger!!!

I haven't followed golf for long enough to truly make an intellgent decision, but from what I watched on Jack and now see of Tiger...have to go with Tiger..even if though I think that sometimes his ego is larger than life..

driver:G2 graphite reg flex
FW:HiBore 3w, G2 7w
Irons:: x20, 4-pw steel shaft uniflex
wedges: SW and GW, steel reg
Putter: G5 Craz-eBalls:Callaway HX Hot

I would say that these both great champion golfers so to emphasize, Jack William "The Golden Bear "Nicklaus and Eldrick "Tiger" Woods, are really one of a kind in terms of sports professionalism but still I'd go for Tiger. I've watched him play a couple of times and he's excellently a man of golf...

evaldez
ABC of Golf

Without reading through hundreds of posts though i'm sure it's been mentioned that Tiger has lived in an era where equipment can improve your game far more than in Jack's time. I'll go with Jack, he sustained a level of excellence for many, many years. Maybe in another 10-15 years i will say Tiger.

Adding my 2 cents to the long conversation, the notion that Jack had "tougher competition" is not necessarily true. Those who say that need to think about what that means. Is that because Jack was playing with other "greats"? Because it may be that Tiger is dominating so much that other players don't even get the chance to make the "great" status. When someone is so dominant, like a Michael Jordan for instance, people will always say he didn't have competition. The answer, he DID, but he dominated everyone so it SEEMED like he didn't have any competition.

Jordan went against Charles Barkley, Isiah Thomas, and Karl Malone. Those 3 are Top 50 all time players, possibly even Top 25. Tiger has Phil, Vijay, and Zach Johnson (haha, HAD to throw that in there). But seriously, these are GREAT golfers Tiger is facing yet they don't seem like the "hall of fame" caliber of an Arnold Palmer or Gary Player due to the fact that Tiger is winning the tournaments that THEY should win.

So competition is the same today as it was before, even more so possibly because every Tour player has a top-notch coach, top-notch equipment, and everything else 21st century that attempts to even the playing field.