IGNORED

Layer Upper or Going for it?

Note: This thread is 5500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you lay up or go for it

• Lay up
    • Go for it

There is a huge difference when a par five is fronted by water (with no other side entrance) or a deep hazard (a canyon or similar.) If missing the green only means various levels of chipping or pitching, or even a bunker, go for it. If a slight miss means a penalty stroke and a drop 100 yards from the green, decide what your 9 out of 10 shot yardage is and play smart.

RC

Me and woods have never gotten along and my hybrid hits about 220-230 and i need about 250-260 to get there in 2. Considering my driver with 9.5 degrees of loft only gots about 260-270 i find it hard to believe that spending money on a 3 wood or 1 hybrid 14 degrees will get me there in two and then this will just be another club that is hardly ever used and just a waste. Atleast now i can use the 17 degree hybrid on some par 3's

Speed LD F Stiff Shaft 9.5*
3dx dc 2 ironwood 17*
3dx dc 4 ironwood 23*
710 AP1 5 - P
50.08 Spin Milled CC 56.11 Spin Milled CC 60.04 Spin Milled CCDual Force 2 Putter #1 Pro V1xForget your opponents; always play against par. ~Sam Snead

This year I'd like to get a real golf handicap, so I'll be practising a bit of course management, which for me will mean laying up a bit more often than going for it.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

I always go for it. My short game and putting is pretty strong, so even if I miss the green its no big deal.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Depends on trouble around green. Friday on a par5 I bombed one 290 on a 510 yd and the lie was right in fway and saw no trouble around the green. pulled out a 5 iron and carried to the approach and ran up pin high from 15 feet. Missed eagle but got another Birdie!

earlier that day I layed up on a 210 yd carry over water par 4. It was so windy & coming from 2oclock i got sceered. That being a new course to my eyes and me playing solo made me play a bit more careful. The worst was a par 4 downhill, the sign at the tee said "200 yds to water" well not knowing where the water was I wanted to lay up, and I chunked my iron off the tee. Took me 3 strokes to get to the water! I googlemapped the course and the 200 yds was from ladies tee! The whites were all the way back to the tips and it was 250 ! I would have played driver and hit it low for a short drive. Ugg.

Played this weekend and had 225 to a front pin over water into a gail. I went for it and the ball went for a swim. I dropped, hit a 6-iron to within 12 feet and lipped the par. I never worry about it, it's just a golf ball. Now, if it's a new ball, I might think twice.....might. You never learn and get better unless you push your abilities.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

I am a bomber so I look to try and hit every par five in two, within reason of course. I have irons into most par 5's so laying up would be kind of ridiculous. At my home course the par fives go from like 500 and to about 530 so a lot of the time I only have mid irons or sometimes even short irons into them.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

even thought I always have the distance to go for it (usually 200-250 to the green), I don't trust my longer clubs enough to do it. I lay up to my comfort club (solus 51 degree gap wedge) about 120 yards out.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

risk/reward... if you have the confidence to make it... go for it... if youre second guessing... lay up...
me... i go for it... whatever gets me closer to the hole in the least amt of strokes is worth it
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Note: This thread is 5500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!