IGNORED

I hate Wedges

superotto80
Note: This thread is 5513 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Short wedge shots can be aggravating as heck.

Hopefully these guys can school you up.

Lately on the short shots that have to get up and come down soft....I just open the face of my SW up and take a healthy swing.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I agree with BogeyHitter...Shorten up the back swing and accelerate through the ball. Shortening my back swing has helped me so much with my short irons. Now my woods are my worst enemies...lol.

----------------------------------------------------------------
What's in My Bag?
Driver - R9 460 10.5* UST Proforce V2
F Wood - SQ2 3W 15* UST Proforce V2
Hybrid - Baffler DWS 20* Fujikura SpeederIrons - Pro CB (4-PW) Project X 6.0Wedges - CG14 52* CG12 56* & CG15 DSG 60* Putter - Studio...

x2! Put that ball back in your stance, shorten your backswing, and ACCELERATE through that damn ball! LOL. Control your distance through the length of your backswing. Dont try to take anything off of your downswing. Always accelerate hard down into the back of the ball. Doing this has VASTLY improved my wedge play.

Something simple that has helped my short iron and wedge striking recently is ball placement. Previously I was playing my 8-9 toward the middle of my stance and wedges more toward the front foot, trying to get the ball in the air by hitting it on the upstroke. After reading on this site about ball placement (

In my bag:

R9
Burner 3w
Burner 5w Burner Plus 4I-SW 60* LW, 52* GW Rossa Spider putter

I use to blade em across the green, like everyone else. Many times too wristy, but;

The key for me was to keep my head down looking at the grass that was under the ball.

A drill that helped was to break the tee off near the top and push it into the ground so the ball sits above it not necessarily on it. You need to see that tee before you look up to see where the ball went.

The problems you speak of are usually caused by deceleration, which is usually caused by fear of flying the green. I used to have the same problem until I learned not to worry about flying the green. The way I play those short wedge shots is to put the ball slightly back of center and put most of my weight on my front foot. Then I'll take a half backswing and make sure I hit through the ball to a good finish. One thing I really focus on is my takeaway. I want to be sure I take the club back until the butt end is pointing straight down at the ground (wrists fully cocked) before I start my downswing.

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

I hate wedgies too. They're uncomfortable and throw your whole swing out of whack. Hard to fix them on the course without people pointing and laughing.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

So i was wondering. i have been playing for a year. I am very happy with my self taught improvement. My last round I shot a 102 which I am happy with. By far my biggest problem comes within 60 yds. I cannot hit a wedge at all. I would give you details but i chunk, top, slice and hook with my wedges. It really starts with my 9iron and any club shorter than that. Any tips!

i would go to a teaching pro...if you're having issues with scoring irons, you'd better get that looked at. the rewards of being able to hit with and control your shorter irons is what's gonna push you to breaking 90....then 80.... long game is cool....but short game from 120 in is how i save most of my rounds and holes from being terrible.....

DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

easy answer watch this video and it will transform your short game, it has mine

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Great videos. My advice (since everyone's an expert, including me : ) is to do what pretty much everyone else is already saying:
  1. Open your stance a bit to help clear your hips and shoulders.
  2. Play the ball alittle further back so crisp contact is easier.
  3. Lean your weight foward , very important.
  4. Take an abbreviated backswing so you accelerate through the ball.

These are the basics that I've learned and it helps you be a solid short gamer even if you don't play very often. Once you get the feel of things you can start moving the ball more foward in your stance and opening up the clubface so that you can get more height on the ball if needed.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

watch this:
ok, for whatever reason it wont let me type the link to the video. so go to youtube.com and type this into the search bar: "PurePoint Golf Video Lessons - Vary Your Short Game Distances"

that video did wonders for my short game. all you have to do is alter the length of your backswing for each of your wedges and that will give you differenct, proportionate distances.

as for actually hitting the ball, my advice is to choke down on the club, keep your weight forward, keep your shaft leaning forward, and accelerate through the ball.

hope this helps

In My Ozone Stand Bag:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff
3 Wood: Burner 15* Stiff
Hybrid: Burner 19* Stiff
Irons: Tour Burner 4-GWWedges: CG14 54.12, 58.12Putter: SabertoothBall: TP Back Rangefinder: GX-IHome Course: http://www.strawberryridgegolfcourse.com/

watch this:

You have to use the youtube tags.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

impoving ball contact (and this works for any club), when you're at the range, hit 10-20 balls using at most a 50% swing and get used to hitting the ball solid. Then on your next ten take it up to 60%, and keep working up to a full swing. I had a horrible swing curse for a month in high school and forced my way into hitting my irons again this way

My Bag 
Driver:         905R 9.5* Dyamana Whiteboard

3W:            909F2 15.5* Diamana Blueboard

Utility:          Idea Pro Black 18*

Irons 3-PW: 690MB Project X 6.0

Wedges:     Vokey Spin Milled 50*/Vokey Spin Milled 58*

Putter:        Studio Select Newport 1.5

impoving ball contact (and this works for any club), when you're at the range, hit 10-20 balls using at most a 50% swing and get used to hitting the ball solid. Then on your next ten take it up to 60%, and keep working up to a full swing. I had a horrible swing curse for a month in high school and forced my way into hitting my irons again this way

The focus at the lower power swing is contact. True, solid, consistant contact. Which comes from true, solid, consistant swing fundimentals.

LD F Speed 9.5 Driver Stiff
MX 700 3W Stiff
MP Fli Hi 2, 3, 4
MP 52 5i-9i
MP-T 47.06, 51.06, & 58.10 White Hot XG Teron Putter ProV1x ShoesQUOTE:"I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones" - Terry "The Wedge Guy" Koehler

Note: This thread is 5513 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!