IGNORED

Will Michelle Wie make it to Wing Foot?

Smoked-the-3wood
Note: This thread is 6540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks for the answers guys!

It's really remarkable we are even discussing this right now. It's a very solid possibility that Michelle Wie will be playing in the U.S. Open. My personal opinions aside, it's pretty damn crazy to think about.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

exactly how I see it, trying to ignore all the morons making it a gender issue, taking spots away, going for publicity etc.
it's a 16 year old kid.... amazing. bogey on her 1st hole (10th) in the 2nd round will hurt, but she followed up with 2 pars, didn't get rattled... GO WIE!

She's probably gonna have to get to -4 or -5. Gonna be tough.
In the bag:

Callaway Big Bertha 454 9* w/ Aldila NV 65-S shaft
Callaway Big Bertha 3-Wood
Titleist DCI 981 irons Cleveland 588 60* and 64* wedgesOdyssey White Hot #5 center shafted putterBridgestone B330/Callaway HX Tour balls

Hole #15... "12 feet right and long of pin. Just misses birdie putt on the right edge" not again... this might come back to hunt her

Back to -2 after 26 ... maybe the putter is getting on track. -3 has a shot. -4 should secure a playoff spot at the very least.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Live scoring...

Hole 27, 605 yards par 5

The buzz is back in the gallery and speculation on the playoff number is rampant. All three find the fairway and lay up for their crucial thirds. Wie, center of the fairway, hits a one-hander that stops 40 feet short. Hartmann and Gossett both pace the yardage to the front. Gossett doesn't reach the fringe from the left rough, Hartmann to 30 feet below the hole. Gossett's fourth is a bump-and-run to 4 feet. Wie is also is 3 feet short. Hartmann's ball hops a few times and stops 2 feet away. The pace is slowing and it seems as if the players realize the importance of each stroke, taking longer and longer. Gossett misses left and then left again, electing to wait before holing out. Wie, having to follow Gossett's carnage, takes an extra moment over the ball before pouring it in. Gossett and Hartmann finish up.

2 under through 27.

Bury me with a golf glove in my pocket - just in case!

A three-putt on the 31st hole to slide back to 1 under. She's going to need to turn it on now or it's just going to be a nice effort. -3 is currently T16, but a couple more guys could easily get to -4.

--Groucho Marx

She just missed an 18-inch putt for par on the 32nd hole to fall back to even. I think that may be it for Michelle Wie's hopes this time around, but there are still four holes left.

Rats. Well, unless she totally blows up she should beat her playing partners as well as more than half the field, which a lot of people didn't think would happen.

I mean ... she's 16! I'd have soiled my Sansabelts long before the 32nd hole had I played with this kind of pressure at 16. Luckily, my main concern in golf at 16 was finding enough balls during the round to keep pace with those I was losing so I could finish.

--Groucho Marx

yeah, too bad, she's pulling a "Freddie at the Masters" - great ball striking, but putter has a bulge in the face. I'm sad

i think i woulda like to seen her compete at a us open

Driver-Wilson Deep Red II .428 shaft (stiff)
3 Wood-Mizuno T-Zoid Blue Rage (stiff)
5 wood-Mizuno T-Zoid Blue Rage (stiff)
3 Iron Hybrid- Wilson fat shaft(17*)
4 Iron Hybrid- Wilson fat shaft(21*)5-PW-Wilson fat shaft52-56-68 Degree wedges- Wilson HarmonizedPutter- Top Flite Mallet

6 putts from within 5ft, 2 from 3ft - all misses. She definitely has the game for it, unfortunatelly it seems like she doesn't have the mental make-up to finish off? Her stats were great tee to green, once on the flat surface however her and her caddy seemed to be a team of Ray Charles and Steve Wonder
Good thing about being 16 years old - they'll always be the next year...

Think about how much experience she'll have by the time she's 18. It's gonna be fun!

--Groucho Marx

6 putts from within 5ft, 2 from 3ft - all misses. She definitely has the game for it, unfortunatelly it seems like she doesn't have the mental make-up to finish off? Her stats were great tee to green, once on the flat surface however her and her caddy seemed to be a team of Ray Charles and Steve Wonder

I just got back from a remote location so i am just now catching up on things. Without trying to sound too critical or bragadocious, Wie's finish seems typical of her. How many times has she been in the running and melted at the end. Before you start flaming me Rafi, hear me out.

Her talent is phenominal and probably unmathed in history. A 16 year old girl competing on this level and being that close is nothing short of remarkable. But...(the proberbial but), she has always had problems finishing. My opinion is that she never really learned how to win. She skipped juniors, high school, college, and now she is sortof skipping the LPGA in order to try for the Grand Prize, winning a PGA event. That lack of experience in shutting down the competition and finishing an event is hurting her now. As talented as she is she has no chance of winning on the PGA tour now. If she had or does learn to win and finish a tournament she might develop that abilitiy. Look at two girls, Wie and Pressel. Morgan won everything at every level she has played. Last year's Women's Open was in her hands except for a fluke sandy by an unlikely player. Wie was in the lead starting that day but faded. Wie has way more talent that Pressel but has won a fraction of what she has. We may se Wie on the PGA tour or at a US Open one day. But she will have to learn how to beat somebody first.

In The Bag:
R7 425 10.5 Fujikara ReAx stiff
3,5 Wood Aldila NV 75s
Rescue Dual 16 deg 3i hyb
R7 XD steel/stiff 52deg and 56deg TP White Hot XG 2 ballHome Course: River Crossing

I'm not flaming (at least I hope I'm not!!!). There is no doubt in facts - she hasn't won much. I'm not a sport psychologist (even though I listen/read every of Rotella's publications) but I'm not buying into the "learn to close out, learn to win" theory. Experience in big events is important, no doubt, and that's why she should be playing in these events every chance she gets

• Administrator
She skipped juniors, high school, college, and now she is sortof skipping the LPGA in order to try for the Grand Prize, winning a PGA event.

That's a completely bogus argument. She is playing the most LPGA Tour events she's allowed.

Bivens and crew are not letting her compete on the LPGA Tour as a member. She is a pro - she's playing where she can, and on the LPGA as many times as they'll let her.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

She could have petitioned the LPGA for an exception to thier age limit. I have feeling they would have granted it to her. Instead she keeps this Quixotic attempt to make some sort of statement. The positive experience gained from compteting in men's events I think will be tempered by the negative experience of never quite succeeding.

I am no sports psychologist either, but there is something to learning the killer instinct. Ask Jack, Arnie, Tiger, and the rest of the legends and they will talk about that. (don't ask me to document the scource, I offer this only anecdotally). Why do teams with playoff experience do better? There is something to it.

Of course she could be happy just counting her money without ever winning anything.

In The Bag:
R7 425 10.5 Fujikara ReAx stiff
3,5 Wood Aldila NV 75s
Rescue Dual 16 deg 3i hyb
R7 XD steel/stiff 52deg and 56deg TP White Hot XG 2 ballHome Course: River Crossing

Note: This thread is 6540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!