IGNORED

Score better walking vs riding

MarkM
Note: This thread is 5461 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's not cardiovascular, but it still burns calories. More than sex or running four miles.

Or could it be that walkers walk cause they aren't getting any other...exercise?

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

I always tend to play much better walking. I am not really sure what it is but it helps.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

I really enjoy walking more, but I can't really say that I notice any difference in my scoring.

I guess that's a good thing though, because down here, sadly, there just aren't very many places where walking is even an option.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess that's a good thing though, because down here, sadly, there just aren't very many places where walking is even an option.

I was in Florida recently and may I say that you people have the best grass practice ranges I have ever seen.

The whole cart only practice can be a little much I would imagine long term. It's great to be able to walk mostly. Around here on the cheap munis, EVERYONE walks, so a cart really isn't a good option since you'll just be waiting that much more. I do enjoy both very much: Carts on the hots days. Walking on every other type of day. Statistically, I have better rounds when I walk, but that's not a very big sample size. I had my best 9 hole round while riding solo in a cart on an empty course, so I think it doesn't really matter. They both have their pluses and minuses: Carts can rush your overall tempo. It's easier to run into a road block and be waiting longer for your shot which can sometimes affect you, even though I wish it wouldn't. Walking can sometimes drain you of energy, but that's really the only negative, and it doesn't happen badly enough to make walking a detriment. People who get carts in the winter are absolutely insane. I need to walk just to keep my body heat up.

Constantine

It really depends on the temperature for me; if it's a hot day and I'm walking I'm just worn out by the time I get to my ball but if it's a cool day, I generally shoot a little better as I take more time and think things through.

R7 Superquad 10.5° RE*AX 65 Fujikura
R7 Draw Rescue 3H 19°
R7 Draw Rescue 5H 25°
X-20 4-AW
Vokey Spin Milled 54° ChromeCPR 56°Victoria II 35"Pro v1

I enjoy walking. If it is very hot or their is a lot of altitute change then a cart is in order. How I play is determined by the great unknown factor. The last two times I played I shot a 91 then 102. The 91 was on a "America's 100 Greatest Public courses". Much tougher than the course I shot 102 on. I think that is why it is called "GOLF".

Bull about not being exercise. Walk here in the hills and see if you are tired afterwards. I was the thinnest I have ever been when I was walking 90 holes a week.

Amen to that. I generally always walk and carry my clubs. My home course is a 9 hole track in Miamisburg, OH called Mound Golf Course. They call it "the Mound" for a reason. I play at least 18 holes a day (played 36 last saturday and the saturday before that). Tote your clubs up and down the Mound for 36 holes and tell me it ain't exercise. I'm 51 yrs old and in the best shape of my life.

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

90% of the time I play better walking, I have a push cart....call me a 6'2" 240lb sissy, but I hate carrying clubs, i'd rather go work out.

Other reasons:
1. No beer while walking
2. Not rushed
3. Smell the roses....or pond scum on some of the courses I play...but it is relaxing and life slows down....life slows down when you walk.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I actually enjoy walking in hot weather. I feel loose and enjoy the battle. I just make sure I have plenty of water and Gatorade.

I'm down to a 10 handicap. At this rate, I'll get to scratch at 90 years old!

I actually enjoy walking in hot weather. I feel loose and enjoy the battle. I just make sure I have plenty of water and Gatorade.

I love hot weather. Been in Florida for 30 years, less golfers on the course when it's 96 degrees and humid. Break out the big bucket hat and stuff the hidden cooler with gatorade!

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I absolutely score better walking than riding. I think it gives me time to either analyze and option/plan out the next shot, or forget about the last shot and move on. It gives you more time to take your time. If that makes any sense.

:taylormade: R9 9.5d with Fujikura Motore 65 Stiff
ss-07 13deg 3 wood Graphite Design Purple Ice 85-S
Md-17 1i/4w UST V2 Tour Hybrid X
A3 Pro 20 Tour Prototype Mitsubishi Javln X
MP 57 4,5,6 Project X 6.5 MP 67 7,8,9 Project X 6.5 Vokey 200 series 48d Project X satin 6.5/ Vokey 09SMTC 54.11...

i prefer walking because walking gets my muscle warmed up and as the day goes i get better. Also walking gives me a sense of relaxation verse driving. I would only drive if it is late in the day and i want to finish all my holes before dark.

I am huge walking fan. I like it because even if I have a bad day, I can say at least I exercised. I also like playing 3 times for the same price as 2 cart rounds.

I am surprised it took 16 posts for someone to point out the cost factor. That is my first reason for always walking (unless I simply have to ride for some reason). My second reason is that carts often do more damage to the course. Particularly when folks do not follow the rules (90*, cart sign, etc.). I am not anti-cart, but my soul always weeps a little when I see an able-bodied person driving close to the green, driving though standing water, not observing the "90 degree rule," etc. I guess that sounds "purist" but I just think people generally do not have enough respect for the course itself.

i almost always play better when i ride. i can always feel myself fading at the end of a walking round. if im playing 9 then there is no difference in score.

Colin P.

I think I score better walking than riding... let me look at my spreadsheet for recent rounds:

100 - walking
83 - riding
89 - walking
106 - riding
98 - walking
91 - walking
91 - walking
104 - riding

after that i can't really remember if i walked or rode... so by best round was riding but average probably favors walking. And to the guy that said he loved walking in the heat - i'm the same way. I love hot weather (92 and humid is perfect), you just have to drink constantly. Can't stand it when its cooler than around 75.

Driver: Callaway X460 Tour
3 Wood: Callaway X
Hybrid: Adams A3
Irons: X20 Tour 4-PW
Wedges: X-Forged 50, 54 & 58

Walking and with a caddie for me !
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

• 1 month later...

I almost started this very same thread before I did a search.

I seem to stay in the round mentally when I walk vs when I ride. Years ago when I really got into golf I bought an Izzo bag with carry straps with the thought that walking was better for me than riding. It also costs less and at the time being in the Navy with a wife and new baby I wanted to save $$$ but still get in a round or two a week. Now 13 years later with the addition of two more kids, I need to save all the money I can!!

I still have the same bag and carry it unless my 11 yr old comes with.

i seem to shoot better walking as well
but i HATE when i am the only one walking and everyone else is riding..im sure they do too! hahaha!

just feels more relaxed and you can think about the next shot for al ittle longer, mentally prepare for it and the execute

how many tournaments were you allowed to ride? for me, none
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Note: This thread is 5461 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!