IGNORED

Washing Clubs

Note: This thread is 1826 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just today got an R7 Limited and got a chance to play with it. It feels and looks fantastic and I had good results. I am however very thorough about cleaning my clubs after I play, but read in the manual to try to avoid liquids from entering the areas where the removable weights are. Usually I clean my old drivers in the sink with soap and water. Would using this method damage the threads for the removable weights? If not would you have any suggestions to clean the club without damaging the weights and threads?

In My Ping Hoofer 3 Team Bag:
Driver - R9 460 with Aldila ReAx 60 g
3 Wood - :titleist 909f2 with Aldila Voodoo Stiff
Hybrid - 585H 19 degree with Graphite Design YS 85
Irons - AP1 4-PW with TTDGHL S300 Wedges - Vokey SM Tour Chrome 54.11 & 58.08 Putter - Circa 62 No. 3 Ball - ProV1...

Use baby wipes. Sounds crazy going into a CVS and purchasing them but they work really well when cleaning clubs and are very easy to use. Just make sure to grab a damp washcloth to wipe off the bit of soap residue that might be left on.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

but read in the manual to try to avoid liquids from entering the areas where the removable weights are. Usually I clean my old drivers in the sink with soap and water. Would using this method damage the threads for the removable weights? If not would you have any suggestions to clean the club without damaging the weights and threads?

I would think a wipe down with a damp cloth would suffice. Buff the painted parts up with some Zaino or even Turtle wax if you want to preserve that high gloss finish.

Really, how dirty does the tail end of your driver get? Keep it covered and don't lean on it in the mud, it should be pretty easy to maintain.

Use baby wipes. Sounds crazy going into a CVS and purchasing them but they work really well when cleaning clubs and are very easy to use. Just make sure to grab a damp washcloth to wipe off the bit of soap residue that might be left on.

Excellent idea!!! I have a 2 1/2 year old and we get the wet wipes by the case at Sam's Club. We have more small travel containers than we need. I am going to put a few wipes in the container and slide it in the bag so I have something that will clean the tough stains when I am on the course.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I would think a wipe down with a damp cloth would suffice. Buff the painted parts up with some Zaino or even Turtle wax if you want to preserve that high gloss finish.

Zaino, I would not think anyone on here would have even heard of Zaino, I use to used it on my 1995, 2000 Ws6 trans am's, but I had a bad experience after years of using it and I changed over to Mcquires. So what vehicle do you have....

Callaway Big Bertha
Callaway X20
Callaway X460
Callaway FT-i

I use warm water, sometimes soapy but not always. I'd imagine you could just use a wet rag in that same water to wipe it down, and que-tips (did I spell that right?) for getting around the weights.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

Usually a warm rag with a little car wash fluid works for me (i usually fill up a bucket and dunk the clubs in it then wipe them off, but you obviously wouldnt want to do that with the driver)

Like Mr3Putt said, that area of your driver probably doesn't get too dirty, so you shouldn't be too worried about it needing a really good cleaning

What will be in my bag by the end of the summer

[✓] Driver - Burner Draw 10.5°
[x] Woods - Sumo² 15°
[✓] Irons - S9 II 4-GW[x] Wedge - Sure-Out 56°[x] Putter - Ignite[✓] Balls - HVC Tour SF

I too am very adamant about washing my clubs after every round. That being said, I use a small round brush with firm (but not too firm) bristles. I have an R7 Superquad and an R7ti 3 wood that I've been playing for a couple years and have cleaned very consistently with a bit of dish soap and the brush I wrote of. After brushing the clubs, I dry them with a wash cloth. I am particular about getting the spots with the weight ports dry, but I've never encountered any issues with this. I hope this helps!

R7 Superquad

Exotics 18*

Exotics 25*

AP2 (2008)

CG15 56* & 60*

Rossa Imola 8

TP Black LDP

• 2 weeks later...
I second the Baby Wipes, been using them for 10 years to clean my clubs and they work great. If your worried about liquids around the removable weights, try a can of blow-out, you know that stuff they use to blow out the crud in computer key boards. I use it whenever I clean my clubs, blow the water out of any tight area where it could accumulate.

Driver: Callaway FT-9 I-MIX -Aldila VooDoo XVS7
Wood: Callaway FT Tour #3 - Fujikura Fit-On E370 X-Flex
Hybrid: TM Rescue Mid #3 - Project X Flighted 6.5
Irons: Mizuno MP52 (3-PW) - Project X Flighted 6.5
Wedges: Muria 54* & 60* - Rifle SpinnerPutter: Scotty Cameron Red X2Ball: Pro V1

so how does one apply car wax on golf clubs? I want to add some shine to my big berthas thanks

In my TerraFirma X Bag
360 Ti 10.5° Driver
FT-i Squareway 15.0° 3w
04 Big Bertha 19.0° 5w
04 Big Bertha 4-9, PW, GW +1/2" Irons Vokey Spin-Milled 56°10° SW C02 Milled 35" Putter Contour Shoes and SofJoy GlovesA mix of NXT and Laddie Xtreme balls

Geez....I though I was overboard with my club cleaning.

It is nice to maintain clean sticks, though.

My previous method was to wet my golf towel early in the round and keep them wiped down after each shot. A clip on club brush helped with this when they were especially dirty after a shot.

My home course has the handy little cart mounted deals that have a wet brush. Hit your shot....walk over to the cart and dunk your clubhead in there and run it around a bit and it's wetbrushed clean. Wipe it dry on your towel and you are done.....3 seconds tops.

Doing this thoughout the round keeps my sticks in top shape when I leave the course...no addition cleaning needed at the house.

Years ago, my wife caught me rinsing my sticks off in the sink....once...... once ........did I stress once.

I have on occasion used some Testors model paint to brush up the tops of my woods. I haven't had to on these current woods / hybrids as they are finished with the most durable paint I've ever seen...scuff marks wipe off with a wet cloth with ease.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I worry more about my irons than anything else. Then my hybrid and fairway wood. I rarely clean the driver. I used to have an r7 and I cleaned it occasionaly with water with no ill results. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

A wet brush to the club face and a towel to dry it always worked for me.

MacTec 460 Draw Driver
V-Foil M565 Irons
MT 3 Wood
GigaGolf 52deg gap wedge
Wilson 55deg sand wedge MT Don White 60deg Lob wedgeknockoff 2-ball putter

Talk about some OCD people. If you want to get crazy use some P21S wax on the crown and some P21S wheel cleaner on the sole.

« Keith »

• 9 years later...

Reviving a very old thread.   3,607 days old.   Do I get a prize for the oldest revival?

I digress...

I played yesterday in very wet conditions with plenty of standing water (cart path only).    My clubs were a mess even after wiping them after each shot.   I washed them with water and a toothbrush in the laundry tub but I started to wonder... I don't wash the grips as often as the clubs but I'm thinking  it would help preserve the life of the grips.

How often do you wash your grips? 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Reviving a very old thread.   3,607 days old.   Do I get a prize for the oldest revival?

I digress...

I played yesterday in very wet conditions with plenty of standing water (cart path only).    My clubs were a mess even after wiping them after each shot.   I washed them with water and a toothbrush in the laundry tub but I started to wonder... I don't wash the grips as often as the clubs but I'm thinking  it would help preserve the life of the grips.

I don't think I ever have haha.  I usually just wipe them with a towel.  You're right; the clubfaces get all the cleanin' lovin'.

11 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I digress...

A lot of grips will benefit from a good wipe with a wet rag, or even with a mild soapy water and a rag.  Oil from your hands can build up and make them a little slick before their time.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 1826 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!