IGNORED

"Three (3) Clubs Only" Master Thread

huphtur
Note: This thread is 1320 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Agreed this is what I would do also

Originally Posted by TheGeekGolfer

Alot depends on the course and what tees you'll play from (lenth of holes). In general, I would probably pick a Hybrid (tee-shots, bump-n-run around the greens, and putting), 6-iron (played full for 175yd shots or punch type shots for 150yd and down), and a wedge (probably a 52* for 100 yds and in and chip shots).

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Chas

In this context I always think of Phil's blow-up hole on a Sunday a year or two ago (forget where ...).  Drive was pulled or hooked or both (truly horrible shot - shoulda used 3W, very narrow tree-lined fairway), bounced off a roof or something and landed among trees.  Second shot ended in right rough IIRC.  Forget if he made the green on the 3rd but his ball never touched the fairway and the hole probably cost him the tournament as he was 1 or 2 up at the time.  Such is Phil.

He hit a big huge push-slice. Then he hit a tree trying the heroic shot (still the left rough). Third in the bunker, fourth ran through the green - first time he was on the "right" side of the hole. Needed to chip in and failed to do so.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ha, that's funny - I forgot he's a lefty!!  I remembered him losing it left, I can still see that ball totally and wildly gone.  A push-slice into the woods, that's indeed what it was.  I also vaguely remembered a failed heroic but couldn't recall the result -  so there was another blown shot from the rough!  Thanks for setting me straight.

I also think it was one of those tee shots where the commentator said,"Oh no, he's picked driver ..... he isn't really going with that is he? ...... don't do it Phil" or something to that effect.  I usually don't mind his high-risk antics but I was agreeing with the commentator on this one.  To fail to touch the fairway in such a clutch situation - utterly crazy.

OK I give up, which tournament was it?   I could look it up but I'd rather hear it from you - no Googling now.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Chas

OK I give up, which tournament was it?   I could look it up but I'd rather hear it from you - no Googling now.

Really?  The 2006 U.S. Open at Winged Foot -- fairly historic event in golf lore.  The funny thing is, everyone talks about Mickelson screwing up, but little is said about Monty.  He also finished a shot back of Ogilvy (winner).  However, he too ended with a double bogey (6), but he did it from the middle of fairway (somewhere around 170 yards iirc).

• 5 months later...
My club has a weekly 9 hole mens league where they try and change the format every week. One week coming up will be everyone only has 3 clubs in there bag. I've never done this but sounds fun. If anyone has what clubs you pick? I was thinking 3hybrid 8 or 9 iron and putter. Also thought about putting with hybrid and adding a 5 or 6 iron maybe. Any recommendations?

Originally Posted by x-man

My club has a weekly 9 hole mens league where they try and change the format every week. One week coming up will be everyone only has 3 clubs in there bag. I've never done this but sounds fun. If anyone has what clubs you pick? I was thinking 3hybrid 8 or 9 iron and putter. Also thought about putting with hybrid and adding a 5 or 6 iron maybe. Any recommendations?

I like the idea of putting with the hybrid, but for the other clubs I would go with a 6 or 7 and your favorite wedge.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

3h, 7 iron, sand wedge

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

We also do this twice per season, in two versions 3 or 3+Putter ......

3 clubs, my best score came from Hybrid, 6 iron, 9 iron and using the hybrid for putting aswell.

3+Putter ..... Driver, 5 iron, 9 iron + Putter

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Driver + 7i + 60 or 56* flip the wedge around and use the back of it to putt with.

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

in college we played with 4 clubs and a putter from the senior/white tees at our home course every other week or so during the season.  It was great fun and our scores were pretty damn good actually, I shot 73 one day for instance.

I used 3, 7, 9, sand wedge most of the time.  It was only 6100 yards so none of us really needed anything more than a 3 iron.

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue

A friend and I played this morning with each of us bringing 4 clubs and sharing.  I brought putter, 9i 7i and a hybrid.  He brought a putter, gap wedge, 5i, and 3i.  We found we could skip the 9i and the hybird.

I think your club selection really depeneds on the course and your length.  If you are playing a links like course I wouldn't consider bringing a wedge.  For most circumstances I'd go with my 21deg hybrid (210 club), 8 iron (150 club) and a putter.

• 1 year later...

4H, PW, putter

DRIVER: - 910 D3  8.5° / blk Ops stiff shaft

3 Wood:  -  913 Fd  15°

HYBRID:- :ping: -  G25 3H 20°

IRONS:  - 712 AP2, 4-7 : 714 CB - 8-PW

WEDGES - - Vokeys SM4 - 52°-GW, 56°-SW, 60°-Lob

BALLS:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

PUTTER: -  - Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0

4 Hybrid - straight and long, but can create shots and play it short if I need to.

8 Iron - I hit it better than any other iron, and again, I can play it short

putter - I am no good at using the 4h as a putter...and I tried a few times.

In my bag:

Nike Mach Speed Black

Nike Dymo 3 wood

TaylorMade Burner 3 hybrid

Mizuno MP-53 PW-3

TaylorMade RAC 52, 56, 60

Odyssey Black Series Tour Design

Note: This thread is 1320 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!