IGNORED

Dancin Dogg Optishot simulator

Note:Β This thread is 2759 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

So how does know which club you are hitting?Β  Do you calibrate all your clubs up front?Β  Or does it use assumptions?

You setup your bag and pick your club. If playing a course it will auto select based on the yardages you put in. I had one for a little while and it was decent on irons but it cant tell the difference between fat and thin shots. It was fun though, but just not for me. Like said before I just couldn't get into it. Maybe if I had a projector and screen...

I would love to know how accurate this thing is. Β The problem is, the reviews are so polar. Β I sense that some people aren't very sophisticated and will rave about it if its "fun," while others expect it to be as accurate as a trackman even though it doesn't measure the ball. Β According to the website, it gives you the following data:

• Club-head speed
  • Face angle
  • Swing path
  • Distance
  • Swing tempo
  • Face contact - toe/center/heel
  • Visual club-head display
  • Shot tracer technology

I would love to know how accurate it as at measuring these things. Β Obviously, it doesn't measure the ball, so you're not going to have the most accurate distances and shapes, but if this thing can tell you the data listed above very accurately, then it could prove very useful.

Dan

:tmade:Β R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14Β 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron:Β Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

ngs. Β Obviously, it doesn't measure the ball, so you're not going to have the most accurate distances and shapes, but if this thing can tell you the data listed above very accurately, then it could prove very useful.

and there it is, but to have some kind of feedback (Club-head speed,Face angle,Swing path,Distance) and the graphics, would make hitting in the winter much more fun.

I'm thinking about hitting at a heated range once a week or so just to pass the time this winter.Β  And we do have indoor simulators of various kinds in the area.Β  But the rates are up there and this (and a really good space heater) would pay for itself in one season.Β  Let alone doing the whole setup with a projector etc.....

Since I'm still in learning about taking the right amount of divot - this wouldn't be a super training tool other than just being able to hit and stay loose.

Bill -Β 

I would say that if it gives me accurate face angle, swing path, and face contact, AND was fun to use, it would be worthwhile. Β The ability to work on my swing without going to the range or course would be huge.

Dan

:tmade:Β R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14Β 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron:Β Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by ZigZag

Thanks for the feedback. I was also looking at something called p3proswing or something.

I have this one - as far as I can tell it uses the same technology as the optishot and is about as accurate - it does have more sensors, though.Β  I really like mine - have had it for about 3 years now.Β  It is very durable - I have hit tons of irons directly off the surface and you can see some wear - mostly from topping the ball - but still very useable.

I feel like it is quite accurate with regard to path, face angle and face contact (toe, heel, center).Β  Clubhead speed and tempo seem reasonably accurate.Β  Not too sure about angle of attack - that one seems pretty off.

I use it in my garage with a net and it is pretty usefull for working on swingpath and clubface.Β  It's also a good way to "check" myself if I've been just hitting into the net for a period of time - ie - to make sure I'm actually doing what I think I'm doing.

One drawback, though, is the psychological impact of hitting off the box.Β  I know I can go as hard as I want at it and it won't sting my hands, damage my club or the unit. .but for some reason my mind won't let me do it and I find myself holding back a bit.

I only use the range.Β  The courses are useless to me because you can't putt (worth a crap).Β  Not sure if the Opti is better in this regard or not.

I have an Optishot and it has helped lowered my handicap. Putting stinks. Other than that, I can warm up before a round and work onΒ my swing. It doesn't tell youΒ about your "over the top move" or "how youΒ don't keep your spine angle". It tells you how fast you swung,Β how your ball reacted to your swing,Β what your swing path was,Β and how far you hit a specific club. Whatever I do on Optishot actually happens in real life. It will not tell you launch angles and spin rates. I like both the play and practice modes. Lastly,Β hitting driver Β can have it's challenges. So I use 3 wood or 5 wood but leave it on the driver setting. It has helped me groove my fairway woods and my driver.

• 2 weeks later...

SBaconator,

My Optishot doesn't need the net anymore. I took the useless SwingGroover,Β bolted it to plywood, set the Optishot sensor underneathΒ and finally found a good use for theΒ SwingGroover. I replaced the plasticΒ ball with a foam ball (the original plastic ball shattered). Now I don't have to retrieve balls anymore. I have my laptop connected to a 42 inch flat screen. It's cheaper than a projector and screen. It's an indoor unit because it uses infra-red light. If you try to use it outside, the infra-red from the Sun causes the unit to not function.

Amazingwhacker and I describe the Optishot just 1 and 2 posts before yours. I REALLY ENJOY MY OPTISHOT. Not only can you save money warming up before a round at home, you can work on your swing during the winter and "play golf"Β whenΒ the weather is too wet/hot/cold etc.

MAKE SURE you have enough room to swing your clubs AGRESSIVELY before you spend $400 on it.

Originally Posted by SAGolfLuvr

SBaconator,

My Optishot doesn't need the net anymore. I took the useless SwingGroover,Β bolted it to plywood, set the Optishot sensor underneathΒ and finally found a good use for theΒ SwingGroover. I replaced the plasticΒ ball with a foam ball (the original plastic ball shattered). Now I don't have to retrieve balls anymore.

Could you show some pictures for that setup?

I have Optishot and useless SwingGroover too :)

Originally Posted by ceedee

Could you show some pictures for that setup?

I have Optishot and useless SwingGroover too :)

I'll show you the OptiShot/SwingGroover part. I apologize for my lack of photographing expertise.

I put shaved down shims on the floor to level the Optishot as the other side rests on the SwingGroover plate. I drilled a hole into a "firm" foam ball, slipped the rope through and tied the knot below a washer. If you don't do this, the knot will work its way through the foam ballΒ betweenΒ the 5th and 8th swing, sending the foam ball flying.

clever - priced out the Optishot and the Proswing

I'll wait on that for now.

Just set up the PVC/Tarp setup in the garage and it's pretty sweet and does the job for less than $30 total (plus a nice grass matt).

though a bit boring, it's nice to just hit and get that tangible feel feedback even if I can't see any of the flight except the launch angle (from where it strikes the tarp)

maybe the optical system later - if so, I'm getting a projector and replacing the tarp with a white sheet

Bill -Β 

Originally Posted by rehmwa

Just set up the PVC/Tarp setup in the garage and it's pretty sweet and does the job for less than $30 total (plus a nice grass matt).

though a bit boring, it's nice to just hit and get that tangible feel feedback even if I can't see any of the flight except the launch angle (from where it strikes the tarp)

maybe the optical system later - if so, I'm getting a projector and replacing the tarp with a white sheet

Thanks. For the price of the projector, you can put a big flat screen on layaway at a pawn shop. Yes you must make sure you check your laptop or computer to see what connector it has for video output and then make sure the large flat screen has the matching video receiving port. A good projector runs the same or higher price than a flat screen TV (32 to 42 inch) in a pawn shop. Not to mention having an extra flat screen TV can be pretty useful. So you focus on hitting a spot on the tarp/net, you swing, then you look at the flat screen (sitting out of recoil range of your ball) to see the shot. It helps to keep your head down and you will get a crystal clear view. VERY IMPORTANT that the remote control you get from the pawn shop MATCHES the flat screen you get. Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I owned one for about a year. Β I just sold it with the computer I purchased so I could keep it in my garage. Β The optishot is an expensive video game. Β Yes it does show tempo and path and club speed. Β But make no mistake it is not a launch monitor. Β You get no feedback on spin or launch angle. Β I found it to be funner then banging balls into a net. Β It does not pick up your driver unless you buy the optishot driver. Β I used a 3 wood and just set it to driver and it measured swing speed so you can get around it. Β I would advise spending the money on lessons at golftec durning the winter but to each their own. Β It will not help you to improve your swing flaws but it will help you stay busy durning the winter. Β As far a durability the unit does seem to hold up well. Β the rubber tee that came with it only lasted about a week before it wouldn't hold an actual tee anymore i never replaced it. Β If you don't buy the stance pad you will constantly be repositioning it after each shot and I believe the stance pad is expensive. Β And after you buy a net and other items you will be a lot more expensive then you think. Β I have never used any other simulators so I can't comment on if it is better

You don't need a net for Optishot. I've attached a vid of me using 3 wood because the non-reflective bottom of a driver (combined with distance from the sensors when teed up) doesn't register very well on Optishot. Now I hit 3 wood and 5 wood better than ever. I am using the Swing Groover instead of a net. I posted pics of that setup earlier in this thread. Optishot is very enjoyable as I canΒ play full rounds when it's freezing or raining outside and my game in the real world benefits from it.

If you want a great Golf Swing Analyzer for less than $200, the 3 Bays GSA Pro will provide the following data; Consistency, Tempo, Impact Force, Club Head Speed, Ball Speed, Carry Distance, Face Angle, Swing Path, Back Swing and Down Swing Time. I posted more info on this in the 3 Bays GSA thread. No launch angles or spin rates but it's pretty awesome other wise.

I love my optishot, and have no problems with any of my 3 drivers or any other clubs for that matter. Β Sure its not a full blown launch monitor, but its far from a "video game" also. Β Just having the ability to make swing after swing after swing and seeing the ball flight has help my game tremendously. Β When I fist got it and tried some swings my slice was still there, but it showed me that what I was trying to do to fix it was actually making it worse, by showing my face angle, and also that I was constantly hitting it off my toe. Β It was really helpful to be able to make adjustments to my swing/grip and see how it effected the outcome, without having to go to the range. Β The other thing that helped out a lot, is letting me know my distances, the software tracks your shots, so I went to the driving range option and hit each club around 30 times and it when you go to the stats it will show you what your average distance is for what club you are using. Β I put that info in my golf gps app (golflogix) So in the real world I feel confident on what club to use at what ever distance I happen to be at on the course.

I wasn't using a ball, since normally use the optishot in the living room, but now I think I will try the Swing Groover to see how that feels.

I am not trying to say that the Optishot doesn't have its pluses. Β like I said for me it was more fun then just pounding balls into a net. Β I didn't say that it was a waste of money. Β The fun wore off in Β a hurry for me but I was trying to give a review of a product. Β I am saving up to get a full blown launch monitor in my house. Β I guess if you put up a couple high speed cameras then maybe you can get some stuff done. Β On a side note my friends 5 year old son really loved playing on it so its good for the family.

I have the Optishot and I love it.Β Β I have seen mixed reviews on here so I wanted to give my feedback, which I don't usually do.

I have not spent a lot of time on the more expensive monitors but I will tell you the Optishot does provide fairly accurate feedback.Β Β I had to tinker with the settings for a while to get my distances more accurate (I lowered most of my distance %'s to 92%) and now they are pretty close when I hit a good shot.Β Β If I close the club face or hit a pull the ball goes left if I don't rotate and I leave my club face open I get a fade or slice.

It is winter here in PA but we had a beautiful day a few weeks ago, the only hitting I had done was with my Optishot .Β Β I went out warmed up a little and shot a 39 on the front...I am a 12.3 index so that was a good 9 for me.Β Β The Optishot has helped me see the difference between a good swing and a bad swing.Β Β When I think I had pure'd a shot the Optishot usually shows a good result and conversely when I feel I have hit a bad shot I usually see a bad result.

So for me the Optishot was money well spent.

Hi new member here. I bought an Optishot right after Christmas 2012 and think it's the best $399 I've ever spent on "winter in New England"Β golf. Sure it has it's drawbacks, for one you can't manipulate the loft of the club by simply opening the face because it doesn't reat that.Β It doesn't read the ball, it calculates spin by the actions of the club at impact. If you're "in out" for example it calculates the spin you may have given the ball but it doesn't actually read the ball. That's somethingΒ but it's not totally natural. Also your hitting off a platform, you can't take divots, you can't FEEL the sand when your in the bunker or the tall grass of the rough. BUTΒ you also can't feel those conditionsΒ when using top end simulators either.

I played at an OPTIGOLF center a few weeks ago. It cost meΒ $25 for 9 holesΒ of simulated golf and you didn't hit out of sand of you were in a bunker, you couldn't feel the resistance of long grassΒ in the rough and also couldn't take divots. So regardless how good or expensive the simulator is and regardless if it reads the ballΒ rather than the club, even on high end simulatorsΒ you still can't really do things like get under the ballΒ to createΒ backspin, you can't divot and you can't get under a ball in the sandΒ ... so you really have to put things into perspective. The only real golf is real golf, NO simulator is 100% real golf.Β And REAL GOLF is notΒ possible during a New England winter.

For $399 the Optishot tells you the club head speed, face angle, swing path, where you hit the ball on the club face, then calculates that to give you a fairly realistic calculated GUESS what your real world shot would have done. It's 100 times better feedback than we snow bound golfers get from hitting a ballΒ into a net ... or putting our clubs away and not playing until spring. And yes ... like a video game and unlike a hitting net it's FUN!Β I played a simulated roundΒ with my son last weekend and we had a blast.Β Our results were very similar to our real world results ... we're both generally BOGY players in real life and we are when using the Optishot. It seemed very realistic to our real world results.

So is it real golf ... NOPE. NO SIMULATOR is real golf. Can it help your game ... I believe it can, the feedback it gives is useful. Is it fun?Β Very much so.Β (I'd say as much fun as paying to play on a pro simulator) Is it better than putting the clubs away all winter? God yes! Again it's the best $399Β I ever spend for "Winter in New England " golf.

• Upvote 1

Note:Β This thread is 2759 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!