IGNORED

so I got my first lesson today...

Note: This thread is 5579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He had me strengthen my grip, stand closer to the ball, relax my arms and hands, and do the 3 to 9 drill.. now I'm hitting the ball every which way but straight.. any more drills to help these things sink in because it feels very uncomfortable right now.

In My 2007 ogio.gif Edge Bag:
taylormade.gif07 Burner 9.5* S Driver
taylormade.gif08 Burner 3 wood
taylormade.gifRAC OS Irons 4-PW
vokey.gif56* Wedge taylormade.gifrac 60* satin wedgeodyssey.gifWhite Hot Tour #1Started playing January 2009, best round thus far: 82

I think it's a common golf axiom: "if it feels comfortable, you're not doing it right". I think most of us have been through the same thing after a lesson where something gets changed (especially grip). The important thing is: stick with it. It will be second nature before you know it.

patience, grasshopper

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with the others. As soon as I read that you felt "really uncomfortable", I new you'd made the right decision to get a lesson. Just be patient and for now, I'd suggest not worrying about where the balls are going, honestly. Your result for now is knowing that you are being guided down the right path. Get in front of a mirror for 5 minutes a day and watch yourself do the drill. FEEL IT. Trust it. The results will come later.

Good Luck! and keep us informed on your next lesson!

Steve

R7 460 10.5 Degrees
Sasquatch 15 & 17 Degrees
MP60's 3-PW
T-Zoid Comp EZ Wedges 52 & 56
CG10 60 Degrees Tour Action Reg.588 64 Degrees White Hot #4 E6+ Balls

I agree. Stick with it. Don't worry about where they go, just worry about accomplishing what your teacher wants you to accomplish. You need to get proficient at one thing at a time to build a good swing.

Mirrors are very handy!!!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Don't worry about where the ball is going. Just work on the mechanics you were told to do. The grip change is probably the biggest change you can make for golf. Be patient, the results will come.

Agree 100% with everyone above.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

What your teacher is doing if they are worth anything is building a process. You went to see that teacher because you weren't happy with the results. The results are bad because your process was bad.

If your process improves then the results take care of themselves.

If you don't have a good process then you can aim left and play that big slice or aim right and play that big hook but your results will be continually limited by your inferior process.

Certified G.O.L.F. Machine Addict

for the 9 to 3 drill, the focus is normally on speed and your ball contact.

100% Agreed. One thing about the 9 to 3 drill (particularly) is NOT trying to "hit" the ball. When you get over the urge to kill the ball and just concentrate on that motion the ball will start flying in the right direction and much farther than you imagine. Stick with the drills/instruction and hopefully they will stick with you. Good luck

for the 9 to 3 drill, the focus is normally on speed and your ball contact.

so I'm guessing it is better to use real balls then? I was going to practice with some practice balls before my next lesson, but would I be better off going to the range and hitting a bucket?

vokey.gif56* Wedge taylormade.gifrac 60* satin wedgeodyssey.gifWhite Hot Tour #1Started playing January 2009, best round thus far: 82

so I'm guessing it is better to use real balls then? I was going to practice with some practice balls before my next lesson, but would I be better off going to the range and hitting a bucket?

Better yes but practice balls can help until you can get to the range again. Remember smooth swing with good tempo. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

a bit of an update.. my instructor had a major surgery so I havent been able to get a second lesson, so my game is kindof messed up right now.. I played yesterday for the first time since my lesson and while I hit some good shots, it was a pretty terrible round.. I guess I'm just going to have to deal with it until I can get my next lesson.

Swing changes aren't fun. Just make sure that you find a teacher that doesn't suppress the natural skills that you DO have. For everyone who gives you one piece of advice, there is someone who will give you the exact opposite. Golf swings are like snowflakes, no two are exactly alike. Look at the swings of the pros. Some are downright funny-looking, (Furyk and Arnie come to mind). We all strive for the sound swing. But you can't outrun your insticts, and sometimes you might not want to. It is key to find someone who will enhance your good attributes, while working on your more obvious flaws.

In my bag:
r7 9.5, 47"
18* burner rescue 08
x-18, 3-Pw
cg14 camo, 52* 56* 60* DFX 5500, blade, $70 jewel.. ........Jack herer....mountain dew......You know you wanna play here, pony up::http://www.lakeofisles.com/golf/nort...seflyover.html

Swing changes aren't fun. Just make sure that you find a teacher that doesn't suppress the natural skills that you DO have. For everyone who gives you one piece of advice, there is someone who will give you the exact opposite. Golf swings are like snowflakes, no two are exactly alike. Look at the swings of the pros. Some are downright funny-looking, (Furyk and Arnie come to mind). We all strive for the sound swing. But you can't outrun your insticts, and sometimes you might not want to. It is key to find someone who will enhance your good attributes, while working on your more obvious flaws.

There are imperatives.........

They all have perfect or near perfect plane lines. They all have good rhythm. They all have good lag. They all have minimal head movement during their swings. They all have good balance. If you are searching for a GOOD coach who is going to tell you that you don't need those things then you will be looking for awhile. If you are going to get lessons then go there under the right frame of mind. If you are going there to "fix your swing" then you have problems. If you are going there to develop a fundamentally sound swing that will help you play better golf then you are on to something. In short, stop looking for a coach who will tell you that you are doing everything really good. If you are a high handicapper and you aren't uncomfortable after you leave a lesson you probably didn't get a good lesson.

Certified G.O.L.F. Machine Addict

C4M, You have me a little concerned!
I've been following this thread with great anticipation, awaiting some news of your second lesson. But shock horror! Your instructor has had to have major surgery....Now I could see that teaching you may have given him a slight headache, or even a sever migraine.....BUT Major Surgery!
Exactly HOW bad is your game?......Have you considered Tennis?...........lol

So when is he back? Should you maybe find a new instructor? Because the suspense is KILLING ME

Your Pal Steve

R7 460 10.5 Degrees
Sasquatch 15 & 17 Degrees
MP60's 3-PW
T-Zoid Comp EZ Wedges 52 & 56
CG10 60 Degrees Tour Action Reg.588 64 Degrees White Hot #4 E6+ Balls

Note: This thread is 5579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!