IGNORED

What is your biggest pet-peeve in Golf?

rckwd
Note: This thread is 2515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I may be in the minority, but when I get a chance to play, I try to not let things bother me....I don't get the chance to play that often or every time I would like to, so when I do, it is to have fun....not let petty things ruin my day.....what is petty to me may be a big thing to you, but for me, I TRY TO PLAY MY GAME AND HAVE FUN........just my two cents

Probably my biggest peeve is slow play, which can be made even worse by slow fivesomes. Not much else bothers me.  When I started playing golf 7 years ago I'd get mad at myself for bad shots or stupid mistakes. After a while I learned that getting mad or upset worked against me and went a long way toward ruining the next hole.  So golf taught me anger control--and some other lessons along the way.

Nowadays I might grit my teeth a little at a bad shot, but I try to shake it off and tell myself the next hole is a brand new game.

Regarding scoring I tell my partner or whoever I'm playing with that I'll write down whatever number they give me. "You want a 2 on this hole?" Sure!  I'm not playing against you, I'm playing against old man par. So are you. Tell me a number!

My biggest pet peeve is when I go to the range to hit a large bucket of balls to figure what my swing is doing wrong, find out what I'm doing wrong, make a fix, hit the rest of the bucket, and the next day its gone.  I know its just practice practice practice, but to have what I worked on the previous day to make my swing look good and then go away is annoying.

Another thing I find annoying is the different stages of how my swing is going.  The beginning of my practice will start ok-ish, get worse in the middle, then get better in the end.  I don't understand how it happens, but it does.  I'd like to say that I'll find my consistent swing soon, but the way I played today, I'd say I still have a lot of work to do...

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by phillyk

My biggest pet peeve is when I go to the range to hit a large bucket of balls to figure what my swing is doing wrong, find out what I'm doing wrong, make a fix, hit the rest of the bucket, and the next day its gone.  I know its just practice practice practice, but to have what I worked on the previous day to make my swing look good and then go away is annoying.

Another thing I find annoying is the different stages of how my swing is going.  The beginning of my practice will start ok-ish, get worse in the middle, then get better in the end.  I don't understand how it happens, but it does.  I'd like to say that I'll find my consistent swing soon, but the way I played today, I'd say I still have a lot of work to do...

100% agree with this. Sometimes I go to the range and hit every ball flush and perfectly.  Everything feels good and in rhythm.  Then I go to the course or back to the range the next day and I can't hit anything.  Tops, duffs, anything you can think of.  There are just some days I really don't have it.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

Originally Posted by old golf nut

I may be in the minority, but when I get a chance to play, I try to not let things bother me....I don't get the chance to play that often or every time I would like to, so when I do, it is to have fun....not let petty things ruin my day.....what is petty to me may be a big thing to you, but for me, I TRY TO PLAY MY GAME AND HAVE FUN........just my two cents

I don't think these are things that ruin peoples day...its more things that we just don't understand why people do them.  I know that nothing I've mentioned actually "bothers" me or "upsets" me...I will usually laugh at them when they happen.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

The only thing that can ruin my day -- I mean really ruin it -- is when I go to the course after work and find out there are a hundred high school kids playing a tournament and I can't get on until the sun is about to go down.

There isn't much worse than dreaming of golfing all day at work and showing up at a golf complex with three courses on it--at 4-5PM--only to find out there are 6 high schools teeing off in a tourney.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by old golf nut

I don't get mad when my playing partners, or fellow golfers on the course do all these things, I just wonder what they are thinking, and might get a little irritated if it's something bad. These things bother me, but don't ruin my day of golf.

Although one thing DOES make me mad, and it happened yesterday. We were playing, and there was a group of 4 guys in front of us, in two carts, using ONE set of clubs...I hav eno clue how they even got on to the course, but thankfully they left after the 5th hole. Those were the slowest 5 holes I've ever played.

Originally Posted by MacGregor9

I don't get mad when my playing partners, or fellow golfers on the course do all these things, I just wonder what they are thinking, and might get a little irritated if it's something bad. These things bother me, but don't ruin my day of golf.

Although one thing DOES make me mad, and it happened yesterday. We were playing, and there was a group of 4 guys in front of us, in two carts, using ONE set of clubs...I hav eno clue how they even got on to the course, but thankfully they left after the 5th hole. Those were the slowest 5 holes I've ever played.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Guys talking or whispering while you are hitting, cheaters, cocky ba5tards and guys who disrespect the course and the game...I can deal with about anyone as long as they are respectful of the game, the course and the guys they are playing with.

I absolutely can't stand when you get paired up with an unsocial quiet type.  The whole round they just walk with you minding their own business, and they always have a weird smile on their face. Creepy.

One thing that irritates me is when another player offers me golf advice. It goes in one ear and out the other. [quote name="jd4vt1998" url="/t/56752/whats-your-pet-peeve-when-playing-with-others/198#post_703339"]

I absolutely can't stand when you get paired up with an unsocial quiet type.  The whole round they just walk with you minding their own business, and they always have a weird smile on their face. Creepy.

[/quote] You would hate playing with me then, I cannot stand it when I am paired with people and they talk nonstop. I want to focus on my game, not talk, and frankly do not care about chitchat with people I do not know. ;-)

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

Originally Posted by GJBenn85

You would hate playing with me then, I cannot stand it when I am paired with people and they talk nonstop. I want to focus on my game, not talk, and frankly do not care about chitchat with people I do not know.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I'm friendly enough, but I would much rather be paired with somebody who is quiet and focused on their game than somebody who cannot stop talking.  My brother and I got paired with the worst twosome ever today.  Not only did they both take 6 shots to get to every green, but they were fooling around and joking the entire time.  We were already slow because of them, but they would do things like knock the other person's ball off their tee as they took warm-up swings, forcing them to re-tee it.  It was brutal.

Brandon

Well, I'm kind of a dick sometimes in that, I won't talk if you beat me, but as soon as I get in the lead you won't hear the end of it.(too bad this doesn't happen that often )

played on thursday, on the 4th green when a 4 ball decided that they were going to start on the 5th hole! they could clearly see us finishing up on the 4th green but decided to go ahead and tee off anyway. so f'ing annoying! we confronted them at the first chance and funnily enough claimed to not see us on the green and thought nobody was coming up behind..yea really.

Wow, seems like you guys all share a lot of the same peeves!  The one I read that hit home for me was about the player who can't seem to "correctly" count their strokes, and then "brags" about their score!  Whatever you want to put on your scorecard is between you and your Golf God, but don't try to make like you scored better than the rest when you only count about 75% of your shots!

I don't get too peeved but I was paired up with a guy that hit the same bad shot for all eighteen holes. On the 10th hole he hit 7 balls in a row from the same spot into the water, I had to just look the other way I was embarrassed for him. I was like "f" it if I offend him but I had to say what he was doing wrong. Generally I keep my mouth shut or offer to tell what I see if they care. It was a busy day so I was going nowhere fast anyway but to have to wait my turn after each hack until he got to my ball was a little frustrating. I guess if you top the ball 20 yards 60 times in the front nine (he was pretty sure he broke 100), you should call it a day or get the pro and hit the range.

On the final par hole, his father urged him to use a tee on the tee box, he had the gall to say "every time I use a tee I hit a bad shot". I said,"I hate to break it to you....."

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I don't get too peeved but I was paired up with a guy that hit the same bad shot for all eighteen holes. On the 10th hole he hit 7 balls in a row from the same spot into the water, I had to just look the other way I was embarrassed for him. I was like "f" it if I offend him but I had to say what he was doing wrong. Generally I keep my mouth shut or offer to tell what I see if they care. It was a busy day so I was going nowhere fast anyway but to have to wait my turn after each hack until he got to my ball was a little frustrating. I guess if you top the ball 20 yards 60 times in the front nine (he was pretty sure he broke 100), you should call it a day or get the pro and hit the range.

On the final par hole, his father urged him to use a tee on the tee box, he had the gall to say "every time I use a tee I hit a bad shot". I said,"I hate to break it to you....."

I had a similar experience on Saturday.  Totally ruined my round.  What sucks about this type of round is that every once in a while you hit a horrible shot yourself, and you are out of position in the wrong fairway or in the middle of some rough that is a forced-carry and you are slightly embarrassed and want to just hit your ball, but you have to wait because your playing partner is 50 yards behind you in the same line and takes 3 wacks at it before he is actually closer to the hole than you are.

Makes for an excruciatingly slow round.

Brandon

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

That is "the final par 3 hole"

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 2515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!