IGNORED

How far do you hit your clubs?

Note: This thread is 3878 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Lihu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Fair enough.  And I guess if we're talking about hearing a sound ANYWHERE on the range and then thinking, "where did that come from" then yeah, the sound I'm talking about doesn't qualify.  The guy has to be right next to you, basically, but it is still quite impressive.

I used to have a MacGregor V-Foil driver (won in a raffle - didn't care for that much) that made the loudest sound ever when I hit it good.  I was actually embarrassed by it on the range sometimes because of the volume of the ping.

When I hear a good player hit, it's like a poof/whizz with an iron and whoosh/crack with a driver. Then a pow/thud if the ball hits someone

The difference between hitting 20% faster is not the only factor. It seems like if the contact is good and the ball velocity is higher for a given club speed the sound will have a powerful feel behind it.

When an object hits a target or net it will have energy that is a square of the velocity. So, 20% more velocity is approximately 44% more energy. If the smash factor is 1.5 instead of 1.3 that also adds energy. So, there could be up to 80% almost double the energy going into the target. Hard for me to understand why it is so hard to tell that there is roughly twice the energy hitting something.

A net is designed to gently reduce the force from the ball and allow the ball to fall to the carpeted floor. I'll assume you're referring to a screen and not netting.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Yes, in one case there is a screen. In the other setup there is a net in front of a tensioned mesh (like a cage).

If you hit the screen beyond 100mph with a decent SF, the ball ends up outside the stall. The other setup has a net in front of a tensioned mesh. If you exceed a certain speed the ball will push the front net into the tensioned net, and allow the ball to make contact with the tensioned mesh. This will make a sound that is proportional to the amount of energy applied to it.

Also, I did not justify the numbers in my last post very well, so it is total BS as stated in another post.

Here goes:

Club V1= 90mph

Club V2= 105mph

SF1= 1.3 or 1.2 for the average golfer

SF2= 1.5 for a really good golfer

Energy= 1/2*m*v^2

But since we are talking about ratios (assuming they are using balls with the same mass as the typical ball), we do not need to take the mass into consideration.

If we assume the same SF for the folks hitting in the two stalls as a really good hitter, which I doubt as the shafts giving them the best performance were regular flex, then the ratio of energies would only be 36%. So, the impact would only be 36% "louder". This is assuming that they were actually hitting 90mph (seemed like it).

If the smash factor is more like 1.5 for the good hitter, and 1.3 for the person hitting in the stall (which is really generous, as the typical golfer has a SF of 1.2), then the ball speed would be 35% faster and translate to 81% more energy. So, it will appear to be 81% "louder".

In either case, it is pretty noticeable.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

the average exaggeration factor on the internet is 30%, which is about right for club distances on golf forums, and serve speed on tennis forums.

take 30% off and you get the real distances.

the average exaggeration factor on the internet is 30%, which is about right for club distances on golf forums, and serve speed on tennis forums. take 30% off and you get the real distances.

I did not know they have tennis forums with serving speed as big factor in performance. The other thing I am now wondering is if there can be a different metric for off the tee performance that we could ask instead of the thread topic as related to the driver. Could it be something like fairway accuracy merged with distance like: 1 wood; +/-5 degrees 225 yards 80%: min drive 100 yards worst angle 20 degrees? Club; Angle; distance; percentage of hits. Then another metric for the bad hits like: minimum yardage, and worst angle landing position? Seems like I am improving, but not distance wise with my new swing. In fact, I mentioned in another thread that I did not lose distance, but now I am sure I lost about 10%. So, there is no single simple metric I can gauge my performance for off the tee shots, or is there?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by dozu

the average exaggeration factor on the internet is 30%, which is about right for club distances on golf forums, and serve speed on tennis forums.

take 30% off and you get the real distances.

I am sorry we didn't acknowledge your first post. There is a possibility that some of the distances are fabricated or embellished but it does not really affect us. We all know, without your new found revelation, that we take this information with a grain of salt.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I am sorry we didn't acknowledge your first post. There is a possibility that some of the distances are fabricated or embellished but it does not really affect us. We all know, without your new found revelation, that we take this information with a grain of salt.

who is 'we' ?

Quote:

who is 'we' ?

Other forum members that didn't acknowledge the spoon you brought to stir $h1% with.

Thanks to this site and all the swing advice, I can finally post this:

Before (carry):

240 yards Drive (80% OB, or other fairway and high)

220 3 wood

210 5 wood

180 4Hybrid

175 5 iron

160 6 iron

145 7 iron

135 8 iron

125 9 iron

110 PW

90 AW/SW

60 60 degree

After Stack and tilt-like (carry):

220 Drive (nothing outside of +/-40 yards landing accuracy, my duffs went short 30 yards), hit 50 drives, need to fix my pull hook.

210 3 wood (nothing outside +/-10 yards landing accuracy, my duffs went short 10-20 yards), hit 100 3 woods

200 5 wood (15 yard landing zone), hit 100 5 woods

170 4Hybrid (10 to 15 yard landing zone), hit 10 hybrids

~185 3 iron (No markers, but unbelievable that I can actually hit the 3 and 4 irons)

~175 4 iron (No markers)

~165 5 iron (No markers)

~155 6 iron (No markers)

~145 7 iron (No markers)

~135 8 iron (No markers)

125 9 iron Every shot hit the little hill

110 PW (hit a few too high from flipping, so 70 yards on some, not averaged in)

90 AW/SW (hit a few too high from flipping, so 50 yards on some, not averaged in)

60 60 degree (only 3 hits, quit while I was ahead)

I can almost taste the mid handicaps.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Other forum members that didn't acknowledge the spoon you brought to stir $h1% with.

speak for yourself then

A lot of people who either hit the ball a long way, or have played with many people who do, ignore or block posters like you. I have no doubt that a lot of people exaggerate their distances. I also have no doubt that a lot of regular posters struggle to hit the ball 200 yards. Some of you guys are really really bad at golf. It's a fact that I know to be true. The myswing videos do not lie, even if some posters do.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

speak for yourself then

A lot of people who either hit the ball a long way, or have played with many people who do, ignore or block posters like you. I have no doubt that a lot of people exaggerate their distances. I also have no doubt that a lot of regular posters struggle to hit the ball 200 yards. Some of you guys are really really bad at golf. It's a fact that I know to be true. The myswing videos do not lie, even if some posters do.

Thank you Sean

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Well said.

Golf is a gentleman's game and our scores are based on the Honor system. If people lie/exaggerate about the distances they hit their clubs, how are we to believe their scores/handicaps? Why people try to impress anonymous people on the internet is beyond me.

Originally Posted by Pablo68

Well said.

Golf is a gentleman's game and our scores are based on the Honor system. If people lie/exaggerate about the distances they hit their clubs, how are we to believe their scores/handicaps? Why people try to impress anonymous people on the internet is beyond me.

Now I understand why you are so adamant in keeping people who make claims of long distances and holes in ones kept in check.

For me, golf can only be scored when there is double scoring, that is, two unbiased individuals keeping your score. Archery and shooting are more or less the same, except there is a piece of paper (the target) that tells all. The difference, for me, between a practice round and a scoring round is that there are witnesses. The reason for this is simply because, I sometimes forget shots or over count shots per hole. It is easy to get messed up over the twelve minute cycle with all the shot thoughts going through my mind. I am sure other people make similar mistakes.

Not sure how other people view golf, but this is a forum. Generally, people are people.

Golf is not necessarily only a gentleman's game to me. My principle thought is if I do something, I like to do it as correctly as possible. I think almost everyone subscribes to this philosophy.

For example, if a person plays chess, and doesn't know how to move all the pieces under all situations, then you can't say you know how to play. However, there will be plenty of folks who claim to have played chess, and they play chess by the rules they know. One particular case that comes to mind: A person we knew said they played chess so he played with one of my nephews, at one point, they were perplexed by simple things like castling. They don't know how the move is done exactly, and under what conditions it can be done.

Here are the rules (taken from wiki):

Castling is permissible if and only if all of the following conditions hold ( Schiller 2001 :19):

1. The king has not previously moved.
  2. The chosen rook has not previously moved.
  3. There are no pieces between the king and the chosen rook.
  4. The king is not currently in check .
  5. The king does not pass through a square that is under attack by enemy pieces. [ 2 ]
  6. The king does not end up in check (true of any legal move).
  7. The king and the chosen rook are on the same rank . [ 3 ]

Conditions 4 through 6 may be summarized with the more memorable phrase "One cannot castle out of, through, or into check."

However,

It is a common mistake to think that the requirements for castling are even more stringent than the above. To clarify:

• The rook involved in castling may be under attack.
  • In queenside castling, the square next to the rook involved may be under attack. (Kingside castling is not legally possible when the square next to the rook involved is under attack: Because only two squares separate the king and the king's rook, the king would be moved to that square and thereby be placed in check.)

So, they did not understand why my nephew could make the move he did, and simply said he did not know what he was doing. This kid competes in tournaments and wins lots of really big trophies (in physical size as opposed to major tournaments) playing chess. Yet was accused of not knowing what he was doing?

GOLF has many rules of a similar manner to these.

This is why it is really hard to police everyone. Most people have their own concept of what golf really is about. Mostly, they play by the rules they learned.

Since this is a forum, you should enlighten them/us as to the fallacy of the claims or thoughts. I agree that some claims are pretty outrageous, but we covered that in another post.

I feel that it is the responsibility for low handicappers to correct the fallacies in a manner that corrects the problem at the root. Ignorance is bliss, until someone tells the truth. Better to do it in a non-accusative manner, since they are blissfully ignorant.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Originally Posted by SpringBokVol

I am curious to see how far everyone hits their clubs on a normal full swing.

Here is my breakdown:

Driver: 250

3 Wood: 225

19* Hybrid: 200

4: 190

5: 180

6: 170

7: 160

8: 150

9: 140

P: 130

56*: 105

60*: 75

To the OP's question: As far as I can.

Here is my breakdown:

Driver: 230
3 Wood: 200
21* Hybrid: 190
4: 180
5: 170
6: 160
7: 150
8: 140
9: 130
P: 110 to 120

S: 100
56*: 80
60*: 60

Regards,

Big Wave

Golf is the only sport in which a thorough knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship - Patrick Campbell.

You guys need to get out more and play or get away from the local ran down munis. I hit the ball a decent ways nothing great by any means and I play alot with guys maybe a tad shorter or the exact same distance.  Alot of guys in the 0-4 range are about the same distance but, I always seem to find guys that hit their irons 2 clubs longer and drivers insane distances and they are not always the best players either. Played with a guy in my club championship that hit the ball at least twice as high as my driver I thought he was skying it till we get down there and he is 40 yards pass me.  One of my regular playing partners hits his gw 150 and thats my 9 iron.  His driver though is around the same distance go figure...

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Driver: 275 ave
3 Wood: 260 Lately mostly mishits and get about 240
4 wood: 230

Hybrid:210
4: 197
5: 187
6: 177
7: 167
8: 157
9: 147
P: 137 full swing/ 120 gripped down half swing

S: 125 FS/ 110 GDHS
60*: 90 FS/ 80 GDHS

These are my "lies" dozu. If I am having an off day and overswinging, take the 7 off of all the irons and put a 0 there. If I am on and swinging freely you can add another 3-5 yards to each iron. I have to figure out what day I am playing with quick or I am way off the greens.

You guys need to get out more and play or get away from the local ran down munis. I hit the ball a decent ways nothing great by any means and I play alot with guys maybe a tad shorter or the exact same distance.  Alot of guys in the 0-4 range are about the same distance but, I always seem to find guys that hit their irons 2 clubs longer and drivers insane distances and they are not always the best players either. Played with a guy in my club championship that hit the ball at least twice as high as my driver I thought he was skying it till we get down there and he is 40 yards pass me.  One of my regular playing partners hits his gw 150 and thats my 9 iron.  His driver though is around the same distance go figure...

I like playing those munis, because I can play a 9 hole round just before picking up my kids aftere school. Gives me a little less than 2 hours of golf, a little break before going back to work. My distances are much shorter, and my swing speed is less than 100mph now. I would guess a bit more than 95mph. However, this is the most accurate I've ever been. This was the first time I was able to hit this consistently on the course. It felt great hitting close to all GIR. If my aim was a bit better, I would have hit all the greens. Instead I hit the green side bunkers and the approaches. Plus, I got 4 pars on 9 holes, the best ever. I can also hit over 400 balls a day without getting too tired, and my injured shoulder is recovering despite hitting this much. Need to add that I am hitting 200 right handed as well, so only 200 balls per side. Yes, I can swing 105mph without swinging out of my shoes, but I definitely feel more strain on my injured shoulder when doing this. I tried to swing as fast as I could 4 months ago, and drove a ball 280 yards of carry. This is how I injured my shoulder. I am really excited about the improvements, even at the cost of my "manhood". I am never going to try to impress anyone with swing speed again. 4 months of recovery was just not worth it. 220 yards carry is enough for me.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Driver: 275 ave

3 Wood: 260 Lately mostly mishits and get about 240

4 wood: 230

Hybrid:210

4: 197

5: 187

6: 177

7: 167

8: 157

9: 147

P: 137 full swing/ 120 gripped down half swing

S: 125 FS/ 110 GDHS

60*: 90 FS/ 80 GDHS

These are my "lies" dozu. If I am having an off day and overswinging, take the 7 off of all the irons and put a 0 there. If I am on and swinging freely you can add another 3-5 yards to each iron. I have to figure out what day I am playing with quick or I am way off the greens.

No last "60". Did not see it when I pasted it.

Note: This thread is 3878 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!