IGNORED

Why do so many people play a 60* wedge??

Note: This thread is 5329 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am not trying to bash anyone who chooses to play a 60* wedge, but simply a question......one my side of the equation, I play a 56* and a 53* [which I'd rather have more like a 51*, but I digress]. My yardage gap between 53* and PW is about 20 yds, which I'm okay with [I rarely find myself in that gap, anyway]. I hit ALL shots under 100 yds with my 56* and I tend to do fairly well with u/d %. So my questions are these:

I dunno....I suppose I could develop the skills needed to use my 54 for everything, but where is the fun in that? Just kidding. I've had some great initial sucess with the "stock" 54 SW that came with my set. It's a super utility club for all sorts of shots. It does have a lot of bounce, though. There are times when I've short-sided myself and have to carry a bunker to a tight pin...cases where I want to flop-n-drop it. Opening the high bounce 54 makes this more difficult. I have to play it back in my stance further than I want too. I'm shakey taking less than a 3/4 swing, also. I find these shots to be very fickle and I tend to decelerate. I ordered the 64 two weeks ago and it arrived in my bag yesterday. I couldn't resist and hit some balls in my backyard upon getting home. It's gonna be a fun club to work with...I can see that. I'm hoping to get some range time this weekend and playing time next week. I'll post the results. Who knows....it may be a bit of a novelty club....but I think I'm gonna have fun exploring the possibilities of this unusual stick. If nothing else, then at least I have yet another club that will double as a putter training aid.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. That may explain a lot about my game,

Is it bad when you hit the same club twice in a row?

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

60 degrees are so easy too hit high up from the rough and in all kinds of lies. I like my Titleist Vokey 60degree very much.

Driver: SQ Sumo 5000.
3-Wood: SQ II.
Hybrid: Ignite 4&5
Irons: Ignite 6-SW
Wedges: Vokey 60 degrees. Ignite SWPutter: :Odyssey: White Hot XG#1Ball: Prov1, ONE Tour/D, The Hawk.

my play around the greens are almost exclusively restricted to my 60* wedge - i feel as though i have great control over trajectory and consequently distance. with my approach, my full 54* goes about 110 where as my full 60* usually gets about 65-70. Yes I have a distinct need/usage for my 60*

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The biggest factor in play here is the course people normally play. At my home course I'd have to be good with opening my 52º to find the pins and even the green sometimes. I don't put enough spin with mt 52º to check it back that much, so I need a high approach. Bumping it on the ground onto a flat green is no problem with the 52º, but when the FW and almost entire green is falling away from me, I simply need the loft. At other courses I use it less, but find it very valuable (58º btw) when I just need that kind of shot. I do not like to open up the 52º, I'd rather hit it with my hands behind the ball to add loft.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I get all the chicks when I carry my 60

-do you honestly feel the 60* helps you, or is it just cool to have a 60* in the bag?

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

I use mine out of all green side bunkers and for other specialty shots.

However, I would really like to add a 52* and if I had to take the 60* out of the bag to do that it wouldn't bother me very much.

In my bag:
Driver: R5 TP Diamana 83s Shaft
Fairway: Burner 15 degree Fujikura REAX
Hybrid: Custom 19 degree
Irons: DCI 990 S300 4-PW

Wedges: NF 52.04*, Spin Milled 56.10* and 60.08*

Putter: Red X3

Ball: ProV1

Shoe: Tour 360 LTD

I use my 60 quite often within 70 yards.
My swing with the 60 is much more consistent than my "short-stroked" pitching wedge or sand wedge swing.
And it really sticks the landing and stops on a dime!

I removed my 3 wood, which I very seldom used, to make room for it.

If an utter hacker's opinion helps at all, I added the third wedge and dropped the 2 iron to have another option on shorter shots. I can pull out the 60 degree lob wedge and hit a shot full on instead of having to try to swing one of my other, longer wedges a certain amount softer. Being as new as I am, it made sense to me when I read information suggesting that often a third wedge was more useful than another long club (iron, wood, or hybrid).

I can't say that I am any great shakes with any club (being about 90 days into playing golf or so) but that is my .02 on the topic.

Y'all take care!
Jack Lee

In my bag:
Taylormade SLDR 430 10.5 degree driver

Cobra sz hyper steel 3 wood
A7 19 degree hybrid
Taylormade 2008 TP irons 4 through pw

Mizuno JPX 52, 56, 60 degree wedges

White hot XG #9 putter

i play a 60 because i can hit it 90 with a full swing or open the face and flop it 20 on the money. its very versitile.

In my Bag:

Tour Burner 9.5* ProLaunch Red Shaft
Baffler TWS & DWS Hybrids: 2,4
Irons: 09 Burners 4-AWWC Liquid Copper SW 56*WC Liquid Copper LW 60*Putter: Black OZ T130 TP Black

I use my 60 for shots from 130 and in.

You can hit your 60* 130 yards?? I think I would break something trying to do that (unless I blade it, I can do that pretty consistently

) To answer the original question, I carry a 64*, not to get cute or to look cool, but to compensate for my inability to hit my SW with finesse. When I grip down on the SW, I usually come up 20 yard short of the green . I am learning to hit that 64* with a little more accuracy.

Just another weapon in your arsenal. I open and close my 52 56 & 60 to accordingly. You can get by on two evenly spaced wedges, but if you got a hole in your bag, why not? Close up those mini-gaps. Unless you HAVE to have your 2 hybrid and a 3 wood. I'd much rather have more choices around the green than off the tee.

I'm sure you have tried out all kinds of clubs. Give a 60 a chance. They don't bite. Oh wait, they sure do......

In my bag:
r7 9.5, 47"
18* burner rescue 08
x-18, 3-Pw
cg14 camo, 52* 56* 60* DFX 5500, blade, $70 jewel.. ........Jack herer....mountain dew......You know you wanna play here, pony up::http://www.lakeofisles.com/golf/nort...seflyover.html

Today was my first round with the 60 degree wedge, and I shot my lowest round ever, a 44 on 9. I doubt that was just a coincedence, considering I used it on 6 holes, and put the ball where I one putted on the green 4 of the 6 times.

In the carry bag:
'07 Burner 10.5 Driver (S Flex)
Hyper X 5 Wood
J33CB 4-PW Irons (S Flex)
Vokey 54-10 Spin Milled Watson 08 60 Lob Wedge G5i Blade

• 2 months later...
I think people have discovered that the 60 degree wedge is a pretty useful tool around the greens. I use it around the greens and for some shots from the fairway from around 70 yards and in, and it works pretty well from the fairway actually. Am currently using a 60.06 Nike VR but have also had good luck with 60.08's and 60.10's from different manufacturers. Very nice club to use for pitching to pins where there isn't much room to work with, short bunker shots, some downhill chips and so forth. Also a fun club to practice with. I also use a 56 and enjoy that club very much too, but the 60 is a very useful club. One probably needs to try some different 60 degrees out, different bounces and different makes because some 60 degrees tend to fly the ball higher than others.

Driver: Taylor Made  Rocketballz Stage 2
3 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
4 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
Hybrids: Cleveland 20 and 23.5 degree
Irons: Mizuno MP57 5-7, Mizuno MP62 8-9 Wedges: Mizuno MP62 Pitching Wedge, 49 degree,  Titleist Vokey SM4  55.13 (bent from 56.14) Sand Wedge, Titleist Vokey SM4 60.10 Lob wedge

I also use my *60 for anything close around the greens. I just feel like it slides through the rough much easier. I also use it mostly from 50 yds or closer.

10.5* Adams Super Fast 10
17*, 21* Adams Black Super Hybrid
X-24 irons
Jaws 52*,56*,60* Wedges
White Ice #9 Putter

Top Flite Gamer v2

I also use my *60 for anything close around the greens. I just feel like it slides through the rough much easier. I also use it mostly from 50 yds or closer.

i use mine on anything 100 and in takes the guesswork out of rolling it up right id rather it hit and stop.

I use my 60 for most of my pitching and actually a lot of my sand play. I can't find the article anymore but in Golf Digest, they compared a 56 SW with lots of bounce and a 60 LW with little bounce and found out that pitching from fairways is better done with the LW (which I agree with), and your shorter greenside play is better done with a SW with the bounce (also useful in higher rough when the ball is sitting a bit off the ground). I also tend to use the LW when the ground is harder because the bounce of my sw gets me more thinned shots that will skid past the hole instead of stop where I expect it to. Anyways, the 60 is a stock club in my set. I only chose to drop the 5w for a GW to fill in the middle, but I grabbed a 4w so my distances are pretty well covered.

I use my 60 for out of greenside bunkers and deep greenside rough when I have got plenty of green.

I hit the ball very high so my club distances are as follows.

G10 PW = 100-110
52 Gap = 90-100 yards
56 Sand = 60-80 yards
60 Lob = 50-60 yards

Anything under 50 yards I like to use my 52 Gap as I can control this better at half swings etc, anything under 15-20 yards and I chip with my 7 iron, like a bump and run.

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

Note: This thread is 5329 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!