IGNORED

Tom Watson

RC
Note: This thread is 5392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I just gotta know if dear Watson wins... what are they gonna do about his exemption status... next year at St. Andrews would be his final Open even if he were to win...

No, that status only exists for past champions. He'd have a ten-year exemption for winning (and five into the other majors too, I believe) and would thus be eligible for quite awhile.

I almost think that if he wins Sunday - and I'm rooting for him to do just that - he should retire on the spot. Talk about going out on top.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just gotta know if dear Watson wins... what are they gonna do about his exemption status... next year at St. Andrews would be his final Open even if he were to win... would the R and A give him some special kind of exemption... or change the exemption rules?

What twisted logic prompted this bizarre post?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Tom will be exempt into the Open until 2019, because all winners earn 10-year exemptions after their victories. The automatic entry for past champions until age 60 only begins after those exemptions run out (though Johnny Miller can still show up to play until 2012 if he so wishes, because he was 61 when the R&A; moved the age limit from 65 to 60 only last year and he and Tony Jacklin were grandfathered in).

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• Administrator
Tom Watson's courtesy car this week: http://www.forerightbob.com/2009/07/...rtesy-car.html .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Tom Watson's courtesy car this week:

At least that will explain things if he shoots an 88 tomorrow.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Any of those who don't think it's possible, want to re-think that after today?!

yes, i am now re-thinking. i thought he would fall back today but he didnt. now i think he has a really good chance.... man i hope he can pull this off

as long as he putts ok and doesnt start yipping it from 2 feet he should win tomorrow!

After watching the putts he has made the last two days that would be a 180 degree turn!

No, that status only exists for past champions. He'd have a ten-year exemption for winning (and five into the other majors too, I believe) and would thus be eligible for quite awhile.

no way man, you can see it in his face/eyes when he talks about the game, or when he's got that big smile after

every shot whether its good or bad. he loves it too much to just retire.

Spine 10.5*
FYbrid 15*
Pi5 3-PW
Tw9 54* - 60*
Rossa Daytona

It's not that unbelievable because he's still obviously a very very good and accomplished player. The Seniors tour is a tough school with the likes of Greg Norman, Mark O Meara, Ian Woosnam, Jay Haas, Sam Torrance, Wayne Grady and co playing on it.

the last two days ive said he's gonna fall back, im glad he's making me eat my words! a true legend!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

It's not that unbelievable

Leading the biggest tournament in the world (top three anyway) thirty years after winning it on the same course is unbelievable. That's why he's on the front page of just about every website in the world right now.

Also, Tom on whether he's relieved Tiger's not around: "I don't give a damn about Tiger." Tell 'em Tom. Go Toooom!

It's not that unbelievable because he's still obviously a very very good and accomplished player. The Seniors tour is a tough school with the likes of Greg Norman, Mark O Meara, Ian Woosnam, Jay Haas, Sam Torrance, Wayne Grady and co playing on it.

Yes, he as good as said it himself, i.e. without the Senior's tour he wouldn't have stood a chance. In his own mind, and indeed as he has shown the last 3 days, he's still competitive at the top

on the right track of course. Death to the bomb-and-gouge !!! [for one tourney at least] Show'em Tom, you're still the man! ..... (on the links). Do it for all of us old fogies. p.s. those pot bunkers would give me heartburn. I'm hoping for wind wind wind.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I almost think that if he wins Sunday - and I'm rooting for him to do just that - he should retire on the spot. Talk about going out on top.

He's playing in the British Senior next week isn't he?

How about a double? Something that would surely stand for a looooonnnnng time!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Tom Watson's courtesy car this week:

Not quite. Tom is using the James Bond Lotus Esprit from 1977's "The Spy Who Loved Me."

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

If he wins.. sports story of the year!!!

And that is the understatement of the year.

It will be the biggest story in golfing history and one of the greatest in sporting history, although I'm hard-pressed to see what would top it.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 5392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!