IGNORED

New member at the club is a +1....

clubchamp
Note: This thread is 5030 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just saw this made it back to the front page so I thought I would update of anyone who is interested. The guy hung around for a little and his handicap went up to a 3 but he still had quite a few under par rounds in the computer. After a sunday skins game a couple members just finally asked what was his deal and he said he's been struggling with his game lately. After this happened he skipped a few tourney's and no one saw him but he was still a member. Then not too long ago he left and joined another club some of the members looked him up on the ghin website........ down to a 1
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's pretty much his own punishment, isn't he?

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just saw this made it back to the front page so I thought I would update of anyone who is interested. The guy hung around for a little and his handicap went up to a 3 but he still had quite a few under par rounds in the computer. After a sunday skins game a couple members just finally asked what was his deal and he said he's been struggling with his game lately. After this happened he skipped a few tourney's and no one saw him but he was still a member. Then not too long ago he left and joined another club some of the members looked him up on the ghin website........ down to a 1

That's a happy ending - sounds like he got his groove back - down to a 1 index and all that.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'm not sure how common this is since I've only been a member at 2 courses but do a lot of you see people who claim to be really low handicaps yet can't break 85.

I don't belong to a course club, but a twosome I played with once mentioned something similar. They said a guy whose restaurant they frequented kept telling them he was a scratch golfer. He was constantly bragging about his short game and how many hours he worked on his chipping per week.

They got him out on the course and he never broke 80. If I remember correctly, they said they played more than 1 round with him, and he never came close to breaking 80. They looked up his GHIN and it listed him as a +2 (I think...but I know he was a + capper). Go figure... Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

last tuesday I shot a 75 at a local course...

this past sunday, I shot a 96 at a muni...

:(

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I don't belong to a course club, but a twosome I played with once mentioned something similar. They said a guy whose restaurant they frequented kept telling them he was a scratch golfer. He was constantly bragging about his short game and how many hours he worked on his chipping per week.

People say a lot of things - like that twosome for example.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

last tuesday I shot a 75 at a local course...

How'd you do that anyway, btw?

How'd you do that anyway, btw?

it was a thing of humility. Front 9 I shot 7 over which in itself was discouraging but I've recovered on the back nine before so I shook it off. I three putted virtually every hole though which makes for a not so fun round. Don't wanna blame the greens btu they were inconsistent (some holes very slow and moist, others fast) and I was jut overall sucking.

Back 9 comes up, its about 8 PM so its KINDA getting dark but thats also no excuse either. It all started on a 180 yard par 3. Small creek/ravine between the green and tee box. Pin was tucked away in the upper right corner with a bunker to the right and thick brush past the pin. Plenty of space to the left and front of the pin so the smart thing to do would've been to hit a 7 iron and land it slightly short to the left of pin and 2 putt it in... Having shot 7 over on the front nine, I was gonna play the back nine a bit more aggressive and get some damn birdies on the scorecard...so i went for the pin...with a 6 iron. Guess what I did? Hit the damn ball thin and the ball dove straight into the creek. I could've taken a drop but what do I do? Grab another ball. This time what do I do? Push the ball to the right into the rough. Now the ball is position 20-30 yards from the pin with a bunker between in...the shot I had in mind was to flopshot it right over the bunker and land it soft near the pin. Unfortunately, theres a tree overhanging right above so a flopshot would've been dangerous and could potentially hit a branch and land me straight in the bunker. So what do I do? Punch it over the bunker and let it roll just a bit...but what really happens? I blade the ball and the ball goes flying and rolls off the other side of the green. At this point, I'm raging and I've near shit my pants in anger. I then go on to putt for a triple bogey on what should've been a relatively easy par. Now this is where my biggest flaw shows. One bad hole and you can kiss the next few holes good bye. Nice draw turns into a hook. Short iron shots get chunked or bladed...etc. Anyway, I went on triple bogey several holes and a couple doubles as well. AND THAT MY FRIENDS, IS HOW YOUR GAME CRUMBLES. afterwards, my friend and I went and ate some late dinner and had a great laugh looking at my score card. He didn't play so hot either so maybe it just wasn't meant to happen that day. needless to say, I headed straight for the putting green the day after and spent some time on the green then hit some balls at the range. I already called in for another tee time on saturday morning at the same course cuz I can't go out like a sucker like that.
I must say I find some of these anecdotes about low handicaps getting very high scores hard to believe.

I also find it hard to believe some pro's shoot high 80's during a tournament.

hey it happens. i'm not perfect.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I shot 103 on friday, 99 on saturday ,and 86 on sunday. all on similar slope rating courses.

However, I do think at a 20 handicap, it's more likely to have score variations like this.
When you're a scratch or a '+' hdcp, unless you're playing Tour conditioned courses, you shouldn't blow up over 90?

I shot 103 on friday, 99 on saturday ,and 86 on sunday. all on similar slope rating courses.

Agreed. My last 4 rounds were: 87, 89, 104, 54 (on 9). Go figure.

Agreed. My last 4 rounds were: 87, 89, 104, 54 (on 9). Go figure.

The kind of variance you have got there is probably towards the bottom and top end of your scoring potential. Interesting but not out of line.

The kind of variance you have got there is probably towards the bottom and top end of your scoring potential. Interesting but not out of line.

Those two scores are pretty much exactly the bottom and the top. But I guess it sort of proves the point that one would expect more of a variance from a high handicapper than a low handicapper.

if theres hazards and all sorts of stuff over the course you can just be fighting your swing as a low handicap and shoot in the mid to high 80's. My strength is my shortgame and my weakness are my teeshots occasionally. When im hitting the ball on line I can shoot under par at quite a few places, however when im hitting the ball left to left or right to right if its a course with a lot of hazards im in trouble.

What kind of place were you playing at? THe country club here in Lansing is rated a 73.0 from the tips but unless they really trick up the pins its much simpler than some courses with a lower rating here because basically theres no penalty strokes and if you have a good shortgame you can get up a down quite often

To the OP:

I have actually read your post. What the majority of posters here don't seem to understand is that the "+1" player is a liar and a cheat. He posted a score of 68, when you say he was perhaps 20 shots over this.
Most respondents seem to be defending this idiot, as if the point of the post is that it's possible for a +1 to shoot 90. Maybe it is, but you post a score of 90, not 68. The thread isn't about the possibility of a low handicapper shooting a high score, it's about a dishonest person.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

To the OP:

Maybe most posters accepted that fact as being so clearly obvious they moved onto something else.

Im not a +1, but ive had days where ive shot 85+. It happens. The handicapping system pretty much ignores those scores if they are uncommon, so there is a small chance he could have been telling the truth. But posting a 68 when it wasn't earned denotes a serious lack of character, if not anything else.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Note: This thread is 5030 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!