IGNORED

Male Scratch Golfer on the LPGA Tour

iacas
Note: This thread is 822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What amazes me about the LPGA ladies is just how far many of them drive the ball. Ko, Park, Lewis, and Choi foe example are all about 5'5" tall and all average right around 250 yards off the tee. Pound for pound for they really get the most out of physical statures. I'd be curious to know how far the average male scratch golfer drives his ball. I understand, individually, this number would vary widely but still I'm curious as to what an average number might be.

Ross (aka cubdog)

What amazes me about the LPGA ladies is just how far many of them drive the ball. Ko, Park, Lewis, and Choi foe example are all about 5'5" tall and all average right around 250 yards off the tee. Pound for pound for they really get the most out of physical statures. I'd be curious to know how far the average male scratch golfer drives his ball. I understand, individually, this number would vary widely but still I'm curious as to what an average number might be.

I think you would be surprised how far they hit it. The best guy I've played with wasn't ever scratch (probably played off a 2 or lower for a whole year though)and he averages 270-280. AVERAGES I've seen him hit numerous 290+ yard drives. He told me there's a kid at his club that is around a +1 and he's consistently 15-20 yards ahead of him when they play together. The better players usually hit it pretty far.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

IMO, the more amazing part is how accurate they are with long irons & hybrids.   They will put the ball on green from 170 yards out like a clock work.  Once, they paired Wie (6' plus tall, long hitter - 270/80 drive average) with Jiaye Shin (5'2" who does not hit long).   Guess who ended up with a better score at the end of the round?   Shin was "money" on her approach shots, often with hybrid, then followed that with solid short game.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Well, actually I know an 8 HC male golfer about 5'4" (height and width***) who drives the ball 270 on average with his Ping G30. Turbulators!. . .

***I sure hope he doesn't read this forum. . . :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Believe me I'm not discounting their short games. I'm a fan of the LPGA and I'm perfectly aware of their short game prowess.

Also, I know a lot of guys that bomb it off the tee. Long drives don't always translate into low scores.

Interesting discussion. I agree with the general consensus for the most part. My only disagreement is with anyone who underestimates just how good these ladies are. Thankfully there seem to be only a few that don't give them their proper due.

Ross (aka cubdog)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moxie Dawn

Speaking of which, I'm hitting it about 150 yards on my best strikes as a total novice. How's that sound?

With a driver?  That's pretty bad even for a woman imo.

Apparently you have reading comprehension issues ?    She said she's a "total novice" .     It's posts like this that discourage women from participating in male dominated discussion boards...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

In regards to lucy Li ( 11 yr old qualifier for US Open):

Among the pros whom Li beat here were Mika Miyazato, who has three top-10 U.S. Open finishes and won $1.3 million in 2012; Kristy McPherson, who won more than $800,000 in 2009; and Marta Silva, the NCAA national player of the year in 2011.

This just makes me wonder what a scratch male golfer could do. I mean criminey, an 11 year old girl?

What about all the PGA pros who lost to 14 year old boys at the Masters and US Open? I think the take away should be that she has game not that some male scratch golfer is going to dominate.

You can look up most of the LPGA courses. The woman tend to play ~6300-6600 yard courses with a 71-73 CR and slopes in the 130-140 range. The players that make the cut generally shot about  par (i.e. odds of a scratch golfer putting 2 rounds together like that are very low). The male scratch golfer isn't going to be humiliated out on the LPGA tour but he isn't going to be winning or even making many cuts.

Apparently you have reading comprehension issues ?    She said she's a "total novice" .     It's posts like this that discourage women from participating in male dominated discussion boards...

Give me a break, Dr Phil.  Women are perfectly capable of being told the truth without running off to cry.  Besides, I've seen a couple other posts of hers and she doesn't appear to be someone who is intimidated by a bunch of nerds on a golf forum anyway. B-)

Give me a break, Dr Phil.  Women are perfectly capable of being told the truth without running off to cry.  Besides, I've seen a couple other posts of hers and she doesn't appear to be someone who is intimidated by a bunch of nerds on a golf forum anyway.  B-)

Regardless of how thick you think her skin is - you're still way off base. 150 yard drives from a novice woman are pretty damn good. If you can get it in the air, reasonably straight, and 150 yards down the fairway from red tees, this game can be very enjoyable. Now, back to you topic ...

Regardless of how thick you think her skin is - you're still way off base. 150 yard drives from a novice woman are pretty damn good.

If you can get it in the air, reasonably straight, and 150 yards down the fairway from red tees, this game can be very enjoyable.

Now, back to you topic ...

Regardless of how thick you think her skin is - you're still way off base. 150 yard drives from a novice woman are pretty damn good.

If you can get it in the air, reasonably straight, and 150 yards down the fairway from red tees, this game can be very enjoyable.

Now, back to you topic ...

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

She said these were her best hits, which mean most of her hits are what... 120 or maybe 130?  And she didn't say if they were sliced into the next fairway or not either.  Sorry, that's still bad imo.  It's actually not even really worth it to ask how you're doing as a novice because anything good you do is probably luck anyway.  I'd be curious to see how she hits it after a lesson or two.

a male scratch golfer doesn't play par often, and event less under par.

he is a scratch golfer because of the handicapping system.

girls on the LPGA play negative scores.

so they will kick his arse.

look at evian in my country. I dont beleive a scratch golfer can play near par on that course.

look at evian in my country. I dont beleive a scratch golfer can play near par on that course.

I would think that a scratch golfer would need to shoot under the course rating at least 1/4 of the time to offset the scores above the course rating in the lower half of all his scores? Otherwise the math doesn't add up. So, a CR and par of 72 would mean that the scratch golfer will shoot under 72 1/4 of the time?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

A true scratch player plays par golf often and sub-par golf quite regularly.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Here's our definition of a scratch golfer.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/27302/male-scratch-golfer-on-the-lpga-tour/378#post_1112802

http://thesandtrap.com/t/27302/male-scratch-golfer-on-the-lpga-tour/396#post_1112810

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Most courses from 6100 to 6600 yards have CRs from 68 to 71 or 72 or so for men. Course handicaps for men and women are about 5-6 apart. Since a guy who is a +5.5 can play the PGA Tour it is reasonable to say a scratch golfer can play the LPGA Tour.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Note: This thread is 822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!