IGNORED

518 YD Par 4 - your GIR%

opie
Note: This thread is 5389 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Your GIR%??

• 0% - I coudln't get there downwind and downhill
    • 1-10% - Maybe on a lucky day
    • 11-30% - when I hit the fairway with the big stick
    • 31-50% - As long as David Feherty isn't following me
    • 51-75% - Shoot yeah, I love to bomb it
    • >75% - Watch out PGA Tour here I come

I said 11-30 because I read the poll as, if I hit a hundred drives in the fairway, chances are good that 15 times I'm going to hit a good second shot and land on the green. I also read the poll as 100 times in row, not over a lifetime, thus providing the opportunity to quickly learn the hole and make adjustments until you're hitting it right.

I meant it as you're standing on the tee box 100x. Requiring a Tee ball and a 2nd shot

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have a chance, assuming firm conditions, but just barely, maybe one or 2%. If I get all of a driver I can carry it 230. My maximum carry for a 3 wood is is 215. But it is likely based on the fact that hitting 2 dead solid shots in a row with 1 and 3 woods at my handicap level happens maybe 6 times a year or less. It is unlikely I would even try, lay up take double out of play and try to make par would be my real play.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I would have a chance, assuming firm conditions, but just barely, maybe one or 2%. If I get all of a driver I can carry it 230. My maximum carry for a 3 wood is is 215. But it is likely based on the fact that hitting 2 dead solid shots in a row with 1 and 3 woods at my handicap level happens maybe 6 times a year or less. It is unlikely I would even try,

My 'normal' 240 yard drive and 'normal' 205 yard 3-wood

IS a layup (83 yards left) on this monster hole. Ridiculous hole, 518 par 4, really? YIKES!
I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

There needs to be a poll result for >0 but <1 %. I can poke it out there, straight, 290, once in 15-20 tee shots. So, then that would leave 223 yards. I can put it on the green from 223 with my 3 hybrid once every 20 attempts. So that would put me GIR once every 400 tries, or 0.25%, which actually seems about right.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I'm watching and they're getting some good roll out on the fairways, similar to how ours are playing here at my home course.

I've been hitting the driver really well lately. Long and straight.

*IF* I assume I can hit the fairway between 280-320 which is not out of the realm of possibility, then I've got anywhere from a 5 wood to a 4 iron into the green, which I think I could hit about 10-15 times.

This is assuming I only hit the fairway 50 times.
Driver: 10.5 Adams Speedline 9032LS with VooDoo XNV6 X-stiff
Fairway Woods: G15 4wood with Serrano 75 X-stiff
Irons: Ping i15 3-PW w/ AWT Shafts
Wedges: Spin Milled Oil Can Vokey 50deg/54deg/58deg
Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza SpiderBall: Taylormade PentaBest Score 2010 Season: 75Home...

I meant it as you're standing on the tee box 100x. Requiring a Tee ball and a 2nd shot

Right, but in my mind that still leaves two options:

1. Hit your drive, then hit your second shot. Repeat 99 times in a row. 2. Arrive at hole during regular round of play. Play 99 times more during random rounds in your lifetime. For my response to the poll I used option 1.

Right, but in my mind that still leaves two options:

I hadn't considered these options. Either way, I'll change my GIR% to < 10%.

If I had to play the same 500+ yard par 4, one hundred times in succesion: - I'd probably lose some amount of focus after a dozen attempts. - back spasms and muscle cramps after 50 attempts. - after 70-80 attempts, I'd be begging for death. If I have to rely on playing the whole round 100 times: - this simply isn't going to happen in my lifetime - I don't play 100 rounds in 10 years, let alone playing the same course ever time. - Just kill me now and get it over with.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'm calling BS on nearly all the people who voted 11-30% unless you all legitimately mean 15% or less.

thank you for saying this...i sometimes think golfers tend to boost their own ego and think they are better than they truly are when on an online forum.

I voted 1-10%...but thats because i know i can hit 2 shots 518 yards. That being said, i would really need to crush both of my shots.

With a great drive that hits the fairway and rolls to 280-300 yards you're still putting a hybrid or fairway wood in my hand. That's my weakness.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

I voted 11-30. I know I could make it more than 10 times out of a hundred. That's the same thing as getting on a 520 yd par 5 in 2 - which I do somewhere in 11-33% range. If I had

You cant just imply just because you have a good percentage of Par 5s that are in the same range as this Par 4, you reach in 2, that you can do this on this hole too.

As i understood, this hole plays slightly uphill and into the wind frequently, and its left to right - THIS makes a huge difference to a hole that might play slightly downhill and right to left or straight - despite being the same length. We have a Par 5 thats about the same length and is uphill left to right - i have hit every Par 5 into 2 on our course despite this one, since i simply cant cut it 240 into the green with a 3wood. So that probably seals my fate with this hole....

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

The longest par 4 on my home course is 450 yards from the tips, or 440 from the middle tees where I usually play. Today I hit the green in 2 for the about one in 10 times that I succeed there. That hole is still 75 yards short of the one that the thread is about. Nuff said....

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You cant just imply just because you have a good percentage of Par 5s that are in the same range as this Par 4, you reach in 2, that you can do this on this hole too.

You can't imply we talking specifically about the 12th at Hazeltine. I think the OP meant any 500+ yard par 4. If not, option one is worded incorrectly.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I thought it was a par five until I saw people saying "I can't reach it in two".

518 yards par 4 is mad, but not impossible. With a good drive I can reach it in two with a 5 or 3 wood, but how many percent I'd hit is impossible to tell, most likely below one out of ten times.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5389 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!