IGNORED

How Hard Is a 2 Iron to Hit?

Note: This thread is 854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

how hard is a 2 iron to hit?

It depends on how good you are. It really isn't that much harder than any other club. What makes it hard is the length of the shaft and the smaller head. Regardless of the club, any 2 iron will have a very small sweet spot. If you don't hit it dead center then you lose distance and accuracy. Since it is hard to hit it flush, most have given up on them.

I played one until just a few months ago. It was an old Ping ISI and was a great club for me for many years. I could kill it off the tee box. Every once in a while I would catch it flush from the fairway, but usually not every time. I finally broke down and got a 19º hybrid to cover the 2 and 3 irons. It is much easier to hit from anywhere. That was the problem with the iron. A great lie in the fairway and it was pretty easy. When you get in the rough or have an awkward stance, it was pretty hard to hit good.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Its just another Iron know your limits and your fine if you only hit it 220 dont try to hit it 240 thats when people run into trouble. I do honestly think a hybrid is the best option but there are many courses that I take the 2 iron to and the hybrid will stay home.

Whats in the old Ping bag:

Driver-Cleavland Comp w/ Fujikara shaft
3 wood-Callaway FT tour w/ Fujikara shaft
Hybrid-Taylor Made 19 degree rescueIrons-Bridgestone J33 combo 3-PWWedges-Taylor Made Rac TP 56/Ping Eye 2 SW and Titleiset Vokey 50Putter-Whatever is workingBall-Srixon z-star golfball

Its just another Iron know your limits and your fine if you only hit it 220 dont try to hit it 240 thats when people run into trouble. I do honestly think a hybrid is the best option but there are many courses that I take the 2 iron to and the hybrid will stay home.

It's not an easy club to hit. When I decided to learn to hit my 2 and 3 irons straight (ish) to lower my handicap, there weren't any hybrids (early 90s - just bafflers and other garbage like that). It took about a year to get really comfortable with them. Lostwise, they're like modern 3 and 4 irons. I'd say if you can hit a new 3-iron, you can actually hit a 2 iron.

Anyway, they're great off the tee, but into a par 3, they run too far. For par 3s I'd hit my Fybrid (and hope I don't snap hook it).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

i dont even have a 5 iron, have hybrids for my 3, 4, and 5 and much prefer them over regular irons, hit them longer and straighter and higher too which is better for approach shots getting the ball to stay on the green. I couldnt imagine hitting a 2 iron, ive hit a 3 iron off a tee before and did ok on a short par 4, but hybrids are so much easier to hit.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

The 2i presents no problems for me and I much prefer it over a 5w. It is a club I grew up hitting and I am comfortable swinging it. It feels good, performs well, and I trust it. That's what counts.

In a navy blue Vintage L8 stand bag
Big Bertha 454
Muirfield 20th 2 iron
Vip Tour CB-92 3-PW
by Macgregor Greg Norman Forged FW Special 55 BeCuTad Moore TM-2 Milled putter AD333/Trispeed

Not sure why, but I haven't it found it too terribly difficult to hit. I do like to work with it on the range a lot, cause it will tell you when your swing is faulty much more so than a 7 iron will. Helps me work on hitting the center of the club face. A nice smooth, confident swing will get the job done. Don't have to swing harder to make it go farther, just unwind like normal. I like it for driving on super tight holes because on mishits I usually just lose distance, but direction stays pretty true.

Driver: 975D 10.5* UST ProForce 75 Gold S
3W: 906F2 15* S300 shaft
Irons: i-302 3-PW
Putter: Dual Force 990

Hard enough but not as hard as many would have you believe. I love mine....probably should use it more than I do as it's long and finds the fairway almost every time.

Have to admit I learnt the game before hybrids and long irons are what I'm used to. Anyone with a decent swing should be able to hit long irons fine. I'm also big on traditional looks....can't get on with the appearance of hybrids at address.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've only hit a 5 iron, that's my biggest iron. I can hit it just as well as my pitching wedge. After the 5 iron does it drop of in ease? or if you have a good swing are they not that hard to hit. In my next set I want a 2 iron, but are they very hard to hit? Thanks

I have a old set of 78 Wilson Staff Tour Blades 1-pw I game about a third of the time. I really like the 2i and it is like any long iron IMO; it needs a smooth full easy swing. When I do that its good for ~215 off of a tee and ~210 off the deck if I hit it good. I like the 2i so much that I'm look'n for a Mizuno MP 60 2i to put with my A set of irons which are MacGregor 1025 mb V-foils.

IMO when hitting long irons concentate on tempo and rhythm. You've got to practice and it took me awhile before I was consistant with it, but there is no better feeling than a pured long iron. Long irons are as difficult or as easy as you make them. If you can hit a 3i you should be able to hit a 2i. If nothing else it could make a good practice club b/c you have got to have a decent golf swing, as with any long iron, to make it work

when i was using Ping Eye2s i had a 1 and 2 iron in that set... 1 iron was awesome off the tee. but its all preference and depends on the course being played. a hybrid is a bit harder to keep under a low hanging tree branch than a 3 iron but the hybrid is much easier to get lofted, especially with slower swing speeds. And there might be a situation on a certain course that is better suited for one or the other, there is no one ansswer or solution.

Putter first 
:titleist: newport 2 oil can
:titleist: 58* SM4
:titleist: 54* SM4
:titleist: 50* SM4
:titleist: 4-pw AP2 project X 6.0
:ping: i20 9.5 TFC Stiff

I've only hit a 5 iron, that's my biggest iron. I can hit it just as well as my pitching wedge. After the 5 iron does it drop of in ease? or if you have a good swing are they not that hard to hit. In my next set I want a 2 iron, but are they very hard to hit? Thanks

You may very well be in the elite crowd that can game one to it's potential. Don't be scared. Other people may have had bad experiences, but it's an individual game. You can hit 5iron as well as PW...I'd say you should at least give it a try...who knows?

I've had two simular clubs over the years. I used them for tee shots on tight par 4s and really long par 3s. This was when I used to live in an area where the wind was a larger factor....consistenly blowing and I played on coastal courses. I never could hit the things off the deck very well.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Easier to hit than a one-iron, somewhat harder than a three-iron.

The real question is why do you want one? What do you want it to do, and why will it better suit you than a much easier to hit hybrid?

I played a two-iron for many years and finally replaced it with a hybrid. At least 95% of the time, the hybrid is the better choice.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

A 2 iron isnt really that much harder to hit than any other long iron. What is hard to do is to get a 2 iron up into the air.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

What is hard to do is to get a 2 iron up into the air.

Not really. With a running start and a holding it by the very end of the grip, I find that I can get a 2-iron pretty high up there, the trick is keeping out of the way when it comes back down.......!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Not really. With a running start and a holding it by the very end of the grip, I find that I can get a 2-iron pretty high up there, the trick is keeping out of the way when it comes back down.......!

Ah...the ole 2i flop shot eh? A missing component from any players bag.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

My first set was and hand me down Dunlop DDH set 1-PW from my dad. The 1 and 2 were just about impossible to hit off the deck but off the tee they could be pretty good. I was probably about a 25-28 handicap when I got my Adams set but even back then I could hit the 1 and 2 pretty well teed down at ground level (I am reasonably athletic so even back then probably had a ~90 ss). Off the deck the 1-iron was impossible and 2-iron very difficult. Both were nice for escaping trees, however. I have considered returning the 1-iron to the bag just for tree escapes to keep the ball low since it can be hard to hit my 3-hybrid hard while keeping it under branches.

Also, keep in mind that in a lot of modern sets the 3-iron has the same loft as a traditional 2-iron, so the modern 2-iron may be considered a 1/1.5 iron.

Driver: Callaway X460 Tour
3 Wood: Callaway X
Hybrid: Adams A3
Irons: X20 Tour 4-PW
Wedges: X-Forged 50, 54 & 58

i have 2-pw in my irons and no fairways or hybrids...for me, the look of the blade iron gives me more confidence than a hybrid....so i like my 2 iron...

plus i use it when i need to hit a low punch...works great.
Driver r9 460 TP 8.5
Irons Apex Edge 2-PW
Wedges RAC TP Z Smoke 52, 56
Putter White Hot Blade #7
Ball Prov1x

I don't have a 2 iron but I have a 1 iron. I usually hit it off the tee, seldom off the fairway. When I was getting fitted for my clubs, I hit the 1 better than the 2 so i went with it. I actually use it quite a bit off the tee and I feel more confident then with my 3 wood. I never had a hybrid so i can't compare. I dont really use my fairway woods, so the 1 does just fine.

Note: This thread is 854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!