IGNORED

does golf get more frustrating as you get better?

clearwaterms
Note: This thread is 5367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have gone from a 25 handicap to an 18~19 (don't have an official cap, but guessing on both). The thing that I have noticed is that the better I get, the more frustrated I am when I have a bad shot / hole / round.

When you are able to let go of that frustration is when you will get beyond better play and move toward greater play.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

If you can learn from your mistakes its not frustrating, however if you are not sure what you are doing, it can be frustrating.

I will give you an example......... I played a hole yesterday where I had several option and I decided to go for the hole with a difficult lie and I ended up paying the price, what I learned was that to play the smart shot and eliminate the big number, in other words, know when to be aggressive and when to be conservative.

If it is a swing problem you simple need to practice to work it out.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

If it was easy then everyone could do it. The challenge is what keeps it interesting and keeps you coming back. Otherwise: BORING

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I'd say for most people it is frustrating at the very beginning. You then improve quickly, which is exciting. If you then plateu for 2-3 years, it can be very frustrating, especially if you get slightly worse.

At the highest level of competitive golf, I can imagine that the game is mentally taxing. Hogan said that he only hit two "perfect" shots per round. He was constantly striving for perfection. This could, at times, be very frustrating. Of course, the top golfers probably live for this sort of mental challenge. Though, some have been broken by it (Ian Baker Finch)

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Give your reaction a little more thought. Rather than getting frustrated during a round that is getting away from you, consider it a time to play more relaxed rather than more tense. There are shots you can hit with a little less pressure because another stroke or two is not the end of the world and now is the time do it under gamer conditions. In other words, view a bad shot as an opportunity to hit a good shot to recover, or an escalating score as a chance to play differently to change your momentum. Otherwise, you can start a spiral into even greater disappointment -- and why would you do that?

As a player gets more skilled, one of the attributes he or she should develop is the ability to change, adapt, and correct bad swings.

RC

i've found that it has and it hasn't... it's all on who I'm playing with.
I get frustrated the most when ALL parts of my game aren't working...
usually 1 day i'll be horrid off of the tee...but my recovery and iron/short game is on point... days where I can't buy a par....those are the most frustrating..
but when I 1st started...I started for fun...to play with my pops..etc..
I still have fun...but usually I have more fun when I'm playing better...unless I'm playing with friends then I CARE how I shoot, but it's not the end of the world.... like this week I'm out in North Dakota visiting my best friend....
It was a 210 yard par 3... WAS supposed to play a little draw in with a 4 iron... I setup to draw...I envisioned it....and the ball just hung up and was pin high in the WET bunker....if I were at home...i probably would've gotten upset with myself for not choosing a more conservative shot....but I was with my best friend....I was like oh well..up and down from there...and boom... up and down from there!
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

One thing I noticed as I got better was how frustrating the game can be. The main reason for me was that I got to the point where I could make some pars and sprinkle in a birdie here and there. The problem comes in that you can see what happens when you are at your best. Then you expect to be at that level all the time.

Very well said. Yes, as you get better, the game becomes more frustrating because you know how good you can be and want to keep shootin a lower score than before, but certain days things just don't cooperate with you. I have stated it many times, I don't play golf because it's fun, I play it because I love the game. I don't drink and relax while on the course, I'm there to compete, wheter it be in tourneys or just trying to beat my best score. I know that sounds weird and may be confusing to some, but if I'm not shooting a low number, I am not having fun. But I still love the game and will be found on the range or putting green after a poor round working on my weaknesses. Don't be afraid of getting better, it is a much more enjoyable game as you get better.

Driver: TaylorMade r7 460 / 11.5 degrees
Irons: Titleist 822 OS (4, 5, 6)  Titleist 962 (7, 8, 9, P, G)
Putter: Tear Drop
Ball: Precept Laddie
Wedges: Golfsmith Snake Eyes 56 degrees / 60 degrees

18 Hole Low:  67   /  9 Hole Low:  31

Well I wouldn't call myself good but as I'm improving I seem to get frustrated easier. But I have learned the frustration on one hole only leads to a frustrated 18 holes. Be frustrated with the shot and then when you get in the cart or pick up your bag or whatever you do to go to your next shot make that where you forget about the last shot. Forget about the last hole or the other day. The only thing that matters is what your doing on your next shot.

Pro Titanium 905R w/ UST Proforce V2 7 stiff.
975F Fairway Woods 3/5
Divine Nine wood
DCI 990 Irons 3-PW
Not sure what name of SW mallet putter Pro V1x Ball Bag

Playing off +19 is a bonanza of opportunities to get better, frustration should not really come into it.

It can take 6 months to go from a 25->19 handicap, but 18 months to go from 5->2.

So some perspective is needed. Going from 25>19 you deserve some credit, now you must enjoy the game.

I have gone from a 25 handicap to an 18~19 (don't have an official cap, but guessing on both). The thing that I have noticed is that the better I get, the more frustrated I am when I have a bad shot / hole / round.

LOL, wait until you are in mid hc hell. It gets worse

A game we love to hate, but if it wasn't for the frustration it just wouldn't be fun, well at least for me.

The added frustration is most likely coming from the added pressure we put on ourselves as we feel like our ability is getting better. It will always be a struggle. Getting a hold of the mental aspects of this great game will most certainly help with your physical game and help you score better and more consistently.

:cobra: Amp Driver 10.5*(R)
:tmade: Burner 3W 15*(R)
:tmade: Burner 2.0 Rescue 3-4
:titleist: 714 AP1 Irons 5-pw, gw(Steel XP95 R300)
:callaway: MD3 Wedges 56, 60
:nickent:Omen Long Putter(un-anchored)

In a word, yes!

Makes it worth it though when you have that great round or hit that flush 3-iron.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now