IGNORED

Cell phones....

captpat
Note: This thread is 5353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I take my phone with me. I leave the ringer on because you can barely hear it in the bag anyway. If it's important, they'll call me a few times.

If I'm walking (i.e. with my bag) and hear it ringing, I'll answer, say I'm busy or get the message from my wife, and put it back. How often does that happen? Once every six or seven rounds, maybe.

I think some people can get overly self-righteous about cell phones. The common sense rule in my group is that you don't break golf etiquette. My ringer can't be heard unless you're carrying my bag. We don't talk when anyone's playing and if we are on the phone, it's for as short a time as possible while we're walking down the fairway. No golf etiquette broken.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Personally can't stand them. Can see the argument "for emergencies"/imminent births.....just. If it's work related...go to work and stop playing golf.

If you have to have it with you, stick it on silent and check your missed calls every so often. Very few of us are that important.

The World still spun on its axis before the advent of mobiles, people still managed to do business and have golf as a hobby, etc etc.

Part of the game for me is being away from everything with some like-minded mates hitting a silly white ball into a small hole.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Ya remember back in the dark ages when we didn't have mobile phones, somehow we all got along with life.

Again, the golf course is a retreat from work, wife, obligations, etc. Let us all enjoy it in peace, and no phones ringing or texting.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Pesonally, my cell phone is in my bag and the ringer is turned off, I will check it when I get done playing. But, if the only way you can play is by having your cell phone so be it, just be considerate of other people on the course.

I did see a 60+ year old guy play a round with a blue tooth headset on, kind of made me laugh.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I did see a 60+ year old guy play a round with a blue tooth headset on, kind of made me laugh.

that is just dumb!

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

It depends.

golf for work allot, i have no problem with someoneI taking out for a round dealing with an issue atthe office while we golf. Social calls - no way.

For my social rounds 1 call is too many
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

I think I'm the last living north american who does not have a cell phone.
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

I think I'm the last living north american who does not have a cell phone.

yep, that may be true. On the other side of the coin, I haven't had a land line in almost ten years.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

And now there are golf course GPS features on cell phones....

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Driver: Pinemeadow ZR-1 460cc 10.5 degree; senior flex graphite shaft;
6-PW: ProStaff Oversize; graphite (about 13 years old);
Adams Tight Lies fairway woods.

Cleveland CG14 56° sand wedge

Zebra 395gm Mallet putter

How is his texting in the cart distracting? Is he texting and driving?

More annoying than distracting, but when you are getting ready to hit a shot and you can see him playing with his phone, it can get distracting after a while. It also takes him longer to play than others, even though he is close to scratch, because he's always reading or typing a message. Ridiculous.

For me it depends on the group and situation. Regardless, it's always on silent.

Also, I play on Friday mornings with my buddies, all of whom are working folk that need to answer calls from time to time. So we are all on the same page. If I'm playing with my dad and his friends (retired), I leave it off.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I used to believe it was best not to have a phone with you...until the day my wife received a call that our oldest son was being rushed to the hospital. She had to leave, and I finished the round (this was on hole 3-kids don't time things like this very well). Since then I leave the phone in the bag on low or vibrate unless I know my wife will be tough to reach by phone, then, I will leave the phone on vibrate in the cart.

I carry myself in a manner that my attention is with those that are with me at the time, whether it be on the phone, online, or in person. When possible, outside distractions such as phone, text, etc. are secondary. I believe that many people 30+ in age carry themselves in this manner. In our culture, this is changing. I don't like it, but it's reality that those that are interrupting receive the priority. I don't think I will be making that change.

In the bag:
Driver: Rapture V2, 9 degree, stiff shaft
Fairway Woods: X-Hot 3 wood
Hybrid: 3H
Irons: J36 PC 4-PW Project X 6.0 Shafts, FlightedWedges: CG14, 50 54 and 58 degree Putter: Guerin Rife 2 Bar with Winn grip B330S Pro V1x

If you`ve got a potential "emergency", I can tolerate them. But,if you can`t get away from work for 4 hours,maybe you should be at work,training someone to run it for 4 hours a couple days a week. We used to get stuck with a guy in Thursday night scrambles who stayed on the phone. We`d all hit,then go to the next shot,leaving him back on the tee,fairway,talking away!

• Administrator
The "if you can't get away from work for four hours" argument is, to me, bunk.

First off, when's the last time you were able to leave work and return four hours later and play 18 holes? So it's more like six hours.

And second, even if we take 4:00 as the argument, what if you can take 3:58 off work but someone calls to ask a quick question once or twice?

I'm all for respecting the traditions of the game and the solitude and all that jazz, but man, some of you (not any one person specifically) seem to get your panties in a bunch over some of the dumbest stuff. What's it to you if I talk on the phone without distracting or delaying play for two minutes over the course of four or five hours? Are you going to let me stop to take a leak too or does that similarly aggravate?

I get that there's a line - people can clearly spend way too much time on their cell phones during a round - but surely y'all don't draw the line at "one minute unless your wife/mother/daughter is seriously injured," do you?

I got two phone calls on Friday. One was from my wife asking when I'd be home - I told her and hung up. The other was from a friend who I said "Hey, playing golf, I'll call you back later this evening." And I don't make outgoing calls, either.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's like a lot of things in golf - bad etiquette is creeping into the game. Cell phones (or mobile phones in my neck of the woods) are banned on golf courses. If your wife is 9 months pregnant that's fine - have your mobile phone with you but put it on silent. How difficult is it to check for Missed Calls every few minutes?

I grew up in the pre portable phone days... lived most of my life without being tied to any communication device, and I'll be damned if I'm going to spend the remainder of my life any differently. If I'm expecting a call from a workman or contractor (we always seem to have some sort of project going on the house), then I'll have it on vibrate in my bag and check it occasionally, but only call back if absolutely necessary. This is a very rare occurrence. If I'm not expecting a call that needs to be answered in a timely manner, then it's turned off until I finish the round, period. The only other time I will call during a round is to call the clubhouse to report an excessively slow group or report some other breach of a course regulation (driving carts where they aren't supposed to be, etc.). Never had a complaint from my playing companions for doing that. As a course employee, that is part of my responsibility.

Playing partners that are constantly on the phone make me want to smash their heads with a wedge. It is completely acceptable to check your phone a couple times a round, or to return an important call. But the constant TEXTING drives me into a blind rage. One of my good buddies texts EVERY TIME he gets into the cart. EVERY TIME. I have stopped asking him to play because we don't even talk to each other and his texting is annoying and distracting. Our other buddies even mock him to his face when he is doing this, but he is so obsessive he can't stop. If you are like my friend, STOP. Soon you won't be able to get a game.

Incessant texting makes me crazy no matter where I am. I'm just thankful I'm not raising a teenager these days, because he or she would feel awfully deprived. I simply would not put up with it. They would either not be doing that when in the company of others, or the phone privilege would be revoked. I can assure you that anyone doing what your "friend" is doing would not be playing golf with me.

If you`ve got a potential "emergency", I can tolerate them. But,if you can`t get away from work for 4 hours,maybe you should be at work,training someone to run it for 4 hours a couple days a week. We used to get stuck with a guy in Thursday night scrambles who stayed on the phone. We`d all hit,then go to the next shot,leaving him back on the tee,fairway,talking away!

It's amazing how people actually used to be able to play a round of golf without having to be in constant touch with the outside world. I agree that if you need to be in constant contact, then you probably shouldn't be on the golf course in the first place.

In an emergency it really isn't that hard to contact someone on the course, at least not on my home course. Call the pro shop, they contact the course assistant by radio, and he heads straight for the area of the course where you should be by when you teed off. He will drive you right back to your car if necessary. Takes maybe 5-10 minutes total... not much longer than calling on a cell phone.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I agree that having a cell phone on the course can be ok, if used properly
a loud ring and a general conversation while playing is annoying

I live 0n my phone, becasue my work revolves around it
Me missing a call or email, could end up in a lost commission anywhere from $1500 to $5000 - for me, If i have to let a group or two pass me because of this, so be it.

I have the ability to work anywhere and everywhere
Sometimes, a lender will email to ask a simple question - this results in my clients deal to be approved faster and their deal to close sooner.

As iacas mentioned, I dont make outgoing calls but sometimes a 30 second call or even answering my phone to tell a client I can return their call in a few hours (because I am in a "meeting"), makes all the difference in the world.

I normally golf during the week when it is not very busy, so i have the ability to do this. Weekend golf, I will turn it on silent and check missed calls and emails as I walk down the FW.
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Note: This thread is 5353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!