IGNORED

Cleaning Clubs

iacas
Note: This thread is 6483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
After hitting many range balls, my clubs get a little... icky. They get ball marks and scrubbing removes most of the crap.

Is there an easier way? I've gotta scrub pretty aggressively. In the past, I've soaked clubs in hot soapy water and used a metal groove cleaner. Also kind of a PITA, but not too bad.

How do you clean your clubs?

P.S. No, I won't be hitting range balls with my 680s. My 962Bs will probably become my practice clubs.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...

..... Of all places, my girlfriend found a house cleaning product called "Awesome" sitting at the local - Dollar Store ...

It's great for removing blood, cleaning coffee makers, wine, standing stains in the carpet, animal stains - "hair dye.!" .. (what was she thinkin'...???) .... of course it's great in the wash basin to clean those clubs .. spray some on the clubs or drop in a half a cup, let em' sit for a few and I clean em' with a toothbrush .... I play 10/12 times a month, they have to be clean ..l.o.l...

Whats in the bag.?

Driver: Tour Edge 10* Jmax 460 Carbon with the Fuji Vista Pro 50 shaft/and, the Burrows 10.5* MAC 421cc with the Grafalloy Pro Launch 55 shaft.
Woods: only one left after switching to hybrids - Adams ST #7 22*.
Hybrids: Tour Edge 20*, 24*, 30*, 36*, 41* and the 50* Attack Wedge...

• Administrator
..... Of all places, my girlfriend found a house cleaning product called "Awesome" sitting at the local - Dollar Store ...

How much blood, wine, and hair dye do you get on your golf clubs, anyway?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I love cleaning my clubs, and I have got the cleaning down to a science. I have this thing that my mom used when she painted, but it broke so I took it from her. It is a little wooden handled thing with metal tips on both ends.(here is what it is http://www.misterart.com/store/view....ogle&WT.srch;=1 ) Any how I grinded one end off to make it a point. (Be careful, I don't want to hear anyone getting stabbed) I Left the one end the same (its good for the numbers on the bottom) It works like a tee, but the point doesn't wear out so its really nice, if you make it pointy enough it wont do any damage to the face because it will just touch the groove. Then once I get that out, I dip the club back in the water and use a tooth brush (preferably not the one you use at the moment) after that you dip it in again and wipe it dry. I don't know how worried you are about making your grooves deeper or scratching the face by accident. Also if you have any rust on the face toothpaste and a little yellow scrubber with the coarse stuff on the back works great.
Sorry for being so long winded but this should help you.
tburk
p.s. why did you change irons again if you loved the Taylor Mades so much?

IN THE BAG:
Driver: 905 T 10.5° Proforce V2 75 (Stiff)
3 & 5wood: Burner Bubble
Irons: 735.cm Stainless 3-pw
Wedges: 900 Gunmetal 52° & 58° low bounce Putter: Circa #3 CM

...... Hmmm, I'm sure there's been a time where some of my own blood has been on em' ....

I think I remember a time playing at the National in Pinehurst and a certain ball bounced off a certain tree in the middle of a certain fairway in the back nine ..l.o.l... ... (but we won't talk about that right now) ......

Whats in the bag.?

Driver: Tour Edge 10* Jmax 460 Carbon with the Fuji Vista Pro 50 shaft/and, the Burrows 10.5* MAC 421cc with the Grafalloy Pro Launch 55 shaft.
Woods: only one left after switching to hybrids - Adams ST #7 22*.
Hybrids: Tour Edge 20*, 24*, 30*, 36*, 41* and the 50* Attack Wedge...

I use a toothbrush, oxi clean(best chemical cleaner, meant for laundry), a tee(on the golf course), for my wedges i use the blade for painting, and home use, etc, its like a flat blade but only the edges are sharp, looks like a square blade. Also I use my saliva once in a while, lol. I use a microfiber towel to clean dirt out fast. Other good cleaners is that machine that you stick your club into, i use that at my local course, real nice.

On the course I use a wet towel and this groovy little brush called a Groov-E Brush, appropriately. It attaches to the towel and works pretty well. I figured I'd lose it immediately (it's two pieces that lock together with the towel in between). But in two or three years, I don't think I've lost one. The towel eventually suffers from having the brush attached, however.

Off course I only clean them occasionally with warm water, dish soap, and a toothbrush. Sometimes I'll use something like Softscrub. But since I keep the clubs pretty clean on the course, it's not hard to get them clean at home.

Oh, and I occasionally wax the crowns of my woods with car wax. Is that wrong?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

• Administrator
What about the grips? What's the best way to clean those?

Soapy water and a plastic brillo pad. Some people like sand-paper, but that only works well if you have a pretty fine touch.

One obvious word of caution: make sure you rinse the soap off thoroughly.

The most popular tool I've seen (and one that I use on course) is the 2 headed brush with metal on one side and plastic bristles on the other. The plastic side is almost useless, as it doesn't get all the dirt.

I think reading somewhere that the metal bristles are not good for the clubs - any truth to that?

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

Am I living in the dark ages? All I use to clean my clubs is water and a towel. I occasionally have to use a brush to get the tough dirt out of my grooves, but I wipe my clubs after each and every shot so they are never dirty. I do clean my grips a few of times a month with soap and water.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I think I do a pretty good job of cleaning my clubs and grips as I use them on the course so maybe once a month I'll detail them

I use hot (not boiling) water only, no soap. Like Erik, you have to becarefule and make sure you get all the soap off but there are some grips that will absorb the soap regardless so I opt not to use soap at all.

Reading all of these tips makes me wonder if the wheel cleaner for my cars wheels would be a good spray on cleaner for my clubs? How much difference does it make if you have cast clubs versus forged? I would hate to damage anything.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

On the course I use the small metal bristle brush and my golf towel. When Im home about once every three or so weeks Ill take a towel with some nail polish remover (with acetone) and clean the heads. It gets them extremely clean. For the grips I just use some hot water on a towel and wipe them down probably once every other week.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Buy yourself a sonacater like they use in labs to clean test tubes.You can get a sink size one for under 100.00 and it will do them and the grips just fine.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

spray a couple shots of simple green in a bucket and fill it 1/3 full of water. scrub with toothbrush. wipe with towel. cleans all the crud off, including range ball marks.

• 4 weeks later...
For cleaning the club head, I just use Simple Green. I just spray a shot or two, on bottom, and on the face, wait a couple seconds, then wipe off with a clean towel. You can actually see the grass/dirt stains start to run off when waiting for the couple of seconds for the cleaner to penetrate. Has worked well for me so far!

In The Bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad 460 9.5
3 Wood: G5 w/ Graffaloy Pro Launch Stiff
3-PW: MP60's Wedges: Black Pearl 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot #4Ball: Pro V1

Note: This thread is 6483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!