IGNORED

Too Fast Play?

Jeepthrills
Note: This thread is 1698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

All a player can do, is play as fast as the course conditions, and/or their own genetic timing barrier will allow them to play. Their genetic timing barrier being their own comfortable pace of play. Golfers will score better when in their own comfort zone. 

Some folks play faster than others, and vice versa. This will never change with the game of golf as we now know it. 

The best protection against too fast, or too slow of pace of play for the individual, is their own, proven preshot routine. 

Obviously, golf etiquette comes into when two different speeds of play collide with each other. Playing through is fine as long as the faster player has a place to go, so as not to slow down the slower player. 

To me, pace of play is just another part of the game, that the golfer has to deal with.

What really makes me scratch my head is the player who blames others' slow play on a their own poor score. A golfer should never let another golfer intimidate them. Especially in the amature ranks. Again, a good preshot routine help prevent this intimidation. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Interesting to see this topic pop up after the weekend I had on the course, was my first time playing completely solo since coming back to golf, all previous rounds were in the league me and a few friends are doing after work. In that league the level of skill varies from like a 8 handicap all the way up to 25+, so with that being said, depending on who you are grouping with sometimes it can be slow.

This weekend 3 different groups let me play through on the front 9, by the time I made the turn the 4th group went into the clubhouse that I was about to catch up to. Instead of going in and checking on The Open scores I went onto 10 and birdied 2 out of the first 3 holes on the back right away...this was my first time getting "in the zone" since I've started playing again. I'm a big "feel" type player so this was a pretty important experience to me considering how long it's been since I've played as I was wondering if I still "had it" when it comes to terms of getting in a groove or whatever you wanna call it.

Anyway...long story short is I'm a pretty fast paced player and I got in the zone by playing at my natural pace I guess. Shot my lowest score since being back at an 82, and honestly I did have chances to get into the high 70s but I totally wiffed some putts and chips..specifically on 2 out of the 3 par 5s on the course, only birdied 1 of the par 5s and nearly made eagle on it! 

:titleist:

:tmade:

I play slow, and honestly do not care about who is behind me. If there mad they can ask me to play through or slow down there pace.

I do not mind how fast they want to play but In my opinion I think it ruins your experience and your chance to play better when you play "Too fast". But obviously that could not be the case for some.

Edited by KrisF

Great feedback on the last couple of comments.  I think the main thing is here is be reasonable about the speed of others considering the situation.  If there is room, let the faster player(s) through.  The faster player needs to play through if asked by the slower one as well.  I have had a couple of people on my heels before who refused to play through.  And of there is no room, back off.  Pushing the group ahead of you doesn't do anything except make the experience worse for both parties.

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, KrisF said:

I play slow, and honestly do not care about who is behind me. If there mad they can ask me to play through or slow down there pace.

I do not mind how fast they want to play but In my opinion I think it ruins your experience and your chance to play better when you play "Too fast". But obviously that could not be the case for some.

Are you just trolling at this point?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

He must be.  I struggle to believe that anyone could actually be that ridiculously obtuse.

Then again, the grammar may indicate otherwise...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

8 minutes ago, klineka said:

Incredibly rude.

If you see someone behind you waiting on every shot and you know you are the slow one, you should wait for them to catch up with you at a tee box and ask them if they want to play through. 

I agree its incredibly rude to not let someone play through, if it's possible.  It's also incredibly rude to push up on others who are keeping pace with the group ahead of them or even backed up themselves.

• Like 1

Playing too fast is a pretty rare problem where I'm from.

Supposing the place isn't completely jammed, letting someone play through isn't a problem. There are afternoons, where there simply isn't anywhere to go. 

Personally, my pace is usually decent for a hacker, but if I'm really struggling I'll rush. It can be pretty amazing how fast you can move on an empty course when you just don't care anymore. Think I covered 18 holes in about 2:15. Don't ask about the score. I stopped counting.

To my main point, there is a pace of play that is too fast.  I think that there is always a speed too fast that negatively impacts a person's game, and that speed varies a lot depending on the person, but there is a limit for everyone.

BUT since we share the course with others, our actions can impact the play and experience of those in front and behind us on the course.  So there is a pace of play, even if it feels slow to ourselves, that is very fast for the normal pace of play we can reasonably expect others to play at.

Just like driving a car, some people drive way too fast and others way too slow.  But when there is a lot of traffic, riding the bumper of the car who is backed up does nothing except be make the experience worse for you and the other car.

So really fast players, it's cool you like to play fast.  Just don't be an a-hole to the group ahead of you when there isn't room for you to play through.

1 minute ago, cox34j said:

To my main point, there is a pace of play that is too fast.  I think that there is always a speed too fast that negatively impacts a person's game, and that speed varies a lot depending on the person, but there is a limit for everyone.

I suspect that for a lot of people, that “limit” is a LOT faster than you might realize.

I play with plenty of golfers who play very comfortably, and unrushed at 2:10 or so for a 2-ball, and 2:30 for 4...

In David's bag....

I personally play 9 holes in under 2 hours, and a lot of times closer to 1hr30mins.  If I play up to the group ahead of me and it's not reasonable to expect them to let me play through, I chill out and give them some room.  I don't hit the ball onto their hills, which is way worse than slow play.

And I feel like I am a fast player, but I have noticed a lot of guys who bulldoze everyone and will do whatever it takes to get through.  These guys must be trying to do 9 holes in under 90mins.  Which is their choice, but they will be complete jerks regardless of the situation.

Also like I said, I even had guys hit within 10-20 yards of me most of the way through a course and I offered multiple times to let them play through and they won't.  This is just one of many things I have noticed in the last couple of years.  People are not trying to be golfers anymore, because the most important thing about golf is being considerate of others on the course.  Some people, the most important thing is how fast they play, more important than their final score it seems like.

1 minute ago, cox34j said:

I personally play 9 holes in under 2 hours, and a lot of times closer to 1hr30mins.  If I play up to the group ahead of me and it's not reasonable to expect them to let me play through, I chill out and give them some room.  I don't hit the ball onto their hills, which is way worse than slow play.

And I feel like I am a fast player, but I have noticed a lot of guys who bulldoze everyone and will do whatever it takes to get through.  These guys must be trying to do 9 holes in under 90mins.  Which is their choice, but they will be complete jerks regardless of the situation.

Also like I said, I even had guys hit within 10-20 yards of me most of the way through a course and I offered multiple times to let them play through and they won't.  This is just one of many things I have noticed in the last couple of years.  People are not trying to be golfers anymore, because the most important thing about golf is being considerate of others on the course.  Some people, the most important thing is how fast they play, more important than their final score it seems like.

To be clear, I’m talking about solid single digit players playing 18 holes, not 9, in around 2 hours, as a group, not individually....

• Like 1

In David's bag....

17 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I suspect that for a lot of people, that “limit” is a LOT faster than you might realize.

I play with plenty of golfers who play very comfortably, and unrushed at 2:10 or so for a 2-ball, and 2:30 for 4...

And those times you are arguing are slow for me personally.  But I also am pragmatic to realize if I try to play 9 holes in under 90 mins, I am costing myself strokes.  That's me personally.  I also don't bulldoze those who play 2 to 2.5 hour 9 hole rounds, because that's a reasonable time for most people.

9 minutes ago, David in FL said:

To be clear, I’m talking about solid single digit players playing 18 holes, not 9, in around 2 hours, as a group, not individually....

18 holes in under 2 hours, group of 4?  6.6 mins per hole?  1 min 36 secs per stroke (if they shot par).  That's pretty cool story.

8 minutes ago, cox34j said:

And those times you are arguing are slow for me personally.  But I also am pragmatic to realize if I try to play 9 holes in under 90 mins, I am costing myself strokes.  That's me personally.  I also don't bulldoze those who play 2 to 2.5 hour 9 hole rounds, because that's a reasonable time for most people.

18 holes in under 2 hours, group of 4?  6.6 mins per hole?  36 secs per stroke (if they shot par).  That's pretty cool story.

And that 1 min 36 secs per stroke is for 1 person.  Doesn't factor in the other players, and needing to travel to the ball between shots.  Again, cool story.

Edited by cox34j

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

What the heck man? You think im trolling evreytime I speak...

6 minutes ago, cox34j said:

I also don't bulldoze those who play 2 to 2.5 hour 9 hole rounds, because that's a reasonable time for most people.

I'll agree with you that getting into confrontations with the people in front of you isn't normally helpful. 

However, 2.5 hours for nine holes (aka 5 hours for 18 holes) is not reasonable. 2 is about as long as nine holes should ever take.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, klineka said:

Incredibly rude.

If you see someone behind you waiting on every shot and you know you are the slow one, you should wait for them to catch up with you at a tee box and ask them if they want to play through. 

Heck, the people I play with disrespect the people that play slower than me and the people that are faster also disrespect me. Its simple if you want to play fast and your stuck behind someone be patient then ask to play through.

9 minutes ago, KrisF said:

Heck, the people I play with disrespect the people that play slower than me and the people that are faster also disrespect me. Its simple if you want to play fast and your stuck behind someone be patient then ask to play through.

Where I play at, play is incredibly slow in the morning. The faster people typically come out in the afternoon/late afternoon hours when it is hotter and when no one is out. I also talked to the starters about this issue when I first played there, they told me  "Dont rush anyone and take your time".  I am not the guy who rushes people I am the one that gets rushed.

I am also losing my temper over the fact that you assume I am trolling every dang time I chat on here.

Edited by KrisF

Pace of play is an issue when it dictates your flow. If you have to wait for the group in front of you, it is an issue. If the group behind you is hitting into you or waiting on you it is an issue. 

I played as a 3-some in our normal saturday group. I walked and we finished in 3:27 even waiting on a few shots. The 2 groups behind us finished about 10 min intervals but the last group was over 40 mins late. That is a problem. But I have  played with the same group and been at the right pace playing in 4:30. No waiting no rushing.

Note: This thread is 1698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!