IGNORED

The Biggest Secret? Slide Your Hips

iacas

Because most peoples' natural tendency is to try lifting the ball, which is done best with the weight back. Many are also taught to shift the body (and weight) back, and from there only rotate.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

well this makes sense now
I'm going through some swing changes right now and i understod why i shouldnt slide back on my back foot but i didnt see how it was possible to hit the ball without yanking it into the bush if i wasnt sliding forward

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

Because most peoples' natural tendency is to try lifting the ball, which is done best with the weight back. Many are also taught to shift the body (and weight) back, and from there only rotate.

Well, I never had a formal golf lesson - just a few instructors walking by and dispensing free tips on shoulder turn and a straight left wrist. I think that it is just a normal move and feels really, really awkward when trying. I always hit the ground first when just trying to slide forward, even having my weight forward. And still do...

Well, I never had a formal golf lesson - just a few instructors walking by and dispensing free tips on shoulder turn and a straight left wrist. I think that it is just a normal move and feels really, really awkward when trying. I always hit the ground first when just trying to slide forward, even having my weight forward. And still do...

You gotta learn, no matter how uncomfortable it is. You cannot make the proper golf swing without sliding the hips forward. Hitting the ground first is a sign you're casting the club. It's essential to get the hips forward so the hands can come from the inside. If your hips don't move, you come over the top, or your plane is too steep. The best ballstrikers are the ones who have the longest flat spot at the bottom of their swing arc, and the only way to do that is to slide the hips.

Further submission of a really pronounced slider. Put your cursor on the left hip and watch where it is by the time he gets back to the ball!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Ben Hogan hitting a short iron:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

There's this one of Hogan, too. Can't remember exactly where it came from, but it's quite nicely done.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Can you find some images when he is at address.. BEcause its a bit misleading to start with him at the top of his swing. Of course he will move left, because his weight is more on his right side, to get to the ball with out hitting it fat or hooking it is to get to the left, and the weight needs to slide left. But that move laterally isn't as much as you say it is when you view it from address position.

What you might do there is cause people to really throw there hips out there, which done wrong, can lead to serious back problems.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
Can you find some images when he is at address.. BEcause its a bit misleading to start with him at the top of his swing.

Look at the last frame here:

Does that look like address to you? But hey, you wanted some more proof? End of the post.
Of course he will move left, because his weight is more on his right side, to get to the ball with out hitting it fat or hooking it is to get to the left

Weight forward is how you hit from the inside.

But that move laterally isn't as much as you say it is when you view it from address position.

That's not correct.

What you might do there is cause people to really throw there hips out there, which done wrong, can lead to serious back problems.

No, it doesn't. Staying in flexion is the way to injure your back.

I'd call these positions P1 (address), P4 (top of the backswing), and P7.3 (just after impact). Note that not only does his left hip get forward, his RIGHT HIP is forward of CENTER just past impact. Hogan's head remained steady right up until impact and then he let it swivel forward, through, and up. The green lines on the outside edges show that the frames are aligned.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
Can you find some images when he is at address.. BEcause its a bit misleading to start with him at the top of his swing.

Look at the last frame here:

Does that look like address to you? But hey, you wanted some more proof? End of the post.
Of course he will move left, because his weight is more on his right side, to get to the ball with out hitting it fat or hooking it is to get to the left

Weight forward is how you hit from the inside.

But that move laterally isn't as much as you say it is when you view it from address position.

That's not correct.

No, it doesn't. Staying in flexion is the way to injure your back.

I'd call these positions P1 (address), P4 (top of the backswing), and P7.3 (just after impact). Note that not only does his left hip get forward, his RIGHT HIP is forward of CENTER just past impact. Hogan's head remained steady right up until impact and then he let it swivel forward, through, and up. The green lines on the outside edges show that the frames are aligned.

You got me ;b

But it does look like it moves less than it does when you just draw lines from at the top of the backswing, but yea he moves alot... But what i think needs to be pointed out is that his left shoulder is out there to. I think to many people get stuck doing this, were they are hung back on the right side... see how the hips can get out to infront while the upper body gets stuck back. I think McLean put it best that we have two centers of gravity, once in the core and one in the chest, we have to get those synched up.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• Administrator
once in the core and one in the chest, we have to get those synched up.

We don't have to get them "synced" up. The upper center remains stable through P7. It can move a bit after that but stable through P7. It doesn't go forward in any sort of "synced" way with the lower center.

The golfer in your picture hasn't pushed forward enough. His upper center translated to his right on the downswing. Could be a number of things, including needing to push the hips forward more and release his accumulators faster (get his arms down sooner). Look at the left ankle to knee - it's nearly vertical. It should be 15-25° forward.

I can't believe what I just read. I have a huge problem with slicing and fading most of my shots. My first time at the range today, and I had a handful (out of 2 buckets worth) of clean shots. I knew my body was moving towards my target, but I didn't know how. This just clarified so much for me, and I'm going to hit the range more tomorrow to practice this. Thank you TST!

Peeking out of my Ascent stand bag

Hyper X 10*
3, 5, 7 X Fairway Woods
MP-57 4-PW MP-T10 56*-10 White Hot #1

I think i need to read a stack and tilt book before understanding what you mean by pushed forward. I get lost in the descriptions you write, not the terms or visuals i am use to.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
I think i need to read a stack and tilt book before understanding what you mean by pushed forward. I get lost in the descriptions you write, not the terms or visuals i am use to.

Read the book or attend a clinic. I've invited you to do both. We're not that far away...

• 4 weeks later...
I am having a ton of trouble actually getting my hips to move forward. I know where they need to go, but I can't seem to get them to start moving to the left. I've tried focusing on my left knee, and getting it to move forward to begin the downswing, but that is not a feeling that is working for me. Any ideas on how to actually start this movement?

I am having a ton of trouble actually getting my hips to move forward. I know where they need to go, but I can't seem to get them to start moving to the left. I've tried focusing on my left knee, and getting it to move forward to begin the downswing, but that is not a feeling that is working for me. Any ideas on how to actually start this movement?

My guess it is your timing. Don't think in terms of backswing and downswing, think more in terms of a fluid motion with a "transition period." If you are attempting to fire your hips at the "top" of your backswing you are doing it to late and can lead to problems. You need to have the lateral motion started

before you have completed your backswing. That movement sets the proper dynamics in motion. It makes a big difference in the feel of the swing as well.