IGNORED

Anyone enjoying the drink tonight?

Danny Noonan
Note: This thread is 1654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tonight it's Rogue Dead Guy Whiskey, neat.  Very unique stuff, kind of reminds me of Irish whiskey with its sweetness.  It actually faintly smells and tastes like banana; somehow it's not ruined by this, believe it or not.  Highly recommend giving it a try if you can get your hands on some.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by zeg

Tonight it's Rogue Dead Guy Whiskey, neat.  Very unique stuff, kind of reminds me of Irish whiskey with its sweetness.  It actually faintly smells and tastes like banana; somehow it's not ruined by this, believe it or not.  Highly recommend giving it a try if you can get your hands on some.

Neat is the only way to fly!

I'm in full Whiskey Season right now. Last night I broke out my bottle of Mekong (Thai whiskey) I smuggl... I mean, happened to find in my luggage after my trip to Thailand. I'm so pissed that I only have an itsy-bitsy left and from what I understand, Thailand is not exporting any alcoholic beverages. Now I'm even more pissed! It is honestly the best whiskey I've had. Tastes smooth going down, not too harsh, and just a divine after taste. Granted I've only tried four or five, but there is nothing like the taste of this stuff. I do have an acquaintance in Thailand. I'mma see if he and I can work out some sort of deal...!

Tonight I did try something new. I was hanging out downtown and at an "Irish pub" called Casey's. They have a pretty good selection of Irish Wisheys. I glanced over the descriptions trying to find something similar to Mekong and came across one called Powers. Really nice, just not quite Mekong status.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Originally Posted by Ben

I'm in full Whiskey Season right now. Last night I broke out my bottle of Mekong (Thai whiskey) I smuggl... I mean, happened to find in my luggage after my trip to Thailand. I'm so pissed that I only have an itsy-bitsy left and from what I understand, Thailand is not exporting any alcoholic beverages. Now I'm even more pissed! It is honestly the best whiskey I've had. Tastes smooth going down, not too harsh, and just a divine after taste. Granted I've only tried four or five, but there is nothing like the taste of this stuff. I do have an acquaintance in Thailand. I'mma see if he and I can work out some sort of deal...!

Tonight I did try something new. I was hanging out downtown and at an "Irish pub" called Casey's. They have a pretty good selection of Irish Wisheys. I glanced over the descriptions trying to find something similar to Mekong and came across one called Powers. Really nice, just not quite Mekong status.

That Mekong sounds like good stuff.  I used to drink Powers because it was the only Irish whiskey I could find that wasn't Bushmills or Jameson at the place I shopped.  I remember liking it, but it's been years since I've had any.  Actually, I had the bottle around until recently because I mixed up some homemade vanilla extract and kept it in that bottle.

I can only really enjoy neat with certain whiskeys.  If there's any harshness (or if I'm planning on drinking more than one), I usually like an ice cube to make it a little easier to drink.  It works out well because at the beginning, you get the straight whiskey, but as you get toward the end of the drink, it's a little weaker and easier to handle (for a pansy like me).

In the bag:

Originally Posted by zeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben

That Mekong sounds like good stuff.  I used to drink Powers because it was the only Irish whiskey I could find that wasn't Bushmills or Jameson at the place I shopped.  I remember liking it, but it's been years since I've had any.  Actually, I had the bottle around until recently because I mixed up some homemade vanilla extract and kept it in that bottle.

I can only really enjoy neat with certain whiskeys.  If there's any harshness (or if I'm planning on drinking more than one), I usually like an ice cube to make it a little easier to drink.  It works out well because at the beginning, you get the straight whiskey, but as you get toward the end of the drink, it's a little weaker and easier to handle (for a pansy like me).

hahaha, you said that not me...

That line reminds of when I first started drinking whisky in the first place. After watching Deadwood on HBO. Al Swearingen was talking smack about another character. "did he down it, or is he, sippin' it" Giving a little twinkly twist of the hand as he said that last bit. I suppose I shouldn't let a fictional TV show tell me how to drink my booze, but hey, men were men back in those days, and I are a man!

I do actually really like the end of a Jack and Coke, when the ingredients have blended together in that nice way.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight was a vodka gimlet (2 parts Stoli vodka, 1 part Rose's sweetened lime juice) because we were out of ice and the vodka in the freezer was the only cold liquor...

Couple nights ago mixed up a couple of whiskey sours that came out great.  The keys: fresh lemon juice and an orange slice + maraschino cherry garnish.  My recipe is roughly 2 parts Canadian whiskey (or any mild-flavored North American-style whiskey), 1 part lemon juice, and 1/2 to 3/4 part sugar syrup (depending on how tart the lemon juice is).  I say roughly because I don't measure the lemon juice, just figure a small lemon probably gives about an ounce of juice, more or less.  The garnishes are key here---while the drink is fine without them, the scent of the orange and cherry really trick your mind into thinking there's more in the drink than there is.

If you've only ever used bottled sour mix, give it a try with fresh lemons (or, in a pinch, bottled lemon juice, preferably the type that includes the lemon oil).  It's really a different experience.

In the bag:

drinking some of my fiancee's uncle's 130 proof apple moonshine and havin a few moon-marachino cherries to go with...god i love her family hahaha

**EDIT** tonight of course, not at 10:50 in the am...that'd be the sign of a problem, or a well done thursday night.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Enjoying some Forty Creek Canadian Whisky with a splash of ginger tonight.  Very enjoyable!

In mymaxfli.gif Tour Stand Bag:
callaway.gifHyper X Tour - 10.5* Driver - Fujikura Fit-On E-360 Stiff Shaft
titleist.gif980F 15* 3wd - Fujikura Speeder Stiff Shaft
callaway.gif FT - 18* Hybrid - Fujikura Fit-On M Stiff Shaft
ping.gifISI-K - 3-pw - Ping Z-z65 Stiff Steel Shaftscleveland.gif588DSG - 56* SW & 60* LWheavyputter.gif B3-M Puttercallaway.gifsrixon.gif, or titleist.gifBalls     

I think tonight it will be Knob Creek Kentucky Straight Bourbon, neat. It's my favorite because it's 100 proof opposed to the usual 90 or 80, but at the same time as smooth or smoother.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

I went to a hockey game tonight, and nursed an $8 Black and Tan from the first intermission on.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• 1 month later...

Pappy Van Winkle 20. Care package from a mate in the US. Make that a good mate!

AWPVW20.jpg

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Bushmills with one ice cube.

Last night was a bit of Swedish "snaps," a bitters-like hard alcohol (the word is related to "schnapps," but it's not at all the same as what we call schnapps in the US).  This one had cumin and a couple other spices.  Unusual, but not unpleasant.  I've got a bit more of that one plus 9 other little 50 mL bottles flavored in various combinations of cumin, anise, and other herbs and spices.  Very interesting stuff.

In the bag:

• 2 weeks later...

Maker's Mark manhattan minus the marichino cherry!

In my Ogio bag:
Ping B60 Isoforce,

2 Rusty Callaway wedges w/riffle 6.0,

Ping ISI BeCu w/riffle 6.0,
Callaway Heavenwood 3,

Callaway Big Bertha 4 wood,

and a Ping G10 driver!

Originally Posted by BigDaddy

Maker's Mark manhattan minus the marichino cherry!

Manhattan with Buffalo Trace, plus cherry, with a splash of Cointreau added.

Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• 5 weeks later...

It's Kentucky Derby time, which means it's also mint julep time!

mint-julep.jpg

I enjoyed far too many drink last night. Started with some wine at Mothers Day dinner. Then to vodka drinks watching the Pacquiao fight.

If there is one good think about working the opening shift at the golf shop (6am) after a night like last night is that I'm done at 10am! And I can't wait.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Originally Posted by Ben

I enjoyed far too many drink last night. Started with some wine at Mothers Day dinner. Then to vodka drinks watching the Pacquiao fight.

If there is one good think about working the opening shift at the golf shop (6am) after a night like last night is that I'm done at 10am! And I can't wait.

Throw up into the Srixon shelf and mark them all as Tour Yellow(ish)?

Having a spot of this fine local product, which was voted one of the the best brandies (cognacs) in the world a few years back. It tastes like burning.

GetWinePicture.aspx?WINEID=23518&Type=Original

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

I've been on a bit of a gimmicky drink kick lately.  Picked up a bottle of blue curaçao and green crème de menthe and made a few unnaturally colorful cocktails for my wife and I.  Also got some peach schnapps and made some fuzzy navels.  I think the winner was probably the "Mexican grasshopper," with Kahlua, crème de menthe, and half-and-half.  It was eerily like a liquid Girl Scouts cookie (and equally difficult to avoid consuming far too quickly).  Can't say I want a sweet, neon-colored drink every time, but these have all been fun.

In the bag:

Note: This thread is 1654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!