IGNORED

Anyone enjoying the drink tonight?

Danny Noonan
Note: This thread is 1616 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The McCallen is nice, but quite round, as you say. I also like the Lagavulin, but if you are feeling a bit adventurous, the Laphroaig Quarter cask

I'll try the Laphroaig based upon your recommendation. Do you prefer the 10 or the 15? I've always been told/read that anything older than 15 or 16 years old, and you are just wasting money. Any truth to that?

- DN

- DN
Sun Mountain C-130 Bag - Titanium
Ping G10 Irons PW-5
Ping G10 Driver
Ping G10 21 and 24 HybridsPing G15 17 HybridScotty Newport 2 Button BackTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 52 (8), 56 (14), and 60 (4)Titleist ProV1Backspin Buddy Groove Sharpener (yes, it works great)Adidas 360 Ltd.

I'll try the Laphroaig based upon your recommendation. Do you prefer the 10 or the 15? I've always been told/read that anything older than 15 or 16 years old, and you are just wasting money. Any truth to that?

I have only tasted the 10 year variant (unfortunately the 15 year old variant is not available here), so I can only speak for that one.

As for old whiskies, I think it is the same as with hi-fi equipment. At some point, you will start to pay a lot more for the last percentages of enjoyment than it might be worth. (Although I really did enjoy a bottle of blue Johnny Walker a few years ago. mmmmmmm best present ever mmmmm (Just had to run to the bar, where I got a bottle of Macallen Elegancia. Bit of sherry and cognac in it. Just to refresh my memory, I opened my latest purchase, (yet another) a bottle of Balvenie, and they are quite similar. If you are new to the world of scotch, I can only recommend trying different brands. It is fun and there is so much to taste!)

Looks like we got a classy guy here, folks

Has nothing to do with class.

In less than a year, if he joined, they'd put a full auto in his hand and put him in the middle of Afghanistan killing people. So he has a drink. Class has nothing to do with it. The things I was doing when I was 17. Heh. And please, don't get me wrong. I'm not really okay with 17 year olds drinking or doing other things. But, the reality of it is, they are doing it, they have done it for many many years, it will never end, it is what it is. - DN

- DN
Ping G10 Irons PW-5
Ping G10 Driver
Ping G10 21 and 24 HybridsPing G15 17 HybridScotty Newport 2 Button BackTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 52 (8), 56 (14), and 60 (4)Titleist ProV1Backspin Buddy Groove Sharpener (yes, it works great)Adidas 360 Ltd.

I'm a fan of Macallan's [*, **] although I don't drink it very often. I can understand why some would not like it, it's definitely sharp compared to a lot. But I like it that way.

I usually drink it neat, but with a few drops of water. Not even what you'd call a splash, really just dip my fingers in a glass of water and drip a few drops in. I picked this up a few years ago when I was fortunate enough to attend a scotch tasting the Macallan people put on and they strongly suggested this approach. The theory was that after years in the bottle, the liquor was so stable that a disturbance would liven up its nose a bit. I'm not entirely convinced there's anything more than the power of suggestion at work there, but it lets me feel like one of the cool kids to have a ritual like that.
[*] Yeah yeah, I know it's "The Macallan," but that's not how I talk.

[**] Macallan is the correct spelling. Come on guys, it's one of the EASY ones to spell!

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Has nothing to do with class.

That is true for me as well. I'm forty with a son who is too fastly approaching his teenage years. I guess something here hit a chord with me. I've done a lot of crazy stuff that I was fortunate to live through and learn from. I guess I see someone so young possibly taking steps in that direction and it scares me for him. Ultimately he'll see way worse and have to make his own choices. The scariest thing of all, to me at least, is that the things that young folks are faced with...the decisions they make.....can seriously influence the path that their lives go down. And they may not even be aware of this....frightening. Oh well, I'm off my soapbox now and back to being a golfer going through withdrawals.....can't play until Wednesday or Thursday....it's driving me nuts.....two weeks without swinging a club.....getting grumpy!!!!!! This combined with my college team losing as well as Georgia getting their arse handed to them yesterday......whew.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

The things I was doing when I was 17. Heh.

When I was 16, I ran into a teacher from my high school in a bar. He and I had a drink together. I never did take a class from him, but he was a cool guy.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I was 16, I ran into a teacher from my high school in a bar. He and I had a drink together. I never did take a class from him, but he was a cool guy.

When I was in high school, I had a teacher that didn't drive. He was also the teacher that ran after school detention, and he also was a very heavy drinker. So, I'd get detention on Friday on purpose, I'd drive him to the liquor store and the grocery store during detention, and I'd be rewarded with a twelve pack every time.

Also, I smoked a lot of strange stuff when I was 16, 17, and 18. Quit all that when I entered college. But the fact is, kids are into things. I was 16, 17, and 18 in 1986, 87, and 88. Times haven't gone backwards, I assure you. And the things I did and got away with scare the crap out of me in regards to my two kids, ages 6 and 1. In particular, not recognizing how much you have had to drink before driving. Teens and college aged kids are terrible with this and I've got about 10 years to figure out how I will handle it with my first born. Nothing scares me more than this one issue. Kids do not realize just what a life changer this is. I didn't when I was a teen, and I got real lucky. - DN

- DN
Ping G10 Irons PW-5
Ping G10 Driver

Yup...tonight! After a couple of buckets at the range, I stopped in at an Am Legion, only to discover that the CDR was a guy whom I was stationed w/overseas nearly 30 years ago. We had a few more Scotch and waters and I'm just continue'n to march! So CHEERS!!!!

Kind of boring, I suppose, but scotch for me tonight.

- DN
Ping G10 Irons PW-5
Ping G10 Driver

Bokbunjajoo for me tonight. Its a Korean black rasberry wine. 15% alc/vol.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Bokbunjajoo for me tonight. Its a Korean black rasberry wine. 15% alc/vol.

Did you happen to find it nearby? Do you mind if I ask where and how much? I've been looking for something like for a little while.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

man the weather has been crappy for over a week and im going stir crazy... i need a drink something fierce... sipping on a screwdriver at the moment
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I love new castle on tap. Its sooo smooth.

Oh I bet, newcastle is definitely a good beer that is readily available.

I'm also a scotch fan and THE Glenlivet is currently in my arsenal. Im also a HUGE Cabernet/Shiraz/any other red Wine fanatic. Currently though, I am enjoying my current triumph which is $10.99 Coors Light 18 pack BOTTLES. What a crazy deal I had to pick up 2. Even natural light in CANS is more expensive so I'd be dumb not to pick this one up. Only problem is that the mountains are NOT BLUE!!! I think its broken!!! I swear its cold!
How fitting:

Youre my boy and all for liking the phillies but I cant get over the LITE arnold palmers. I make my own non light at soda fountains but the artificial sweetener gives me headaches and tastes terrible. If only they made non-light versions of that... 99cent Arizonas are what I practically live off of at work, Green tea, raspberry tea, lemon tea are real winners.

That is true for me as well. I'm forty with a son who is too fastly approaching his teenage years. I guess something here hit a chord with me.

No worries. If you raised him right he will know how to steer clear of trouble. I started drinking socially in my freshman year of college. While some people get into/start fights, others just take it easy and stay out of trouble, often only drinking over a game of poker or other random drinking game. I don't remember a single college party that didn't involve some sort of drama whether it be cops/fights/etc. A good kid knows enough to avoid drugs and whatnot, a little alcohol just makes it easier to talk to that hot girl he always wanted to chat with

Also honesty is a big moral of mine and I always would tell my parents about it if they asked. They disapproved of course but it was a good time with friends, never got into trouble, and my grades and degree prove that I could handle myself.

In my
Extreme Sport bag:
FTiq 10° Stiff Flex Driver
906F4 Fairway 15.5°
SQ 3/5i Hybrids 21°/26° AP1 S300 4-W SV Tour 54° Vokey Oil Can 58° Nike iC 20-10A Blade Putter"The only Pro-V that I use is my shampoo." - Me

Oh I bet, newcastle is definitely a good beer that is readily available.

I just tried Newcastle Summer Ale on tap last night. Wasn't bad. Had pretty noticeable "Newcastle" flavor but a little more crisp and with a lighter finish.

I'm also a scotch fan and THE Glenlivet is currently in my arsenal. Im also a HUGE Cabernet/Shiraz/any other red Wine fanatic.

I too am a Scotch fan that has been drinking wine lately. Red guy here as well. Lately been experimenting with some blends, but am a huge petite sirah fan. Cab is always a good go-to.

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid
CG Gold 4-PW CG14 52.10 SM 56.14 IC 20-10a 34" Putter SDF balls (was on sale)

Note: This thread is 1616 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!