IGNORED

How long is your driver shaft (thats what she said)

kjb008
Note: This thread is 4496 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

45.5 but im 6"1 and only 14 but i also hit about 12 to 13 fairways and i will choke down if it is a tight fairway
DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a standard 45'' shaft. But I tend to grip down a bit on it so it really plays to about 44.5". If I grip down more, I find I don't lose really any distance at all. I might even gain some distance. I'll take 5 yards shorter and in the right spot on the fairway, than a bit farther and in trouble ANY DAY.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

I played a season opening 9 holes today with my cut down driver, and the difference was solid. I used driver 7 times and hit 4 fairways. The other three I tried to murder the ball and pushed it with a fade. Im faithful that a range session or two dialing in my swing will let me swing hard and fly the ball straight.

Great results anyway being it was the first day I hit it.

I was playing with a single digit handicap that was ragging on me saying I was sacrificing distance and losing club head speed, but when I swung in control, my drives were right with his distance-wise.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played a season opening 9 holes today with my cut down driver, and the difference was solid. I used driver 7 times and hit 4 fairways. The other three I tried to murder the ball and pushed it with a fade. Im faithful that a range session or two dialing in my swing will let me swing hard and fly the ball straight.

If someone tells you that a longer driver will give you more distance, ignore anything else they may say, they have lost credibility. You can add 4" of shaft to your driver, and you will get about 7 extra yards. You will probably also lose 20-40 yards due to off center hits.

• 10 months later...

Originally Posted by HogansSecrets

I can swing a 48 in. driver well. On level I get like 265 with a fade and up to 280 with a draw proforce v2 79g x fex

Wow, you are better than a tour pro, amazing.  I wonder why your handicap is 11?  Seriously, don't be a fool.

I generally play my drivers between 45-46 inches. I just built one yesterday that will play @ 46.5". It's an ADAMS Speedline Fast 10 that the headweight is 196.8g so as something different I put an UST V2 59g X untipped and will see how the ultra light set up works. Hope to gain a few yds. with more club head speed.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks A Million View Post
If someone tells you that a longer driver will give you more distance, ignore anything else they may say, they have lost credibility. You can add 4" of shaft to your driver, and you will get about 7 extra yards. You will probably also lose 20-40 yards due to off center hits.

Wait I am confused by this post...maybe I am not reading it corretly but didn't you say "If someone tells you that a longer driver will give you more distance, ignore anything else they may say, they have lost credibility." and then right after that you made the comment as follows "You can add 4" of shaft to your driver, and you will get about 7 extra yards." ...don't those two statements contradict each other...because in fact it is true that a longer shaft will get you more distance...period...now I think what you were getting at was that even though that is true it does not always work out that way becuase it is harder to square up a longer shaft so a higher handicapper would probably be better off swinging a shorter shaft and trying to hit the middle of the clubface...am I in the ball park?

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-Guy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks A Million View Post

Wait I am confused by this post...maybe I am not reading it corretly but didn't you say "If someone tells you that a longer driver will give you more distance, ignore anything else they may say, they have lost credibility." and then right after that you made the comment as follows "You can add 4" of shaft to your driver, and you will get about 7 extra yards." ...don't those two statements contradict each other...because in fact it is true that a longer shaft will get you more distance...period...now I think what you were getting at was that even though that is true it does not always work out that way becuase it is harder to square up a longer shaft so a higher handicapper would probably be better off swinging a shorter shaft and trying to hit the middle of the clubface...am I in the ball park?

He did contradict himself and as a general rule, the latter statement is correct for most golfers, BUT he shot himself in the foot with his 1st statement. Therefore he's "lost all credibility".

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Originally Posted by LBlack14

He did contradict himself and as a general rule, the latter statement is correct for most golfers, BUT he shot himself in the foot with his 1st statement. Therefore he's "lost all credibility".

I was just wondering if I read that right...

Oh by the way my current driver length is 43 inch...because my driver is back in the closet and I am playing my strong 3 wood off the tee again...I am not sure if it is the length or just the large head of drivers that throws my swing off but I just cannot seem to hit them as well as I should...I hit my strong 3 wood just as far...and a lot more consistently in the fairway.

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

My current driver is 45.75" and my next one will be 45". For comparison purposes, my irons are 1-1/4 inches longer than standard, as I'm an elongated piece of shit work.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I do hit the middle of the face most of the time with my 48 in driver. I do understand that shorter length = accuracy. The swing weight is in F. I think I could go shorter. But not yet. as to my 11 handcp. I am over the mid way point of a swing revamp (to more of a one plane swing) that happend when I started shooting 81s with the old 'loop' swing: Inside takaway, hinge up, high rt elbow, drop/slide and turn and fire- rt elbow close to rt hip at impact. Got my distance (finally). And that is huge. Next step is to make it accurate and not loose distance for my next configuration of driver. There is method to this madness.  The longer driver ( I believe ) has help accentuate where faults lie and I am better for it. With the right shaft at a more suitable length and a better swing I think I should be able get more distance bc of better mechanics. And now that I am beginning to work the ball off the tee and seriously not get double crossed, my hdcp will drop def.

Mine is 44.5" and on the heavier side for a driver shaft (75g).  I may give up ~ 5 - 10 yards over a modern lighter/longer driver, but I really love the feel and control.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

I did have a string of hitting  6 of 7 fwys from the us open tees last week with this driver while playing 8 holes. NO BS.

Hey shanks a millions you posted:

"Wow, you are better than a tour pro, amazing.  I wonder why your handicap is 11?  Seriously, don't be a fool." """""""

I dont know of any touring pros that do hit a 48 in driver so my guess is that you were referring to my 265 yard fade and 278 yard draw as being tour quality if accurate?

Please clarify. thanks

I currently play a 45.75" driver with a 9.5* head, reg flex.  I have a tough time getting the thing in the air.  All my clubs are +1".  I've hit a driver with a 47.25" shaft in 12*, stiff flex and it was totally awesome.  Instead of my natural fade I was hitting an easy draw with +10-12 extra yards. I have a 12* 47.25" driver on the way.  Its built "lite" with a stiff shaft.  I think the finished club will weigh in around 270 grams.  Should add a few mph'ers swing speed with the lighter build and not be soft due to the stiff flex.  I'm keeping mt fingers crossed : )

Driver Callaway Diablo Edge --- Custom Sonartec 3, 5 and 7 woods made +1" stiff shafts --- Irons 5-L Ping G10 +1" 4.5* upright reg shafts --- ---Putter Tiger Shark

When you trim a club shaft, it changes the swing weight. If I trim my driver from 45.5" to 44.5", it would bring down the swingweight from D5 to about D0 or C9.

Some golfers say you can pour lead powder into the shaft to increase the swingweight. Do such people get their driver reshafted with lead powder in the clubhead, or just pour it down the shaft and shove a cork piece in behind to stabilize it?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 4496 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!