IGNORED

High Handicaper's Next Irons?

Wekims
Note: This thread is 5243 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What irons do you recommend for an improving high handicaper?

I have super game improvement, clone, senior flex irons. I'm pulling them with very high shots. To hit them straight I have to back off and then the distance is less. When I swing full, they are about 20 yards left and 10 yards longer.

So, I'm looking for my next irons with R flex.

My driver and hybrids are R flex and I hit them straight.

Ping G10.

x2. very forgiving. if you can get used to how wide the soles are... the i-10's are not that hard to hit either....

RBZ stage 2 driver & 3 wood

Original AP1 4-GW

Vokey 54.10 & 58.04

Scotty Newport 2

use set of Mizuno mx model irons depending on your price range.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I went from Nike Slingshot OSS's to Titleist AP1s when I was in your situation - it only took me about 3 months to start hitting them right ;)

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Adams A2/3/7, non-OS version (game improvement but not SGI shovels). They won't penalize too bad for off the sweet spot and will let you work the ball a bit and get some feedback. For the price of a regular set you get 2 or 3 high-end hybrids with good shafts which are great for an improving high handicapper.

Got me from a 25ish to <15... great clubs but I've just about outgrown the regular shafts; I'm starting to balloon them and get wild with the hybrids and 5/6 iron.

Driver: Callaway X460 Tour
3 Wood: Callaway X
Hybrid: Adams A3
Irons: X20 Tour 4-PW
Wedges: X-Forged 50, 54 & 58

taylormade r7 irons, if you can find a set. there 2-3 years old now but they will fit like a glove according to how you described your swing.

In my r7 tour bag using my tp red balls,
i use

Driver:tour burner tp
3W:r7 tp5W:burner tp or titleist 906f22H:rescue dual tpAP2 3-PW DG30052*tour-wPutter:Button Back or newport beachI shoot a 74 on average

Id go with anything in the Mizuno MX line or Callaway Big Berthas. Ping G5s, G10s and G15s are nice too.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

What irons do you recommend for an improving high handicaper?

Mizuno MP32. You're welcome.

Seriously though, I like the MX line and Taylormades. I don't have any experience with the other brands people have mentioned. But I had a set of the original RAC OS and I was able to easily transition into the Forged TaylorMade RACs after a couple years and gaining some consistancy.

Driver: taylormade.gif Tour Burner 9.5*
4 Wood: taylormade.gif200 Steel 16*
Irons: taylormade.gif Burner '09
Wedges: taylormade.gif RAC TP Satin 54*, 58*
Putter: odyssey.gif White Hot Tour #9  Ball: bridgestone.gif B330

You should try Ping Gs, Callaway Xs, Taylor Made Rs. I bought the G10s when I was a 36, now I'm a 25.9. They really give me confidence over the ball, they are EASY to hit, and as I have improved, I can even work them a little. Have fun trying out sticks!

In my C-130 bag:

Driver: G10 10.5*
3 Wood: Burner
Irons: G10 steel AWT shafts, silver dot, +1" (3-SW)Wedge: cg12 58*Putters: Squareback 2, California Coronado Low score (18 holes): 90Low score (9 holes): 42

I went from no-name (I think Dunlop masquerading under some other name I can never remember) clubs to Mizuno MX-23 this year and I've been happy so far.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I've been very happy with my Nike Slingshot 4Ds. I hit them high and straight. Actually, I am surprised at how straight I hit them!

Driver: Titleist TSR1 12*

3 Wood: Titleist TSR1 15* @ 16.5*

4, 5, 6 Hybrid: Titleist TSR1 20*, 23*, 26*

Irons: Titleist T350 5-W2 23*-53*

Putter: Titleist SC Super Select Newport 2

I'd go with a set of MacGregor NVG2, M565s, or M455s.

Here's a set of M565s for an absolute steal
http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/macgre...LAID=418318351

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Id go with anything in the Mizuno MX line or Callaway Big Berthas. Ping G5s, G10s and G15s are nice too.

I would be cautious about the Big Berthas and the G10s. I tried them and both ballooned the ball too much. You are currently having trouble with too much height on irons, and this might be more of the same.

Callaway X20 and X22 clubs are possibilities. The stock Uniflex shafts fall on the line between regular and slightly stiff in flex. Also, don't forget that lightweight steel shafts come in regular flex; the lesser weight would give you a little extra clubhead speed. This is definitely the time to go with a computerized club-fitting from people who know what they're doing.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mizuno MP32. You're welcome.

MPs arent for a high-handicapper.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Note: This thread is 5243 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!