IGNORED

Playing Music

Seven Iron
Note: This thread is 4858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you want to play music to yourself when you are playing golf on your own, fine. If you put an MP3 player on when you were playing with other people, my guess is you'd soon find yourself with lots of music playing opportunities on the course. In other words, you'll be playing on your own all the time.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

If I'm by myself I will. I'll listen to Brian Wilson, Pink Floyd, maybe some Classical too. But talk radio? Unless it's sports radio, I'm certain it would ruin me. If it's politics then I'm shooting 120 guarenteed.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't swing comfortably with headphones in when I try it, so the only soundtrack on my rounds is that of my surroundings. I'm not against the idea; it just impedes on my game physically.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I like listening to my iPod when I'm working on the range, practicing short game stuff, playing a round by myself, and most importantly while getting ready for a competitive round.

I need to hear some Kurupt or Snoop Dogg or similar gangsta sh!t to get my mind right before I tee off in a tournament round. I want to be thinking bout going to WAR when I head out. Otherwise I'll listen to whatever comes on shuffle

I never listen to music when golfing, whether its on the range or on the course. I have seen guys bring boomboxes to scrambles!

Well that's just downright annoying....I hate when peeps do that. I prefer that if you listen to music without others consent it should be only hearable by you. I would have aimed for the boombox...or maybe them...I'm not sure.

2004 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion
2005 Northern Iowa Player Of The Year
2006 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion
2007 Iowa Co-Ed Golf State Champion
2007 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion2008 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion2009 College Division Iowa Junior Tour...

see it's opposite for me. I love listening to Disturbed or AC/DC or In Flames while hitting on the range.

One it's super high energy so it gets me excited about playing and 2 I can't be lazy about my tempo. With humans tendency to mold to their environment, i have to focus on keeping my tempo while listening to very fast or agressive music.

Works really well for me.

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

I am closer to 40 than 30, so not really the MP3 demo, but I do listen to tunes when I run and when I play winter golf on my own.

I am that guy that will go play golf even when the it pouring rain and crap weather - if I have the time booked off for golf and course is still open - I golf. It often means that I am on the course by myself (not just playing on my own but the only one out there at all). On days like that I bundle up, and plug in the MP3 player. I listen to all kinds of music but on an ugly day like that I tend to go for faster stuff.

With other players, I would never dream of plugging in toons, and I have also never done it on a solo summer round as I love the sounds around me. I just do it to brighten up an ugly weather day.

For the record I tend to play the same with or with out music
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

• 11 months later...
I definitely do, almost all the time, but rarely when I'm not golfing. When I practice putting, chipping, when on the range, when playing by myself or with my brother-in-law, who is the only person I play with outside of the occasional guy who wants to join up. The only time I don't is if I get paired with some random guy I've never met.

If I'm riding, I stick my iPhone in the cup holder and set the pandora app on and let it play. If I'm walking I'm usually in scrubs and just stick it in my butt pocket.

I honestly don't see how you could call music a distraction, unless you're really bad at focusing.... The only thing that can distract me on the course is maybe a jet flying overhead at supersonic speeds, or my wife calling :)

As was said earlier in the thread (a year or so ago, I think!) , I listen to music virtually all day every day, except on the golf course. I think there's a time and place for everything, and IMO the course just isn't the place for it. I'm usually out there with friends and I enjoy our conversation, banter and trash talk too much to shut myself off to it.

I also mute my cell phone and toss it in my bag. I don't want the distraction and I think it's rude to everybody else in the foursome to have a phone ringing during a round. I'll check it from time to time when I have a free moment to see if there are any emergency calls, but other than that I'll call them back later...I'm busy!

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

I like music and noise, and I usually have it on during work and studying time. Golf is sort of my getaway from society and just enjoy the outdoors. It's usually a nice change from my daily routines. So no, I don't listen to music while on the course, or the range for that matter.

The first time I ever listened to music on the golf course I shot a 79....I am a decent player but the music helped me keep my tempo and kept my mind off golf.....yeah Im a headcase..... I now have a small speaker that I plug into my iphone and I pop on the pandora app and start off on my round. It works great for me.

Driver: R5 XL with Fujikira Stiff Shaft
3Wood: T60 Ignite
Irons: 735 CM with S300 Shafts
56 Degree: Carnoustie Black
60 Degree: Carnoustie BlackPutter: 34" Mini T White IceBall: : WhateverShoes: Icon Snake SkinGolf is the only sport where they encourage drug use and its not illegal,...

I don't like music while I play, it is a social game. I don't like it when I hit balls either. But on the putting green, practicing? Love it. Eliminating the sound of the "hit" forces you to concentrate on the feedback from the putter, through the shaft, and into your hands. Depending on what type of putter you have (mine is a carbon steel Cameron with feel off the charts) you can feel if you miss the sweet spot by the tiniest amount. Have you ever "felt" a pushed putt at impact instead of just seeing it after it rolls out and misses right, then declaring it a push?

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

• 4 weeks later...
I listen to Pandora on my phone. And I usually listen to gangster rap while i am on the course. I feel like I play better when I have music on.

Titleist 913 D3
Taylormade RBZ 3 Wood

Taylormade RBZ 3 Hybrid

Taylormade RBZ 4 Hybrid

MIzuno MP52 5-PW

MIzuno 52* MP-T10 Wedge

Mizuno 56* R Series Wedge

Mizuno 60* R Series Wedge
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

New favourite song:

Illy-Cigarettes.
Gotta love the aussie hiphop. I tend to find it more creative than a lot of american rap/hip hop.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

It's not the music, but the fact that you have an earphone that would bother me. Especially having the wire hanging down would be bothersome.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 4858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!