IGNORED

Hit by a Golf Ball?

Golf_Gal
Note: This thread is 1776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

the first thread asked why we yell fore!. I think when people used to play with forecaddies (they would be in the fairway ready to find your ball for your next shot) if the shot was heading toward their forecaddie they would warn them by yelling "fore!".

Driver: Taylormade R7
Wood: taylormade burner 3 wood
Hybrids: Jack Nicklaus 3 hybrid
Irons: Taylormade R9 TP 3-pw
Wedges: Taylormade r9 56* & Titliest Vokey 60* Putter: Odyssey WhiteHot XG #7 Ball: Nike one platinum & Bridgestone E6

the first thread asked why we yell fore!. I think when people used to play with forecaddies (they would be in the fairway ready to find your ball for your next shot) if the shot was heading toward their forecaddie they would warn them by yelling "fore!".

It seems that it is not completely clear what is the origin of this cry: http://www.ruleshistory.com/misc.html.

A friend and I were playing a short course here in Memphis and there was a small creek that had a brick bridge over it. I don't remember the club but my friend hit a low liner that hit the bridge and came right back at him and

Which part of a human body is 'junk'? Could not find it in any dictionary.

Thinking the group in font were out of range I hit my drive,caught it right out of the middle and sent it into orbit!.A guy comes storming back down the fairway all of a rage .As he nears us he shouts "You nearly hit my wife there"
My playing partner retorts "Tell her to stand still then and he'll have another go"

I'll get my coat

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

I was playing on a course on Fort Bragg last week, when "To The Colors" started playing. That's the song they play when they're taking down the American flag at the end of the day. Military tradition says that no matter what you're doing, or where you are, if you can hear the music, you stop and salute, or put your hand over your heart while they take the flag down. Playing with a group who everyone was retired Military, and all were combat Veterans, we always observe this tradition. We were in the center of our fairway, facing the flag while it was taken down, and a group of young Soldiers hit a crazy 2nd shot (while they were supposed to be saluting) and caught me in the back. I'm actually glad it was me, because I was playing with 2 Vietnam vets, and if it would have caught one of them, it would have done serious damage.

Needless to say, when they came over to get their ball, they didn't even apologize, but I had the ball in my hand, and my 2 Vietnam Vet buddies went off on them (Retired high ranking). Not for the errant golf shot, that happens, but for playing while they were taking the flag down for the day. After these 2 old men were done with these kids, they had forgotten all about the golfball that I was holding and just wanted to get away.

Count me in amongst those who NEVER stands in front of someone. I used to caddy and had my fair share of close calls... but the closest came last summer when I had my 9 year old son out on the course with me. It's a short executive course and we were enjoying a late afternoon round. We were on the 5th tee, which is directly to the left of the 3rd fairway. My son was standing near the cart and I was on the tee box preparing to hit my shot when a ball came absolutely steaming through the trees and landed between my legs at my feet before banging off a stone wall and then nearly taking off my sons head. He saw it just in time and ducked... it hit the inside roof of the cart and ended up dead-center of the tee box. No 'fore'... no words of warning of any kind. The guy comes over and asks if we've seen his ball... not a word of worry for if it hit either of us. I went off on him. If it'd hit me... whatever... but if it had hit my son... this guy would have been crapping golf balls for a year. He stammered an "I'm sorry... didn't think anyone was over here" and then proceeded to line up his next shot... through the trees. I told him to let us clear the tee box first so we were a safe distance away and he got ticked off because... "There are two of you to hit and only one of me!" I was pissed... but my son, when we got home, thought it was pretty cool... my wife, on the other hand... didn't think it was cool at all.

The only other time I've seen something like that was when I was a junior in high school. Our golf team was out for a practice round and my buddy and I always got paired up for practice rounds. We're on the first tee and I hit a pretty good shot... my buddy, on the other hand, skulled his tee shot. There are two creeks crossing the first hole... one at about 50 yards... another at about 240 yards. His ball barely cleared the first creek, but then rolled out and left him about 170 to clear the second creek and about 220 to the green. He pulled a 3 wood and caught it solidly RIGHT at the equator of the ball... sending a worm burner right towards the creek. Being fairly early in the year... a LOT of geese were on the course. The ball was screaming at about 18 inches high off the ground and caught a goose square in the head. It's neck twisted and spun and the thing dropped to the ground, dead as a doorknob. It was HORRIBLE to see it happen... something I'll never forget. Worst part was that we had to call the clubhouse and tell them there was a dead goose on the first fairway and how it happened. Since we were high school kids... there were questions about if it was intentional, etc.

Golf balls are dangerous objects. It's a big fear of mine to be caught with one in a bad spot... or to hit someone with one. I always object when someone stands even 3 yards in front of me. I'm a 23 handicap... I don't HAVE 100% control of where my ball is going at all times... if I shank one... I can't guarantee your safety, so take six steps back and keep yourself safe!

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was hit yesterday. Sitting in cart in the middle of the fairway about 50 yards out. Adjacent tee (pointed 70 degrees to my right) a guy hits a shank line drive. Sorta yells fore (I did not see him swing and when I heard the half hearted fore I looked up just in time for the ball to hit the seat in the cart to my right and ricochet into my thigh) When I heard the fore I figured it was for someone more in line with his shot. Not for me with a line drive heading right at me.

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

A few years back, we had 2 foursomes play the "Devl's Course", Blackhead Mtn in Round Top NY. I was just before the turn on 17th hole, leaning in the golf cart getting a new ball, when I actually saw stars, and had blood gushing out of my nose. One my buddies, in the foursome after us teed off. He didn't see us and I was off the fairway. His drive went errant, THROUGH the back of the cart into my nose. He was devastated. Thankfully it wasn't the broken nose to give my blackeyes, etc. He just devated my septum. After that I am very paranoid when somene yells fore. He did too. Know what, my wife(at the time, ex now) loved him. I don't snore much anymore after that Sunday. ; )

I have never been it . But I have had some close calls. I was walking through a tree line about 10 feet behind my playing partner we hear a rustling in the branches above and a ball hits him right in the shoulder. It was a kid behind us who didn't even yell....

R7 CGB Max Driver 10.5*
Big Bertha Diablo FW 18*
Burner Plus Irons 4-PW, SW
X Tour Forged 50*
60* VP109 Putter

Been on both ends:

Got hit square in the nuts when waiting to tee off by a line dive (1st tee somewhat close to the 9th green and someone hit a wild fairway wood); no "fore"; i definitely thought i was going to die (or never have kids); i didn't die, and now have 2 healthy boys, so i'm lucky i think.

I also hit a playing parter standing 30 feet away from me--almost laterally--when i tried a big greenside flop shot and hit a sideways shank instead--split his forehead above the eye and he needed stitches. I did yell "watch out!" and he turned to face the ball--i think if i didn't say anything he would have been hit in the side of the head instead with a less visible scar. (Send him a gift box of customized Pro-V1x's afterward though).

Needless to say, I ALWAYS try to pay attention to my playing partners, even good ones, or even greenside on chips!

Driver: Cleveland Classic 270, 10.5*
Fairway Woods: Adams Speedline LP (3 & 5)
Hybrids: Wilson Staff Fybrids 21*, 24*, UST V2 stiff
Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour, 5-PW, Rifle Project-X (flighted) 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland CG15 DSG 52* & 58* +/- 56* Niblick

Putter: Yes! Amy

I have had one real bad...one not so bad and one "almost" hit. The bad one was when I was in 7th grade and the first day of tryouts for the golf team. In junior high you play from the woman's tees. About 20 of us total on the 1st tee. Hole #1 and #10 run very close to each other with the #1 Woman's tee being about 75 - 100 yards in front of the men's #10. This is on the old Purdue North course in West Lafayette before Pete Dye came in and did a overhaul. Well this guy tees off on #10 and hit a very bad ow skull push. It hits me right above my left ear. The ball was screaming. It knocks me cold. I remember waking up to me getting loaded into the ambulance right on the course and onto the ER. Spent three weeks in the hospital with swelling on the brain. Had amnesia quite a bit. Not towards people but towards things that I could not remember the name of. Like a glass of water or crackers and such. Took me 8 months to fully recover. I still have a small lump and headaches at times from it. The worst part...they guy that hit it grabbed his clubs, ran to his car and drove off. My parents going through a divorce at the time did not take legal action towards the guy or course. I still to this day to not know who he is...but believe in Karma and know he will get his.

Second time I was playing in a high school match and standing in the middle of our fairway with my back towards the green. Guy from the adjacent hole slices a tee shot and it hits me on my left elbow. Hurt like H**L. Finished the round though with a bag of ice.

Third...the "almost" hit. In college I used to mow fairways for a local country club. I know almost all of the members and their games. This group of four guys used to play every morning and they had HUGE attitudes. They used to get "offended" when they say the staff on the course. Am I supposed to mow the fairways at night with no lights. Well these guys are not all that good. I am about 200 yards down the fairways going towards them...a safe distance for this guys capabilities. They wave me on, so I head forward figuring they would want to me pass so I am not distracting them . I get to about 60 yards from them and the guy hits a screaming diving hook heading right for my manhood . It happened so fast I had no where to go or move. Luckily it clips the steering wheel shaft and misses it. Ball bounce down in a pong. The guy has the gaul to come over and read me the riot act about how I was in the way. So...I cranked up the engine, picked up the cutting gangs and headed into the shop where I quite. I was heading back to school in a week anyway and after four years of that kind of treatment I had enough.

titleist.gif Titleist 910 D3 - Project X 6.0 7C3 Shaft  |  adams.gif Adams XTD Super Hybrid - 15 degrees  
adams.gif Adams Idea Pro A12 Hybrid - 18 degrees 
Adams CB2 - KBS Tour Shafts - 4 - PW
vokey.gif Vokey 54.10 Oil Can  |  vokey.gif Vokey 60.07 Oil Can  |  rife.gif Rife Trinidad - SuperStroke

I hit somebody while practicing wedge shots on the range. I was trying a high shot, ya know open face wide stance etc. Well the ball did go up....way up. It cleared the protective netting on the range and came down right on a guy's head that was on the practice green. I felt like an inch tall. He was ok, and of course I apologized. He ended up playing in the group ahead of me so I was sure not to do it again!!! Also, I felt so bad that at the turn they were done for the day and before i went to the 10th, I bought him lunch and apologized again.
REZGOLF

Currently in the bag-

R7 460 9.5 stiffV-steel 3 wood stiff/V-steel 5 wood stiff/2 iron hybrid reg.R.A.C OS2 irons reg.52, 56, & 60 deg. regularScotty Cameron Studio Design Newport II

I've been hit before, i was out at the local 9 hole course, and i was on the tee box which was raised by at least 30 feet above the fairway below and out of nowhere and with no warning, not even a "FORE" i got smacked right in the chin. Gotta admit that was painful. And then they come to get their ball and not a word, just "did you see my ball?" i couldnt believe it. But i guess you hit those shots when you cant put the beer can down to hit. They played the whole round behind us and i never saw the beer can on the ground.

I've got a good one for you guys. Not directly related, but results are the same. About 2 years ago, I was playing a foursome with friends. A buddy of mine was playing because his wife was into golf and he's the type that has to accompany his wife everywhere. So you could clearly call him the hacker type - wild swings, too much strength, bad form, etc. We were on the fairway of a hole and he was setting up for his second shot. The shot had to carry over a creek and go uphill towards the green.

He sets up and then unleashes a mighty swing. Not only does the shot go askew, but down he goes, spread eagled on the fairway. Now he has a terrible temper and is one of those guys that has to be perfect in everything that he does, so the fact that he is not good at golf leads to many tantrums. So we walk over thinking this is just another tantrum and ask him why all the theatrics when he gets up. He looks at us and asks us what are we talking about. We look at him weird and tell him that he flopped after the shot. He has no idea what we are talking about.

Turns out that my buddy managed to crack himself on the forehead on his follow through with the iron shaft of the club. So he had knocked himself out for about 2 seconds on that swing. It was hilarious, something that we'll always remember forever.

In my Ogio Grom XX Stand Bag:

Taylormade JetSpeed Driver (10.5°)

Taylormade JetSpeed Fairway 3 Wood (17°)

Taylormade SpeedBlade 3H, 4H Hybrids (19°, 22°)

Taylormade SpeedBlade Steel Irons 5-PW

Taylormade SpeedBlade Wedges AW,SW,LW (50°, 55°, 60°)

Odyssey Versa 330M Putter

Turns out that my buddy managed to crack himself on the forehead on his follow through with the iron shaft of the club. So he had knocked himself out for about 2 seconds on that swing. It was hilarious, something that we'll always remember forever.

That story ended up in a place that I never thought it would go.... classic. Can't say I've ever heard of that happening before.

A buddy of mine was playing because his wife was into golf and he's the type that has to accompany his wife everywhere.

A kind of guy like that deserves it.

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

That story ended up in a place that I never thought it would go.... classic. Can't say I've ever heard of that happening before.

He had a huge bump the size of....wait for it....wait for it....a golf ball on his forehead after that incident.

In my Ogio Grom XX Stand Bag:

Taylormade JetSpeed Driver (10.5°)

Taylormade JetSpeed Fairway 3 Wood (17°)

Taylormade SpeedBlade 3H, 4H Hybrids (19°, 22°)

Taylormade SpeedBlade Steel Irons 5-PW

Taylormade SpeedBlade Wedges AW,SW,LW (50°, 55°, 60°)

Odyssey Versa 330M Putter

I took one right in the face a couple years ago. Playing at a really crappy 9-hole course with a beginner buddy. Luckily enough, it wasn't a totally direct hit. It grazed my cheekbone, left quite a scrap but wasn't a direct hit. One of those 'an inch higher and I might be wearin' an eye patch or something' situations. Of course, no "fore!" and not even a "sorry". Only one group behind us as it was the end of the day. They didn't even have the Titleists to fess up and admit it. It could have gotten ugly but I/we took the high road and moved on....

With that said, I hit someone once. Total accident. Hit a HUGE hook (yelled fore!) over a hill to an entirely different hole/green. Hit this really nice lady while she was on the green. Hit her in the leg. I felt soooooo bad. I apologized over and over. She was hurtin' but was so cool and understanding. Some situations are just totally innocent accidents.

Driver - 983K 9.5* w/ YS-6 stiff shaft
3-Wood - 980F 15* w/ Titleist 4375 stiff shaft
5-Wood - 980F 18* w/ Titleist 4375 stiff shaft
Irons - X-20's - 4-PW
Wedges - 52*, 56*, 60* Putter - Black Series i 1 - Ball - B330rx

I have never been hit. Have come close. Last year we had a group of 12 and when my buddies were about 250 - 300 yards out we said go on hit you can't reach. As my friend hit his best shot of the day we see it heading to our other friends, but think it's going to land short. Then in his backswing he goes down like he was shot.

At first we just thought he was kidding, but he was on the ground for a while. We drove up to see him and he had a big knot on his hip, just above his belt. Good thing we knew him, and he had 10 or so beers in him by then.

Kevin

Note: This thread is 1776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!