IGNORED

Kenny Perry Breaks Rule (or not) Twice at Shark Shootout

iacas
Note: This thread is 5238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I wonder if "Perry Homes" was a sponsor?

Why the hell are professionals playing a scramble?

I played in a 9 hole scramble this year, 2-man, we shot 31. We're both hacks.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

The rule about standing behind a players line during the stroke was lifted for the scramble format. This was mentioned SEVERAL times during the broadcast.

In My University of Kentucky Bag:

R9 460
R9 T3
TP Rescue 17, 21 degree R7 TP 3-PW W/ Project X 6.0 Rac Z TP Wedges 50, 54, 58 Rife Two Bar Hybrid Mallet TP Black Pro V1

• Administrator
The rule about standing behind a players line during the stroke was lifted for the scramble format. This was mentioned SEVERAL times during the broadcast.

I didn't watch the broadcast. Just managed to watch the first few minutes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Source: Decision 14-2/4 Caddie Inadvertently Stands on Extension of Line of Play Behind Ball A. No. The purpose of Rule 14-2b is to prohibit a caddie from positioning himself behind the player while the player makes a stroke in order to advise the player on alignment or otherwise assist him.

I agree with this rule even though I didn't know the rule. Kenny's team should be disqualified for the act.

Anyway, I am seeing a lot of caddies (LPGA mostly) stand right behind of player's ball at address. To make sure if he/she align it correctly or not. Would it be the illegal action for the intention of standing behind of the ball to make sure their players are aligned? What if a caddie informs his/her player that the player was aligned little left on last hole? Because we can not possible know all the conversation they could have during the round.. just a thought. I believe that a caddy should be just a "human cart" with loaded information on the course. Caddy should not be suggest or inform what players is doing and should do. Some say a tour caddy is a mental advisor when it is needed. If then, what is difference with playing alone and scramble (4 ball type)? Is it like ..Yeah I will be there when you need me.. so give me 5% or 10% of your prize? LAME. .

Golf: Agony & Love over 3 Generations

• Administrator
Kenny's team should be disqualified for the act.

Well it seems they waived the rule for the event. So... pffft....

Anyway, I am seeing a lot of caddies (LPGA mostly) stand right behind of player's ball at address. To make sure if he/she align it correctly or not.

They move out before the player makes a swing.

Would it be the illegal action for the intention of standing behind of the ball to make sure their players are aligned? What if a caddie informs his/her player that the player was aligned little left on last hole? Because we can not possible know all the conversation they could have during the round.. just a thought.

I don't know what you're saying. The caddie standing behind the player can say whatever they want RIGHT THEN so long as they move out before the stroke is actually made. They don't have to wait until the next hole.

As for what a caddie should be, I think they're fine as they are currently.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I actually went there yesterday (Sunday) with some tickets that were given to me by my cousin. The funny thing is is that I walked right in there I never had to show anyone my tickets. Anyway, me and my brother followed Tim Clarkes group for a while. We saw him first hand make his hole in one. We were standing right next to him on the tee box. Then we went back and watched J.B Holmes' group, where he drove it on the green on the 370 yard par 4.......oh....my...god.......

I don't think I ever saw Kenny make this....I wasn't there for the whole thing. But it is pretty obvious that he broke the rule.....good job iacas

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

I heard one of the commentators say that it was allowed during the scramble format. But I can't comment on whether or not this exception is valid according to tour rules.

Announcer said that players had been informed that this would be allowed as a local rule for this tournament only. Other players were doing the same thing. I assume as a made for TV event they were allowing anything they could think of to get thel lowest scores.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I watched just a bit of that. JB can kill the ball that is for sure.

As far as the rules, I saw stricker do the same thing. I think if anything that would just be a distraction.

Brian

I've never played in a scramble format where you couldn't stand behind your playing partners putt. Of course we are not playing for much either. It's just accepted.

I also noticed one player(forgot who) who instead of marking the ball to line up his ball before tapping it in, just moved it with the putter head. So it was pretty obvious they were lax on the rules like most weekend scrambles.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

I really don't understand Kenny Perry's popularity. Two big rule problems in a year should make him an outcast on the PGA Tour.

I understand people rooting for, say, football teams that aren't known for having the same interpretation of the rules as other teams (to say it nicely). The responsibility of a player/coach in football is to move the ball into one end-zone and/or prohibit the opposition from doing the reflection of that. The job as referee is left to someone else.

But in golf, you're the referee. If Bill Belichick can get away with something in football, more power to him. I don't feel the same way about Kenny Perry and the golf course.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I really don't understand Kenny Perry's popularity. Two big rule problems in a year should make him an outcast on the PGA Tour.

I don't feel that way about other sports. I feel it should still be the responsibility of each player and each coach to play according to the rules. I think it's fine to play to the limit of the rules, and understandably if you do that, you'll sometimes end up breaking them; that's fine. But it bothers me when a player intentionally breaks a rule because he thinks he can get away with it.

But, I guess the consensus here is that since a scramble isn't played by the rules of golf to start with, they're free to waive any of the rules, and they waived that one. I think it's a bit silly, but like I said, if you have the option to watch the putt you're about to attempt, and you're allowed to do so by the rules in force that day, I'm not going to fault you for doing it.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

the only ones hard up on the rules are want-to-be pros that think they are better than they really are. It's a feak'en scramble. Who the F cares if someone stands behind the line to see the line? It does not matter. Get a life and have a good time playing the game for what it is... a game.

In a scramble, you can move the ball one club length, no closer to the hole through the green, and you mark the ball, but don't have to put it down exactly where the coin is on the green.. you get some slack. AND....YOU CAN ALWAYS STAND BEHIND YOUR PARTNER TO SEE THE LINE OF THE PUTT. It's been that way forever. If you are pissed off about it, don't play scrambles. If you are above moving your ball, don't play scrambles. I don't care how far you move your ball, just putt the damn thing out.. no gimmies.... and I guarantee it will be a fair game.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

A little OT, but this thread is spiraling anyway. Can someone tell me what advantage a player would get from their caddy or partner standing on the line of the putt away from the hole? It seems like a silly rule to me. I can see it being an advantage for a scramble if the partner might be attempting that same putt, but otherwise I think it would be as someone else said, a distraction.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

the only ones hard up on the rules are want-to-be pros that think they are better than they really are. It's a feak'en scramble. Who the F cares if someone stands behind the line to see the line? It does not matter. Get a life and have a good time playing the game for what it is... a game.

Grow up.

A little OT, but this thread is spiraling anyway. Can someone tell me what advantage a player would get from their caddy or partner standing on the line of the putt away from the hole? It seems like a silly rule to me. I can see it being an advantage for a scramble if the partner might be attempting that same putt, but otherwise I think it would be as someone else said, a distraction.

I dunno, if you ignore the last post and a half I wouldn't say it's been spiraling. The two things I can think of that would be a problem would be serving as a point of reference to mark the line-- with practice I'd imagine you could probably learn to align your backswing with a reference behind you, and that'd assist in the forward swing as well. Second, and this is a bit of a stretch, but he'd have a much clearer view of whether the takeaway was off line and could indicate to the player making the stroke that he should probably abandon the stroke and start over.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

In a scramble, you can move the ball one club length, no closer to the hole through the green, and you mark the ball, but don't have to put it down exactly where the coin is on the green.. you get some slack. AND....YOU CAN ALWAYS STAND BEHIND YOUR PARTNER TO SEE THE LINE OF THE PUTT.

I wonder where these 'privileges' are described? I guess it has been like that always at

Your club? Scramble is certainly only for sheer fun, not to be taken too seriously. However, in my country in scramble competitions we get separate 'rules' before we tee off. There it is described how and where the balls are to be dropped etc., i.e. things that are not according to the actual RoG. All other RoG are still in force in our competitions.

It was interesting to note that they waived the rule to allow a player to stand behind his partner but Holme's caddy still had to jump out of the way after lining him up.

Note: This thread is 5238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!