IGNORED

Tiger Woods voted Associated Press' top athlete of decade

Zeph
Note: This thread is 5229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger Woods (FSY) was selected Wednesday as Athlete of the Decade by U.S. sports editors, a result that reflects 10 years of greatness on the golf course rather than three weeks of headlines about a shocking sex scandal. Woods received 56 of the 142 votes cast by Associated Press member newspaper editors since last month. Lance Armstrong, a cancer survivor who won the Tour de France six times this decade, finished second with 33 votes. He was followed by Swiss tennis great Roger Federer, who won more Grand Slam singles titles than any other man, with 25 votes.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/...f-decade_N.htm Some positive news on Tiger, at last. It's a good thing this was voted on before the recent events took place. The last three weeks' charade does not affect his accomplishments the last 10 years.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Some positive news on Tiger, at last. It's a good thing this was voted on before the recent events took place. The last three weeks' charade does not affect his accomplishments the last 10 years.

The part you quoted doesn't indicate that to be the case. It says that in spite of the last three weeks he still won, basically.

It says they've been voting for the past month. It isn't clear when voting closed (though I'd imagine it wouldn't have been quite as recently as yesterday). Lance Armstrong was the only other possible candidate in my mind, but I'm still not certain he's as clean as we'd like to think either.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

He definitely deserved it. I can't think of anyone who had as much of a right to it as he did.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

He definitely deserved it. I can't think of anyone who had as much of a right to it as he did.

Exactly what I was going to say.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

Even with Tiger's recent events, it shouldn't deteriorate what he has done as an athlete. He really has been, in my opinion, the most dominating athlete since he's been part of the game of golf.

Grom Stand Bag
2009 Burner Driver 10.5*
2009 Burner Fairway Wood 15*
A7 3H, 4H 5-PW
Affinity 56* SW CG15 60* White Hot XG 330 Mallet Putter Z Star Yellow Balls

I would have voted for Federer over either Tiger or Lance Armstrong. I could say, "maybe that's just me", but 25 other voters agree.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

while many people may be more athletic than woods -- although he and many other pro golfers are in good shape -- the title "athlete" in this sense simply means anybody that plays a sport professionally (including NASCAR).

woods' decade - 64 total wins, 12 major championships:

2000- won the US Open, British Open, and PGA Championship
2001- won the Masters (thus he had won all 4 major championships consecutively)
2002- won the Masters (only the 3rd golfer ever to win it back-to-back), won the US Open
2003- no majors
2004- no majors
2005- won the Masters and the British Open
2006- his father died and he took some time off... came back and won the British Open again, and won the PGA Championship
2007- won the PGA Championship again
2008- won the US Open on a torn-up knee and surgery ended his season just afterwards
2009- coming back from injury, he didn't win any majors, but he won 6 tournaments and the FedEx Cup, and went 5-0 in the Presidents' Cup

There aren't too many other athletes who have sustained anywhere close to this amount of success over these 10 years. Winning 12 majors would be good enough for 2nd all time behind Jack Nicklaus' 18. Woods had won 2 major championships in the 90s so he has 14 for his career.

He obviously is having some off-the-course problems right now, but that is irrelevant to his play on the course. He likely will go down as the greatest golfer of all time, as long as he catches Nicklaus. Woods will be 34 at the end of this month. Golfers have typically been successful into their early to mid 40s. Several golfers have sustained success until the age of 48-50. Tom Watson almost won the British Open this year at age 59. Considering Tiger and most golfers keep themselves in better shape nowadays, who knows how long Tiger will play at a high level.

It's hard to argue w/ his success from 2000-09. Other athletes have done well, but not that well.

MachSpeed STR8-FIT

AP1 4-W

Spin Milled 60Two Ball

just want to bring up one condition, that golf is a sport that can be played competitively much longer than some other sports. having said that, tiger is a one in a million year phenom that cannot be measured by years, let alone 10 years.

I have absolutely no problem with the voting results. The only thing the last three weeks has done is make the vote closer.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Lance Armstrong was the only other possible candidate in my mind, but I'm still not certain he's as clean as we'd like to think either.

I think Federer and Schumacher might have been other candidates?

To be clear, I'd have voted for Tiger for this award too. I'm just brainstorming who else might have been a candidate.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I think Federer and Schumacher might have been other candidates?

I believe ESPN had reported Michael Phelps, Tom Brady, and Usain Bolt were also candidates for the award.

Grom Stand Bag
2009 Burner Driver 10.5*
2009 Burner Fairway Wood 15*
A7 3H, 4H 5-PW
Affinity 56* SW CG15 60* White Hot XG 330 Mallet Putter Z Star Yellow Balls

tiger is a one in a million year phenom that cannot be measured by years, let alone 10 years.

Well, I think he's more like one or two in a 50-years or so phenom.. it hasn't been THAT long since Nicklaus.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Yawn. Athlete of the Decade and someone like Yelena Isinbayeva isn't a candidate? I think that says everything about the actual value of this.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

I believe ESPN had reported Michael Phelps, Tom Brady, and Usain Bolt were also candidates for the award.

Who is Usain Bolt? No other athlete has dominated or made a impact on his/her sport like Woods. Personal life is just that personal...you can't deny his global impact and accomplishments in "golf".

Note: This thread is 5229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!