IGNORED

Fitting Nightmare

Note: This thread is 5223 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok, so let me start by explaining my little problem. I'm going back to college, so be warned I'm pretty broke.

I recently met someone on the range who had just purchased some new Ping S59 irons, and they just happened to be exactly to my fitting specs... I tried them, and instantly I realized I was leaving strokes on the table due to improper fit. The next day, I went to the local golf shop, and talked to the fitter. He checked me, and was blown away that I could even hit my current irons, let alone as well as I do.

They were 4° flatter than my swing plane.

Then the problem, my irons cannot be bent. They are Adams Tight Lies TL10, from about 2006-2007, right before the Idea came around I guess. They are 431 stainless, with a ton of bounce and a fairly deep cavity. I asked him if he could at least try, and he did, but was unable to make any progress, and worried about breaking them.

These were the recommendations:

Don't play game improvement irons (blades would be ok with me, but to be honest, I'd like a little forgiveness). GI irons "correct" my attempts to work the ball, and merely cause distance problems. He was adamant that GI irons were not good for me. He showed me some MP-57s and said they were about the perfect iron to fit my game.

I need S or X shafts (driver SS is around 115, 7 iron carry distance is about 170 yards), but I personally prefer S over X, and I like stepless, but that's not that important. R shafts are not a deal breaker, but they are not preferred.

I should get forged irons, others may not bend the full 3-4°. I need to make sure they can be bent, as they had some Cleveland forged irons that could not be bent.

So, I'm stuck with a budget of about $100, maybe a touch more, and I need to get some proper irons. I need forged or 3-4° upright. I had some thoughts, but I'd really like some opinions...

I'm thinking about buying some Hogan or Wilson forged irons. I have found quite a few for around $80. I'd like to keep it under $200 at any rate, I can change grips too, that's no big deal. I like long irons far better than woods, and don't have a good 5 wood, so a 2 iron would be a major plus. In any case, 3-PW is the least I need.

I would say good luck on a $100 budget....Stick in the $200 range and look for some pings with the correct color code used.... why pay to have them bent when you can buy them done already? Also, the bent clubs seem to sell a bit cheaper than standard clubs. Good Luck.

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

Yep I was just gonna say the same thing. What color code were the pings? I'd just buy that color code and be done with it. The I series pings would be perfect for you. Great mix of players / gi irons.

Good luck to ya!

Jim

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

So you are hitting your current irons pretty well, but are now convinced it is imperative that you buy forged/fitted irons? I'm not doubting that properly fit irons would benefit you, but why the urgency? I'd just hate to see you buy some inexpensive used forged irons and not see any results. Save some money and get fitted for decent clubs, IMO. Not trying to be critical, as I can be pretty impulsive myself about golf equipment.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Adams Idea Tech hybrid 19*
Titleist DCI 981 irons
Ping iwedge 56*, 52*Carbite Putter

Best prices (from reliable sources) on quality new forged irons I've seen.

Maxfli A10s. These are sweet looking http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...i_sku=12325138

No six iron on these new Nike pro Combos http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Dal...6.5%20(No%206i ) and http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Dal...LAID=440509284

Nickent pro forged http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/nicken...set-steel.html

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Don't know how much they can be bent, but Macgregor forged irons can be had for a song. I got my 1025CMs with S300/sensicore/new grips for $68, which was a ridiculous deal but have seen others for $100-120. Oh, and they rock.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

I would look seriously on Ebay for some Ben Hogan forged irons. Look for Apex, Apex Plus, Apex 2, Apex Edge Pro, or whatever tickles you. You can find some really nice sets for under a hundred bucks. They are soft as all get out, and can be bent up as much as you will need. They also look and feel great.

I just picked up a set of Apex Plus just to goof around with for less than $70, and am eagerly awaiting their arrival at my house. The pictures had them looking like they were in plenty good enough shape to play for several more seasons.

In my Costco stand bag:

Tech A4 9015D 10.5 w/stock stiff Matrix Ozik
F60 16.5 4 wood w/stock stiff Exsar
Pro Gold 18* and 23* hybrids w/ Matrix Ozik reg J36 PC 5-PW Project-X Rifle flighted 5.0 CG14 52*, 56*, and 60* standard bounce Island Series Antigua AD333

Those Nickents are pretty sick! Along with those MP 30's...

Damn some nice deals out there, wish I had more money to spend on clubs!

Jim

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

Again, those Nickents are 180 + 17 shipping and then you have to pay to have them bent..... Go with the Pings save yourself more time more the course

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

"more time for the course"

I must admit, I am not a huge fan of Ping, and really would like some forged irons. I have no problem with older ones, the modern technology doesn't do anything for me, I hit my father's old Acushnets just as well as my Tommy Armours, and those just as well as my Adams.

The thing is, I am leaving shots on the table without fitted clubs. I know I am. Everyone is always telling me how I need fitted clubs, and I didn't realize it till I tried some fitted clubs. Most of the deals pointed to here are actually quite reasonable. I'm not a fan of Nickent, I've never really hit one of their clubs and liked it. Hogan I adore, and the Hogan clubs will be my first choice.

If you can find some Hogans, go for it, they're way underrated.

Also, R flex should be a deal breaker. If you can hit X, do don't want to hit R.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you can find some Hogans, go for it, they're way underrated.

I must admit (and note here, I

only play steel shafts in irons and wedges) that R flex steel aren't that bad. I kind of like to play the ball further back than most, and they help get it higher. In fact, this is why I prefer S to X in my irons (Graphite has to be X, even my Aldilla DVS-S in my 3 wood feels like a limp noodle, so I'm debating whether to have it replaced with steel, or tipped an inch). Hogans are my #1 choice right now, and they are SO underrated... But so are Srixons. I might keep my eyes open for them too.

Again, those Nickents are 180 + 17 shipping and then you have to pay to have them bent..... Go with the Pings save yourself more time more the course

i10'S for less than $200? LOL

I was thinking, the S59's .... Seen quite a few in the $200 range. Ebay of course, I actually go to the Chinese wholesale websites to see which clubs they are counterfeiting, so I know what is safe to buy on there.

Ok, so let me start by explaining my little problem. I'm going back to college, so be warned I'm pretty broke.

Just a quick question: Are you SURE that you were fit correctly? How tall are you... a 4* change in lie is pretty drastic and it's possible that it's more of a needed swing change rather than an equipment change. Unless you're 6'3 or taller, I wouldn't take that fitting seriously.

What kind of shot trajectory do you have now with your pings? Is Lie the only thing he recommended you customize, length maybe?
Taylormade R9 TP 9.5*w/ Diamana Kai'li 70 S (SST PURE)
Callaway FT 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black Hybrid 20* w/ Voodoo NV8 S
MP-68 3-PW irons w/ KBS Tour X-flex (softstepped 1x)
Cleveland CG-12 52.10Cleveland CG-15 DSG 56.08 Vokey Limited Edition 60-V w/ KBS black nickel S-FlexCircle T Beached Center Shaft...

Note: This thread is 5223 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!