IGNORED

Describe Your Putter Grip

iacas
Note: This thread is 4515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For anyone interested, the reason why Stan advocates keeping the grip in the lifelines is because it puts the shaft in lline with your forearms, which helps keep the club on plane. In the picture above, you can see that keeping the club in the fingers lets the shaft sit a little flatter than the arms plane.

gas_can,

So are you saying that ragontona's grip is a good or poor example? I'm slightly confused. I'm thinking that it is a good example...but may be wrong. Could you post a picture of your grip (the Utley grip)?

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

gas_can,

NCGolfer,

I can still do that if you'd like, however, this link is perfect: http://www.golfdigest.com/search/ind...ley_setup.html If Stan were giving ragontona a lesson, the first thing he would do is try to get him to hold the club in the palm and not hte fingers so the shaft runs right up his forearms instead of underneath. At least that was the first thing he did to my grip in our lesson.

If Stan were giving ragontona a lesson, the first thing he would do is try to get him to hold the club in the palm and not hte fingers so the shaft runs right up his forearms instead of underneath. At least that was the first thing he did to my grip in our lesson.

That seems like a subtle enough adjustment that I might give it a try next time out. It wouldn't be so different that it'd be uncomfortable.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

I use an interlocking grip for every thing. I do place the putter much more in my palms and it is weaker than with my full swing. I also have small hands. I wear ml cadet gloves. I also weaken my grip for chips.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

That seems like a subtle enough adjustment that I might give it a try next time out. It wouldn't be so different that it'd be uncomfortable.

Well, I tried it out today. Put the putter more in line with my lifelines, rather than my fingers.

It took some getting used to... 37 putts overall. I had 21 on the front nine, including four three-putts in the first six holes. (Luckily, my ball-striking saved me to salvage a 44 on the front). After the turn, I had three consecutive one-putts, and ended up with 16 putts on the back. Not stellar, but decent. (I average between 29-31 putts when I'm rolling well). Got a little more comfortable with it, but I'm still far from the point of not thinking about it yet. Once it becomes second nature, maybe I'll see the added benefits (PS -- Naturally, my ball-striking went downhill as my putting improved on the back, and I ended up shooting 43 coming in)

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

I use an interlocking grip for every thing. I do place the putter much more in my palms and it is weaker than with my full swing. I also have small hands. I wear ml cadet gloves. I also weaken my grip for chips.

I never thought about it, but I think my putter grip is exactly the same as any other club, if there is a change - it's not concious

I started using a crosshand grip when I had problems pulling the ball on shorter puts. It definitely helped in that regard, but the distance control became in issue. I've seen people use a bunched up crosshand grip, but that didn't feel right at all. I'm pretty content with a regular crosshand grip.
My bag:
Driver: Callaway X460 10° (Aldila NV 65 S 350)
3-wood: Taylor Made 300 Series 13° (Stiff)
5-wood: Taylor Made V Steel 18° (Stiff)
Irons: 3-P Tommy Armour Silver Scot 845s (Cavity Balanced)Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action 588 53° and Cleveland Tour Action 900 Low Bounce 58° (Gun Metal)

• 5 years later...

Clinodactyly is the term for this. It can actually mean many different congenital things. Here are to excellent web-sites, for those of you who ended up here, as I did, by "Google"!

1) http://www.handresearch.com/news/never-underestimate-little-finger-pinky-pinkie.htm

2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinodactyly

Not to be confused with campodactyly, which is an obvious "flexion" problem and is easy to see the difference by the pictures. Rather than like a half moon appearance; these are actually contracted. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camptodactyly

May you find what your looking for,

Kathy, Proud  Clinodactyly American

• Upvote 1

I use reverse overlap.  Similar to ragonta's except I don't point my left pointer finger down the shaft, I rest it on the crease between my right pinkie and ring finger as they rest on the club.

I'm interested in gas_can's point about holding it more in the palms.  I've actually gone in the opposite direction just recently, going for holding the putter more in my fingers, rather than less.  Obviously it's not 100% in my left hand fingers, but I've just been going for the feeling of the club held lightly as much in the fingers as possible, especially the right hand.  Recently at least I've found I have an easier time keeping things smooth and having better distance control that way.

Though I've been putting horribly (41 putts last round on the way to an 87 with 10 GIR, 5 3-putt bogeys, 2 lipped out 12 footers for birdie, and one weird flubbed 2nd shot to hazard marked brush that led to a 2-putt triple.  Yes I'm frustrated at striking the ball well enough to shoot 78-79 with even a decent putting day and posting an 87 instead!), so I've been trying to generally tweak things to get a different feel and get out of my funk, so maybe it's a temporary "improvement".

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Simple interlocking grip just like with every other club in the bag.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Mine is my grip, but way weaker, were both V's are pointing towards my chin, instead of my right shoulder

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I also use a traditional interlock grip like I use on all of my clubs. The only difference I do with the putter grip is I extend my right hand picky straight down the shaft. I feel like it gives me much better control and I use the extended index finger as a guide for my stroke. I also use a jumbo grip which really helps me keep a very light grip on the putter.

Same overlap grip as my regular clubs except my trail index finger points down the shaft. Feel like my trail palm points down the target line.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Note: This thread is 4515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!