IGNORED

How do golfers keep their irons so new?

very handicap
Note:Β This thread is 5205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I have come across a few golfers on different occasions and was surprise to see how new their irons are. The chrome is still fully intact without much scratches and shining like a new club. Other than some small mark on the groove itself, you can hardly tell that the club is used.

What makes me more surprise is that when i asked them how long they have been using the irons, the answers were "well, i've been having these for the last 4 years". Mind you that these are not the type of golfers who play once a year. I believe they play at least twice a month and going to driving range very often.

Since i'm about to get my new set of clubs, i would like to get some tips from the folks here on how to take care of your clubs. Nothing beats having a set of clubs that look like new than ones that look like they have been through war zone. BTW, i do use irons covers but they still scratch especially on the driving range mat.

Does the ability to keep your irons new have to do with how good a player you are?

The less you hit them anywhere but on the fairway, the better they will look. If you find yourself often in the woods or somewhere where there could be more rocks or pebbel which can damage the clubs. The dings they get in the bag vary from model to model. Mine are forged and pretty soft, but I don't think the dinging in the bag matters that much.

The clubs get some marks on range mats, but a good washing takes away most of it. Still leave enuogh to show lines across it. Other than that, it's not much to do, the clubs will wear when used.

How you swing the club also makes a difference. Those that pick the ball without barely touching the turf will have less wear. The turf also matters if you take a divot. Some courses have softer ground without items which will wear the clubs.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have been thinking about the same thing. Other than keeping the ball in the fairway one could clean their clubs with a proper cleanser then give them a polish. Obviously it will do nothing for the nicks and dents but they'll sure look shiny if they're stainless steel. I'm going to give mine a working over before the warm weather gets to Philadelphia.

If they are playing as much as they claim and still have new-ish looking irons, then you might be victim of a little fib.. Personally i don't care much about how my irons look. As long as they are rust free and are structurally healthy then im happy. Ive had my irons for about a year and a half and they dont look too pretty anymore..lol. But they still work fine, and that's my only concern. I'm a little more anal about keeping my woods and hybrids in pristine condition, though.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Since i'm about to get my new set of clubs, i would like to get some tips from the folks here on how to take care of your clubs. Nothing beats having a set of clubs that look like new than ones that look like they have been through war zone.

just clean them and care for them... wipe them down often, clean the grooves, grips, etc.

BTW, i do use irons covers but they still scratch especially on the driving range mat.

do a search on iron covers... you will find that most golfers think they are pretty lame... I happen to agree... way more hassle than they are worth, and they don't really do much. But, to each his own.

Does the ability to keep your irons new have to do with how good a player you are?

sure maybe a little... less hitting off of crazy lies in the woods... but still, I doubt this is the biggest issue.

Scratches and dings are normal, keep them clean, and don't mistreat them and they shouldn't look "war-zoned". I've put about 120 rounds on my current set and they still look damn good, very clean, finish is the same, but there ARE a couple small dings on the soles, and you can see a quarter size htting zone on the faces. Forged irons will ding easier than cast... just a fact of life... but small dings do not effect playability anyway.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5Β° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14Β° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18Β°) & 3h(20Β°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52Β°-10Β° & 58Β°-10Β°; Odyssey...

I have had the same set of irons in play now since June of 2006. They still appear to be in great condition and I frequently get the "have you ever used those clubs" question during rounds. They are forged so they have a few small dings, but that happens. I play no less than 36 holes a week, from May through September (October if we don't get snow too early).

I have found that the best way to keep them clean is to clean them after every shot before putting it back in the bag. I used to have 1 wet towel and 1 dry towel on my bag. After shot (even if club appears clean) clean with wet towel then dry. This was made easier when I purchased the Frogger towel last year, as it is just 1 towel now, wet on the inside, dry on the outside.

If you do this, you won't have to worry about cleaning them when you get home, and the dirt won't have a chance to dry on making it more difficult to get off.

I also have a "club tub" that I use on the range. It is a little green plastic bucket that has a place to step on it. You fill it with water (and soap if you wish) and it has brushes in it, you stick the club in and move it up and down and it cleans the clubs up nice. Here is a link: http://www.golflink.com/golf-equipme....aspx?p=180714

Josh

WITB
Driver: Ping G425 - Aldila Rogue White
3 Wood: Nike SQ DymoΒ 
Hybrid: TaylorMade SLDR
Irons: Ping i525 Retro Spec
Wedges: Cleveland 588 (52,56,60)
Putter: Never Compromise Gamble Limited Custom

Balls: Titleist ProV1

I have had mine exactly one year and they look used. I take great care of them. Cleaned after every round with a soft toothbrush and hot water to keep the grooves and sole clean. I attribute it to "bag chatter". And the fact that they are forged. Can't avoid that unless you just don't play.

Β 

Try cleaning with a little toothpaste.......it does a wonderful job on the irons and woods.

Also, don't forget to clean your grips regularly with mild soap 7 water.....My Callaway fusions were used when i bought them two years ago.......when i traded them in two weeks ago, the original grips were still new looking and tacky......and I play at least once a week year round.

When I traded them in, I got top dollar for the trade.

I've often wondered that myself, my set of Cobras are about 18 months old and I play on average 2-3 times a week. The faces are very discolored and the heels are a little dinged, the dings are mainly from playing in Phoenix last year.
I use the neoprene iron covers from Walmart and the only time the covers are not on is when I'm taking a shot, my buddies say I'm OCD about my clubs but they still look like ten year old clubs.

Driver: Taylormade R9
3 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
5 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
7 Wood: Cobra S 9-1

Irons: Taylormade r7 Custom Fit (SW-4)

Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza Spyder

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

I've heard that a solution of vinegar and water can really get the shine back on your irons.Haven't tried it yet myself but will shortly as mine are getting quite scuffed and dull looking.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Β 

Maybe my idea of irons that look good is different, but . . . I think my irons have stayed in decent shape for a long time because I walk. I also have a couple sets that I take on vacation when I don't know how rocky the course will be - those poor Apex PCs - people give me their spare change when I use that set.

Anyway, it also helps to use a traditional carry bag and place a towel between the bottom and middle row of irons. Irons nestle together closely in a traditional carry bag (2, 3, or 4 spots for irons and one or two spots for woods - not 14 spots) so they tend to click together less often - the clubheads aren't dangling and moving freely about.

The worst thing you can do to your irons is ride in a power cart. Hey, why not drag them behind your car on the way to the course?!?!?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

My irons still look pretty new. I played them for a few years after I bought them and then took a few years off until last season. I do have some marks, scratches here and there, but they're usually because I hit a rock or something. I have a ding in my 6i from a rock in a bunker. When my irons were new, I use to carry around an old iron for when I was in the trees or had some bad lie just because I didn't want to scar my irons.
I clean my irons after every round with just water and a toothbrush.

'09 Burner (UST ProForce V2 77g - S)
4dx 15.5 hybrid (UST V2 - Stiff)
'99 Apex Plus 3-EW (Stiff)
TM rac 50/6 GW
Arnold Palmer The Standard SW (20-30 years old)'99 Dual Rossie Blade

Like others, I use a towel that is wet on one end and wipe the club after each shot.

I am in the minority, but I like iron covers. It is no problem for me-i just put the cover in my hip pocket as I remove the iron from the bag and stick it back on as I replace it. After the aforementioned wipe with the towel. The hosels still bang together a bit; the newer type of covers that cover the hosel alleviate that somewhat.

A couple of times a year I use Mother's Mag and aluminum chrome polish--and automotive wheel polish. I know, I am anal about how stuff looks.

My 1979 Wilson Staff Tour Blades still look pretty good.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 SΒ Β Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;Β Β Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts-Β TT AMT Red S300Β ;Β WedgesΒ Vokey SM8Β 56-10DΒ Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5Β Β Ball:Β Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Really?!?! That seems excessive to me.

I clean mine after every round as well. If you care for them in between shots, which you should because you do not want to hit your next shot with a dirty club, an after round cleaning only takes about 10 minutes.

i really focus on the face and grooves but do wipe down the other parts too just for asthetics.

In My University of Kentucky Bag:

R9 460
R9 T3
TP Rescue 17, 21 degree R7 TP 3-PW W/ Project X 6.0 Rac Z TP Wedges 50, 54, 58 Rife Two Bar Hybrid Mallet TP Black Pro V1

"well, i've been having these for the last 4 years".
WHO speaks like that?
I clean mine in a mild clorox solution once a week. I use the Frogger brush but tossed the bronze bristles and only use the nylon brush head. And of course headcovers help... never mind.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , RossaΒ  Suzuka

Note:Β This thread is 5205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!