IGNORED

Am I misguided carrying a 3 iron?

DiverDown
Note: This thread is 5209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you can hit your 3I solid leave it in.

I have always hit my long irons pretty good. That being said I have replaced my 3I with a HB. Trying to get used to it now but so far not bad. Once I have it down I feel it will be great. However I recently bought a new set of irons and did purchase the 3I with it. I plan on putting it in the bag on windy days.

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought a 3 hybrid to try one out. Played it for a while, but I can't control it like I can a 3 iron. The iron is back in the bag, the hybrid is sitting in the staff bag, collecting dust. I will probably need it someday. Just not today. The comments about 'that's what the pros play' is utter nonsense to me. I can't play like a pro, so I really don't care what they play.

Yes, I spent the better part of last year trying to find a hybrid that I could put in my bag to replace my 3 Iron. I dont know why, I think I read somewhere I was missing out if I did not change. Either way, I changed multiple shafts, heads, grips, lengths, degrees and they all were garbage. Way to high for me and not enough drive. I then put a 3 iron abck in my bag a month or so ago and have been stripping it when I do hit it. I hit my 3 Iron about 230 and could not get anything in a hybrid to come that close and I even tried a 19*. I don't know but I like my irons...

I carry a 3i, and mainly use it as a driving iron to keep the ball low. Also, I use it to hit punch draws and punch fades to get balls under tree branches coming out of the rough. I practice both of those, because I often need them.

I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to be offensive... but as a 20+ handicap how good do you hit those shots (low draws and punch fades), and if you need them that often what are you doing to get in that situation? I'm just curious here, I just know the 20 cappers I see could not hit a low draw if someone had a gun to their head.

You may have just answered my question for me. I just realized in my last round I used my 3 iron twice for punching out and having to go under a branch.

I agree this is a usefull shot... I find that most of the time I can navigate a low shot with my 4 though.

I can't answer for you, but I know that for me I'm better off with a 3-iron than a hybrid. Hybrid distances vary a good bit for me, while my 3-iron is both more versatile (shot shapes, height, etc.) and tends to go a more consistent yardage.

That's what everyone needs to figure out... it's simply a question of which one will get you home in LESS strokes most consistently. There is NO rule and each person should base his decision on his game alone.

For me, the 4 iron is my trouble club and I still hit it great. The 3 hybrid on the other hand is better for ME on those long par 3's and for attacking par 5's, mostly because it lands softer and I have better distance control (probably because I didn't hit my 3-iron as well). It has been 2-3 yrs since I have hit a 3-iron though, so I would be curious to try one sometime again just for the sake of comparison. Anyway... go with what works for YOU.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to be offensive... but as a 20+ handicap how good do you hit those shots (low draws and punch fades), and if you need them that often what are you doing to get in that situation? I'm just curious here, I just know the 20 cappers I see could not hit a low draw if someone had a gun to their head.

I'm hitting half punch shot draw, which get me back into play. I mentioned I practice both the punch draw and fade regularly.

I can hit a 3i draw off a tee; it's not always pretty, but it works - you don't see me hit a full 3i off the fairway very often. I've completely changed out my clubs between Dec. 2008 and last June - and I picked up the CG14 GW a month ago. Not only changed clubs, but gone from stiff to regular shafts (except for wedge flex in GW and SW). Only putter is holdover. I'm a 20+ HDCP in part because I hit about two drives a side into never-never-land. Also, the CG14 replaces a stock X20 AW that was very unreliable - 20 yards from the green in two, and I'd end up with a double bogie. The CG14 has a much tighter line and range dispersion than the AW. I tried to use a hybrid for three months, but it didn't work except from a shaggy lie. From tee box or fairway, it went wherever it wanted. And yes, for the last two months I hit it like an iron (downward angle). But, it still didn't work. One reason I need the punch shots is tied to the recession. Some of the courses I play have really cut back on maintenance, including storm damage. I hit some punch shots because I'm three yards off the fairway, but end up screened by a half-broken tree branch that never got removed. When I play a full year with my new equipment and shortened swing, I suspect I'll be better than a 21 HDCPer.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I carry a 3 and 4 iron, the two most commonly replaced clubs with hybrids..... at least in my opinion. I shoot in the 90's, mostly because of my short game, but I still can hit a fat shot with the irons and put a drive in the woods. That is getting better, and I'm working on distance control on the short game.

if your handicap isnt a 5 or less your longest iron should be a 5 iron

DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

Is this rule located in the HealthCare bill or what?

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

. . . I'm a 20+ HDCP in part because I hit about two drives a side into never-never-land . . .

Since you're able to hit long irons, hit iron off the tee more often - whatever club leaves you 150 in is more than enough club.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

If someone gets to a 5 hdcp, why would they change their set makeup? Another approach for 18+ cappers on their way to a 5.0 hdcp, would be to leave the driver and 60* wedge in the garage and learn to hit fairways and greens with their mid and long irons. There are many paths to the way.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Since you're able to hit long irons, hit iron off the tee more often - whatever club leaves you 150 in is more than enough club.

Already trending that way. On mid to long par 5s, I usually hit a 3W off the tee, since I have little chance to get on in two.

Have given some thought to getting an old Ping I3 12* strong 3W head - with newer shaft - if I can't straighten out the Driver. Would keep 15* as true 3W. (NOTE: No 60* in my bag; 56* safer than LW)

Is that what the guy on comission at Golf Galaxy told you.

Again... anyone who actually believes there is ONE rule to suit EVERYONE, should give me thier phone number because I have all sorts of other BS I could sell them.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Last comment on the subject:

"Misguided" is not the appropriate word here. What YOU should play should be dictated by the goals you have for yourself with regard to this game we all love. If your score is all that matters, get/do whatever it takes to get as low as possible. If your goal is learning how to play a specific type of club, whatever that is, and being satisfied with that accomplishment, then follow that path, and ignore the others. It's really a question of what you want to get out all this.

I was thinking of this thread yesterday while I was playing. I used my 3 iron on three different occasions yesterday. First shot of the day on a short par 4 with water long and sand right in the middle of the fairway. Needed a precise shot, but slightly thinned it and ended up ok, but not perfect. Good miss, no penalty for the miss. On a par 5, I had 231 to the front, group ahead still on the green. Decided to lay up with the 3, and ended up apologizing to the guys as I rolled it up less than 10 yds away from them. Striped it, not my normal distance. Up and down for birdie. The last was a par 3, about 221 to the front. Toed my tee shot with the 3 iron, ending up about 10 yds short and front right. Missed my up and down for par. Oh well.

Carrying my 3 yesterday cost me a stroke, but what I remember is hitting that perfect little power fade on that par 5. For me, playing well with my 68s is the accomplishment. Not my overall score. But that's just me. Your goals may differ.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Another approach for 18+ cappers on their way to a 5.0 hdcp, would be to leave the driver and 60* wedge in the garage and learn to hit fairways and greens with their mid and long irons. There are many paths to the way.

This is my chosen path at the moment. Last time I used a driver during a round was a Ping G15... ended up out-of-bounds five holes in a row, yet I can be confident of finding the fairways with a three-wood or 3-iron from the tee.

As you say, more than one way to skin a cat.

I wouldn't say you're misguided. Perhaps unsure. I dont carry a 3i and i don't miss it that much. Even though ill admit im more accurate with the iron. I don't shape shots very often (which is the only reason i would carry a 3i now) and its great to use a hybrid from the tee on 210+ par 3's. The only situation i could imagine myself going back to the 3i is if im playing a tight course that i know to be firm and fast. But it would have to be a situation that i would be preparing for, like a tournament. I can still hit a 4i 195-200 yards so i use my 3H as more of a rescue club than an attack club.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Have given some thought to getting an old Ping I3 12* strong 3W head - with newer shaft - if I can't straighten out the Driver. Would keep 15* as true 3W.

I think this is a bit misguided. If your driver spot is open, I would suggest going with a weak-lofted driver (e.g., 12° or higher) instead of a 3W as a tee club, simply because the head for a driver is far more forgiving than a 3-Wood. The key for hitting such a driver is the same as hitting 3W off the tee: instead of attempting to maximize distance, try instead to hit to a specific distance (whatever that is).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I'm sorry, but that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. My handicap is almost entirely the lack of course experience (I need to post more scores, I post one and don't play again until I'm 3 strokes better), not ball striking. I can hit a 1 and 2 iron just as easy as you can hit a 7 iron, but I have trouble hitting a hybrid. To me, this is terrible advice which I was dumb enough to take at one point. I carried a 2 and 3 hybrid... Topped them, chunked them, hooked them into water. Brought the 1 iron back out, and shot much better.

Hybrids are hard as hell to hit for me. Seriously, they all come with shafts that feel like wet noodles, and you just can't get under the ball with them. A 1 iron is very easy to hit, you just slam down on it and it flies. Even if you mishit it, it's not going to be an embarrasing top or shank like a hybrid. I've only recently learned to control the fairway woods, and I still keep a 2 iron on hand (my 1 broke). Everyone is differnt, and what works for you or me doesn't work for someone else. My advice is to take the clubs you feel best about. If you feel better with a hybrid, use a hybrid. If you feel better with a long iron, use that. You're not competeing for life or death, you're out playing for fun, so take the clubs you have fun playing!

I think I see a pattern here. The guys that learned on irons seem to like them best, while guys like me who haven't been playing as long tend to go with the " newer club". There is some crossover as in any pattern but the preference does seem to go less by handicap then by what was being marketed when each of us starting playing. I have a 3h and 4h in my bag and seem to hit a 4i and 4h the same,short (gimme a break, I'm old!) I do envy you guys who can hit a 1i (friggin' things got less loft than a hockey stick)!!

I think I see a pattern here. The guys that learned on irons seem to like them best, while guys like me who haven't been playing as long tend to go with the " newer club". There is some crossover as in any pattern but the preference does seem to go less by handicap then by what was being marketed when each of us starting playing. I have a 3h and 4h in my bag and seem to hit a 4i and 4h the same,short (gimme a break, I'm old!) I do envy you guys who can hit a 1i (friggin' things got less loft than a hockey stick)!!

I tend to agree with you there. I learned with irons. I carry 3-SW irons and I can hit all of them including 3i and 4i without any problem. I bought a 3 hybrid and in the beginning I had trouble hitting it straight. But with practice have gotten use to them. In most situations, I still prefer to hit with 3i or 4i over 3 hybrid.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

it depends on what course i am playing with high rough i will take the 3i out and put the 3h in and with low rough the reverse. mainly because of how the grass will grab the longer hosel of the iron thus making the hybrid out of the rough a little easier and smoother and just as good in the fairway. you can still do anything you want with a 3h that you can with a 3i though

Forget your opponents; always play against par. ~Sam Snead

Sumo2 5900 9.5, ProForce V2 stiff
Diablo 3w
Baffler TWS 3h MP57 4-pw VR wedge 52.10, 56.14 TPz 60.06 Studio Style Newport 2 SG5ProV1x

Note: This thread is 5209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!