IGNORED

I have driver yips!

DavidFehertysBike
Note: This thread is 5076 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

GAH! I never thought it would happen to me, but i think ive delveloped a case of the yips. The last two weekends i havent been able to hit a driver worth a crap. Really bad misses. Its getting to the point where im afraid to even touch my driver. Anyone ever had this happen to them and how did you get over it?
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

This is a blessing in disguise, because you will have a better understanding of your golf swing after you fix your driver problems and next time this happens you will know what to do. Back to basics, grip, posture, stance, ball position, backswing distance away and direction back to the top and the transition from the top of your swing to the hitting zone.

When ever I have a problem with my driver, I practice my 60 or 56 degree wedge and focus on making solid contact, it works for me. The reason it works for me is that you are practicing the hitting zone that is the same for all your clubs including the driver and my main focus is on the take away and the backswing.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

i've found the driver is 99% two things: swing plane and release. that is, given you've lined up properly and have good posture, etc. the flatter the swing plane, the straighter the ball will go with less punishment for mistimed shots. i've got this move that easily helps me find ''the slot'' everyone's always talking about. i get to the top of my swing, and for the briefest of moments before i pivot or anything, i let my hands fall on the plane toward my ball and sort of ''catch'' them with my pivot, for lack of a better word. try this, it will help you out. it's very couples-esque.

also think about this. the longer you lag the club, the stronger your grip needs to be to square up the clubface in time. i have three release points, one for a fade, one other for a straight draw/straight fade, and one for a big push draw. i time my release not with my hands, but with my body, and how long i keep my right shoulder down.

Im going to work on some fundementals today and see if i have a good session. Maybe its just ball position, i dont know. Its very frustrating to me because the driver is the only club ive been hitting just pure stinkers with. I think timing has alot to do with it as well, like senorchipotle mentioned. Im just lost with that club at the momment..
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

ME TOO! last year everything was fading at the end of the year...then it lead to a push...this year everything was drawing at the beginning. now i'm fighting the hooks.... i can't find a consistent grip position that'll yield consistent results....it's frustrating
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

Thats what im doing, hitting alot of blocks that keep going right. Then the next time ill overcompensate, turn over too fast, and hook it. I feel i just need keep it simple and hit 4 or 5 good ones in a row on the course to get some confidence back so i dont overanalyze every bad shot.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

is this through the whole round?
It takes me a couple of holes to warm up with the driver.

I think your focusing too much with the driver,
go out on a quiet day with a load of "shag" balls and don´t worry about losing them
(Losing a Pro V is pretty painful at the best of times, losing a scuffed ultra isn´t)

Good Luck sorting the driver out!

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I havent lost any balls, but hitting trouble shots and punches from under trees all the of time gets mentally draining. I havent hit a fairway with the driver the last 4 rounds ive played, but still shot a couple of decent scores because im hitting my irons well right now. I hit some really nice pitch shots yesterday, as well.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

i had this lat year
for me it was a combo of ball positioning, a better shaft and grip

i moved the ball closer to the front, choked down 1/2" and changed out the shaft
it was like night and day for me
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Sounds like your swing path is to far from the inside, my guess. Go see someone who can video tape your swing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sounds like your swing path is to far from the inside, my guess. Go see someone who can video tape your swing.

Ive never seen my swing on video..dont really want to. I worked on some fundementals on the practice tee yesterday and was hitting the driver better than i have so far this year. I think i was reaching my right hand to the ball (which was a little to far forward to begin with) and that opened up my shoulders at address.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

• 4 weeks later...
Ive never seen my swing on video..dont really want to. I worked on some fundementals on the practice tee yesterday and was hitting the driver better than i have so far this year. I think i was reaching my right hand to the ball (which was a little to far forward to begin with) and that opened up my shoulders at address.

That's how I am. I would love to take a video of my golf swing and have someone analyze it or something, but honestly I'm scared to death to ever watch my own golf swing on tape.

In the bag:

Driver- SQ Dymo2 Str8-fit 10.5 Regular Flex
3 wood- NDS
Irons- FP with an A3 Idea 8 ironWedge- 60* Lob wedgePutter- FX3 (but looking to add a Scotty Cameron sometime this season)

And my apologies for JUST now realizing this is a month-old thread. <_>

In the bag:

Driver- SQ Dymo2 Str8-fit 10.5 Regular Flex
3 wood- NDS
Irons- FP with an A3 Idea 8 ironWedge- 60* Lob wedgePutter- FX3 (but looking to add a Scotty Cameron sometime this season)

I'm right there with you, very frustrated as well because my irons have been sharp, but tough to score when I'm punching out every other hole.

I worked a bit more on the driver yesterday, basically figured out that in an effort to keep my swing shorter, I was abbreviating the backswing which made the transition quick. I was coming out of the swing, getting very handsy and consequently hitting full slices into nowhere. Along with the usual check of setup and grip, check your tempo...especially if you're hitting everything else pretty well.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

Note: This thread is 5076 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!