IGNORED

Official 2010 Masters Thread

Alex B
Note: This thread is 5136 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm hoping AK goes on a tear and gets his first major. I don't really see that happening, though. As far as Tiger's F-Bomb, wouldn't it be smart for CBS to stow the long-range microphone once in a while?

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I personally would like it if Tiger would control his outbursts more, it isn't the swearing that bothers me but just the lack of control. I don't recall ever watching Jack or Arnie or Lee or Tom or Seve or (fill in name of great player here) lacking such discipline. But then I guess the last few months of Tiger's life have revealed a general lack of discipline, haven't they?

Well, you probably have much better coverage of Tiger, including the mic. I didn't watch much golf from the earlier era, but even in the last few years it seems like there are more open mics on the tee box.

And, frankly, I find it odd that no one is complaining about that aspect. It seems that Tiger is the only guy they routinely broadcast audio for on the tee, so it seems pretty clear they're hoping for something "dramatic" out of him. If I were of a temperament to be upset by such things, I'd think the broadcasters are the ones being "irresponsible" or "vulgar" here. After all, Tiger's cursing while perhaps distasteful is predictable and extremely common golf course behavior and it doesn't do us any good to hear it. (Whether or not it does harm is, of course, an open question...) I don't think you can extrapolate from the outbursts to his discipline or lack thereof. I also don't think you can extrapolate from his lack of discipline in, er, family matters to discipline on the golf course. Some people benefit from expressing their emotions, and I think those outbursts are something he uses to clear out his frustration so he can move on to the next shot with a clear head. If it didn't work for him, given the obvious discipline he uses in his golf training, I think he'd have put those aside long ago.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

No matter what happens today, no matter if Tiger stalks and wins, no matter if Phil holds them all off, even if Westwood finds a way to win today, there is little debate that this has been one of the greatest Masters tournaments in recent history, and arguably of all time after only three rounds. Simply based on the number of players in red figures, playing well and making shots you'd have to argue that this is golf at it's absolute finest. When you look at the current leader board, and think about the play over the last three days you cannot help but feel privileged to have witnessed such an event. And that's the most impressive thing so far about this week.
When this week began it was Tiger, Tiger and more Tiger talk. Now, going into Sunday, the event itself has managed to take the headlines and done so in all the right ways. The coverage has still be biased, of course, with a heavy dose of Tiger's every shot including his miserable driving game, but the weight that the other players at the top carry has almost tipped the scale. And even though today will no doubt contain 50% Tiger and 50% the field, in the end this week has done more to heal the image of the PGA Tour, and coincidentally it's most popular player, based on one thing, the game itself. The skill of the PGA tours brand name players, the class and style of the venue, and the beauty of the game of golf have been the essential elements in achieving this aim, and even though some criticized the decision, looking upon it now, you can't help but admit that Tiger's decision to return at Augusta was an absolute masterstroke.
No matter what happens today, this week, we've seen golf become everything that it is purported to be, everything that we can hope it will inspire in us will undoubtedly unfold this afternoon, and we will all have been privileged to be associated with the game we all love.

No matter what happens today, no matter if Tiger stalks and wins, no matter if Phil holds them all off, even if Westwood finds a way to win today, there is little debate that this has been one of the greatest Masters tournaments in recent history, and arguably of all time after only three rounds.

Seriously. I've been watching the Masters since 2006. My reaction after yesterday's round was one of wonder. Specifically, I was wondering if I had somehow slipped into Sunday. It had the excitement of a final round.

The final round of 2008 was exciting, but a very different, less exciting variety of exciting.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If Tiger doesn't close the deal, I"ll take AK or Poulter for the longshots :P

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

im gonna say that no matter who it is, the winner will shoot 64 today, now whether thats a come from behind victory for someone or a big win for someone i dont know

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

I think Phil will take this one home. Lee hits some bad drives that are really bad, only luck saved him a couple of times.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

really? i've never understood mentalities such as yours. tell me, how does it in any way impact your life to hear someone curse? does it denigrate you as an individual when you hear four letter words? does is defile your character? no, of course it doesn't. it has no bearing on anything. i can't stand people like you who try to censor what people can and can't say. if you can't deal with it, go join a monastery where they've taken a vow of silence so nothing can taint your pristine ears.

I was being facetious. Lighten up, chief.

-Rich

Too bad there are not more people like him. Sad to think there are so many in our society today that think like you.

no, what's sad is that there are adults who are so ''pious'' and self righteous that they condemn themselves to mental childhood their whole lives. i lived in europe for a spell, and while there i remarked numerous differences between our culture and theirs. not least, one day a shampoo commercial came on with a woman washing her hair in the forest, she was topless. there was a young child in the room with a few adults. nobody said a thing. i've found that it's when we allow what's natural to be taboo that we are truly perverted.

I was being facetious. Lighten up, chief.

lol... sorry. that just goes to show how immature and pushy some americans are that i actually thought you were serious. well played, old boy.

That Adam Scott Eagle 2 just now? That was the coolest shot I've ever seen.

tell me about it, the ball took about 35 seconds to start moving

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

• Administrator
Just remember guys: http://thesandtrap.com/pga/2010_mast...ound_live_chat . Let's all talk there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

lol... sorry. that just goes to show how immature and pushy some americans are that i actually thought you were serious. well played, old boy.

Hmm, making an excuse for *your* lack of a sense of humor with a derisive generalization... Nice backhanded insult, well played back at you sir.

Bill

Can you believe that little bit of tree debris that fell and landed right in Phil's putt line?

Could he have stopped his swing before contacting the ball and moved the debris without a penalty? I'm going to have to check the rules on that.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

go tiger!

eagle on 7!

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

WOW I take a little nap and wake up to see AK is 1 off the lead. great round going for him today. KJ looks to be playing well and Phil is in the lead. Great golf!! Phil needs to hit his 3 wood today. could be even farther in the lead.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

Note: This thread is 5136 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!