IGNORED

Official 2010 Masters Thread

Alex B
Note: This thread is 5127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Discuss ...

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looking for strong events for AK, Ernie, Camilo and Phil (after his birdie barrage at the end of his last round) but i fully expect Tiger to be there right to the end and pull through for the win

also think adam scott will have a good tourney

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

FWIW, I'll throw out some early Masters predictions....just for fun

1. Tiger plays a poor first round, moves up the leaderboard each of the next 3 days but doesn't quite get there -- finishes T10

2. Ernie Els is the biggest disappointment, making the cut on the number and never contending

3. Boom Boom struggles mightly on the greens, missing the cut

4. Flying under the radar (of course, with the Tiger mess, who other than Tiger isn't?), Sergio Garcia is within 2 shots of the lead on Sunday morning

5. In his 1st Masters appearance, Steve Marino plays to a top-5 finish

6. The back 9 on Sunday comes down to a two man duel between Phil Mickelson and Hunter Mahan.....with Mahan winning after a wild drive on 17 costs PMick a very untimely bogey.

I am curious if anyone else has any "less than politically correct" theories about the name of this tournamnet in light of its place on a map, its historical membership base and the history of that region of the country....I do, but probably best kept to myself....

All for fun.....God love Masters week.....

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

I am curious if anyone else has any "less than politically correct" theories about the name of this tournamnet in light of its place on a map, its historical membership base and the history of that region of the country....I do, but probably best kept to myself....

An interesting thought that hadn't occurred to me, but in that area.........I mean South Carolina was still flying the confederate flag at the state house or whatnot until recently!

I agree about Hunter Mahan making a run for it, hoping Padraig Harrington takes it though! Also think Villegas, Sergio Garcia, Ian Poulter, Paul Casey, and Jim Furyk make a good showing of it.

|Callaway X460 draw-biased Driver|Taylormade Burner 3W|Adams Golf Idea A7 19° Hybrid|Adams Golf Idea Pro Gold 23° hybrid|King Cobra Baffler 29° hybrid|Taylormade Burner 6i|Adams Idea Tech A4OS 7i|Mizuno MP32 8i|Pro Select Blaze II 9i|Callaway Golf Forged Chrome 48° PW|Oncourse Target Series...

I'm not sure if this is just part of the official story or is real, but Bobby Jones didn't like calling it "The Masters." He thought it was immodest. I suspect, if this is true, that it strongly indicates they mean in the context of "top experts of golf" and not "plantation supervisors."

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

FWIW, I'll throw out some early Masters predictions....just for fun

Kinda describes a lot of Tiger's weeks at the Masters.

Yes I do love it!!!!!

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

I hope to see a final round pairing that includes Tiger Woods

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

it's meant to mean ''the master's of golf.'' besides the fact that slavery had been abolished for over 50 years, the tournament is called ''the master's,'' i think if it had anything to do with slavery, that would have been the name of the golf club.

How far has Michael Campbell fallen since his US Open win? Check out the numbers on this tournament match-up with Mark O'Meara...almost a 2 to 1 underdog to Mark O'Meara?...yes, Mark Fukkin O'Meara

Campbell +195
O'Meara -210

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Top 4.....Don't know the order yet...

Paddy
Phil
Cabrerra
Tiger

Yes......I know I am going out on a limb!

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

i have a sneaking suspicion that this will be the most watched master's in history. what with the anticipation of TW coming back, this could potentially be the biggest golf tournament ever. just mho.

What time do pairings/tee times get released?
In my Hoofer:

G15 Driver 9° | Accra Classic SE stiff
Cleveland Hi-Bore 3W 15° | Accra Classic SE stiff
MP-57 3-PW | Rifle flighted shafts 6.0 Spin Milled 52-08 |Black Nickel | True Temper Dynamic Gold Spin Milled 56-08 |Black Nickel | True Temper Dynamic Gold Black Series I#9 putter Pro V1x

Don't think there has been released any specific time.

Look at those fairways, they are nicer than the greens where I play. It's a shame you have to play golf and take divots on it. They sure do a good job at making Augusta looking wonderful.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I wish I could see a history of Masters winners' previous weeks' results. I'm sure it's available, I just don't know where to compile it. My gut feeling is, moreso than other majors (at least, it feels that way), the Masters has a way of not giving a crap who is playing well up to that point. It's often out of nowhere we see a guy just "on" that week, and lots of favorites are laying sod all over the place. It's actually one of the things I like best about the tournament, is that you see guys without the 'huge games' that are just really focused and managing the course well with their games that do the best. Of course, that's all excluding the year Tiger just completely overpowered the course with seeming brute force and a deadly putter, but I love watching that anywhere.

I think I want Tiger to do well, really well, even win, for one main reason. He was ruling the Tour all while his life was in shambles, right? Lying, cheating, not practicing his faith, etc..., and still winning multiple times per year, ho-hum. All this went down, and - IMO - people want his golf to suffer. They want to say, see, he was arrogant, he's flawed, it was all an act, all a sham, etc... He's done all these apologies, and laying himself at the altar of public sacrifice, and I think, deep down, people want the 'myth of Tiger' to crumble. I want Tiger to go to Augusta, and torch the place, and say, "oh, you thought things would change? Have you forgotten, I was born with a 7-iron in my hand? I make golf balls dance and dive, that's what I do. "Who I am" is something different, and yeah, that was bad, and now it's getting better, but let's be clear: I am still out to leave the PGA record books with only five letters: T-I-G-E-R."

I never liked Tiger b/c I thought he was a family man, a humanitarian, or a good father. Good for him if he was, is or will again be, but what I liked....loved...is his mastery of arguably the most demandingly precise sport ever played, and I look forward to seeing it again.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

I never liked Tiger b/c I thought he was a family man, a humanitarian, or a good father. Good for him if he was, is or will again be, but what I liked....loved...is his mastery of arguably the most demandingly precise sport ever played, and I look forward to seeing it again.

Agreed. I like Tiger because of the 18', tournament winning putts. Because moreso than anyone else, when it looks like theres no shot, he pulls one out of nowhere. The fist pumps, the intensity, the competitive spirit. I want to see more of that in golf, not less. I see that in younger players, like Kim and McIlroy, I definately think its a generational thing.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I wish I could see a history of Masters winners' previous weeks' results. I'm sure it's available, I just don't know where to compile it.

You can look up the past winners on Masters.org or Wikipedia (if you don't already know it). You can then go to their player page on pgatour.com , click "results," change the year to the year of their win, and there's their previous week. Only Hogan (twice) and Woods (2010) have made it their season premiere and won, so there's

some previous week. I'll do the first few, because I'm curious: 2009 -- Cabrera missed the cut at the Shell Houston Open. And the Arnold Palmer Invitational. 2008 -- Trevor Immelman missed the cut at the Shell Houston Open. Are we seeing a pattern? Might Hunter Mahan don a green jacket? 2007 -- Zach Johnson had a T9 at the WGC - CA Championship. He did not enter the Shell Houston Open. 2006 -- Phil Mickelson won the Bellsouth Classic by 13 shots. 2005 -- Tiger Woods T53 at the Players' Championship. In fairness, he typically does poorly there. He had a T23 at Bay Hill before that. 2004 -- Phil Mickelson T10 at Bellsouth Classic. 2003 -- Mike Weir M/C at Bellsouth Classic 2002 -- Tiger Woods - T14 at Players', WIN at Bay Hill. 2001 -- Tiger Woods won the Players' and at Bay Hill. This win completed the Tiger Slam. 2000 -- Vijay Singh T33 at Players' Championship. 3 missed cuts, 2 wins, 2 top 10s, 3 made cut, not top 10. Interesting.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 5127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!