IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Nice post.  Interesting reading about your thought process and the hole images helped me visualize.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@saevel25 , really interesting reading through your thought process. I think that it you really aimed, played and did what you said then your game plan was good and definitely in keeping with LSW.

I guess, as you said, some days your swing doesn't show up and it's a losing battle trying to hit greens and score well.

Henry

Shot even par tonight, should have been 2 under. Lipped out a 4 foot putt for par. Had 120 in on the last hole. My stock 52 degree and i go and lazy chunk it to 50 yards short. Just a total lack of concentration. Overall a good night of golf. I went on a three hole birdie stretch, which was fun.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

Here's a harsh look at the mistakes. If it's not mentioned, it's good or just not worth mentioning.

►Hole 1 - Par 4, 426 yard dog leg to the right.

Score: +2, nGIR: 0, GIR 0, Putts: 2

So:

- Wedge distance (downhill to the green, too, @saevel25 ) = Poor GamePlan (SV④)

- Short Game Decision Map™ (SV④)

- Greenside Shot (SV③) (two putt after hitting a shot from just off the green)

►Hole 2 - Par 3, 152 yards straight away, bunker sits off to the left. There is a pretty steep slope to the left of the green that kicks everything into the woods.

- Full swing shot (SV④)

►Hole 3 - Par 5, 512 yards. Straight away hole, with OB to the right and woods to the left. Pretty wide landing area though. The rough wasn't that penalizing Sunday.

Score: +1 (+4), nGIR: 1 (1), GIR 0, Putts 2 (6)

- Full swing shot (SV④)

- Decision Map™ on the full swing shot (SV④)

- Short Game Decision Map™ (SV④)

- Greenside Shot (15 foot putt after a greenside shot) (SV③)

►Hole 4 - Par 4, 288 yards. This is a pretty tricky par 4. It's about 275 yards to the green. A hazard runs along the left side of the fairway and cuts in front of the green, which is offset to the left from the fairway.

Score: +1 (+5), nGIR: 0 (1), GIR 1, Putts 3 (9)

- 25+ foot putting (SV②)

Score: 0 (+5), nGIR 0 (1), GIR 1 (2), Putts 2 (11)

Good.

►Hole 6 - Par 3, 183 yards. A straight away par 3, with two bunkers that guard the front of the green.

On this hole the wind picked up a bit and was into our face. So I clubbed up to a 6 iron. I aimed at the middle of the green for this shot. I didn't hit a good shot, I came up short and left in the rough between the bunker and the green. The pin was set in the front that day and I chipped it to about 10 feet. I ended up two putting for my bogey.

Score: +1 (+6), nGIR 1 (2), GIR 0 (2), Putts 2 (13)

- Greenside Shots (SV③)

►Hole 7 - Par 5, 523 yards, a dog leg left par 5. The tee shot constricts about 270 yards from the tee box, with a fairway bunker on the right and a few trees on the left.

Score: +1 (+7), nGIR 0 (2), GIR 0 (2), Putts 2 (15)

- Full swings (x2, SV④)

- Greenside bunker shot (SV②)

►Hole 8 - Par 4, 423 yards. A pretty tough hole. I might consider it the toughest hole on the course in my opinion. A long par 4, the fairway goes out about 250 yards then it is all downhill to the green. There is a hazard on the right, with a very steep slope before it. The left side is guarded by the woods. The green has the hazard encroaching infront of it, and a steep slope over the back that runs all the way to a creek.

Score: +1 (+8), nGIR 0 (2), GIR 0 (2), Putts 2 (17)

- Full swing (SV④)

►Hole 9 - Par 4, 374 yards, a dog leg left par 4 that is all up hill. Fairway bunkers guard the right side through the fairway, and a woods and hazard guard the left side.

For this tee shot, I pull my 3 hybrid to lay back before the bunkers. I took aim straight at that first fairway bunker and hit too much push with too little draw. I ended up in the fairway about 150 yards from the center of the green. I took my 9 iron from here. I aimed towards the center of the green and hit a pretty weak shot that ended up front right. I was able to chip up to about 20 feet and two putt for my bogey.

Score: +1 (+9), nGIR 1 (3), GIR 0 (2), Putts 2 (19)

- Full swing (SV④)

- Greenside Shot (SV③)

►Hole 10 - Par 4, 451 yards, a beastly hole. Just a straight away par 4, and LONG! There are woods to the left and OB on the right (driving range). The green is slightly elevated with a false front.

Score: +1 (+10), nGIR 1 (4), GIR 0 (2), Putts 2 (21)

- Full swing approach shot (SV④)

- Greenside Shot (SV③)

►Hole 11 - Par 3, 151 yards, a straight away par 3. Nothing really guarding this green at all. Just make sure you clear the hazard that runs about 75 yards in front of the green.

This hole was in to the wind a bit, so I clubbed up to my 7 iron. The pin was back left. For this shot I aimed at the middle of the green and hit a straight draw over the green back left. Not where you want to be. I then pitched it on and the ball just ran to about 35 feet from the hole, near the front of the green. I then proceed to hit my putt to about 4 feet and miss the 4 footer for bogey. Got out of there with a double!

Score: +2 (+12), nGIR 1 (5), GIR 0 (2), Putts 3 (24)

- Everything :D

- Decision Map off the tee (SV④, par three strategy is HIT THE DAMN GREEN :D)

- Full swing (SV④)

- Greenside Shots (SV③)

- 25+ foot putts (SV②)

►Hole 12 - Par 5, 518 yards, a straight away drive with a slight dogleg right for the approach shot. A big hazard cuts the fairway in two about 340 yards from the tee box.

Score: +1 (+13), nGIR 1 (5), GIR 1 (3), Putts 3 (27)

- Full swing (SV④)

- 25+ foot putts (SV②)

- Good Decision Map™ though! :D

►Hole 13 - Par 4, 356 yards, a short par 4 that has a hazard that cuts the fairway in two about 260 yards from the tee. It is about 285-290 yards to carry. There are two fairway bunkers on the right, it takes about 210 yards to carry them. There are woods to the left of the fairway as well.

Score: +3 (+16), nGIR 0 (5), GIR 0 (3), Putts 2 (29)

Eh. No comment. :)

►Hole 14 - Par 3, 184 yards, a long par 3 with bunkers that guard the left side of the green from front to back. There is also a bunker that guards the front right of the green.

Score: +2 (+18), nGIR 0 (5), GIR 0 (3), Putts 3 (32)

- Approach Shots (SV④)

- Approach Shots (SV④)

- 25+ foot putts (SV②)

►Hole 15 - Par 5, 536 yards, pretty much a straight away par 5. Hazard does come into play on the left side about 260 yards out. A fairway bunker sits on the right side about 290 yards from the tee box.

Score: +2 (+20), nGIR 0 (5), GIR 0 (3), Putts 2 (34)

- GamePlan (SV④)

- Trouble Shot (SV②)

- Full Swing (SV④)

►Hole 16 - Par 4, 300 yards. The famous hole 16, as seen in the "How would you play this hole" thread. A short par 4 that is slightly up hill till you reach about 60 yards from the green, then ascends steeply to an elevated green. Three bunkers guard the front of the green.

Score: +2 (+22), nGIR 0 (5), GIR 0 (3), Putts 2 (36)

- Driving (SV④)

- Approach Shots (SV④)

- GamePlanning (SV④)

- Greenside bunker shots (SV②)

►Hole 17 - Par 4, 398 yards, a dogleg left with fairway bunkers guarding the left and right side where the fairway bends left. A hazard sits along the left side of the fairway just past the bunker on the left.

Score: +1 (+23), nGIR 0 (5), GIR 0 (3), Putts 1 (37)

- GamePlan (SV④)

- Driving (SV④)

►Hole 18 - Par 4, 411 yards all the way uphill dog leg to the left. A hazard cuts the fairway in two about 290 yards from the tee box, and two fairway bunkers guard the right side straight away.

Score: +2 (+25), nGIR 0 (5), GIR 0 (3), Putts 2 (39)

- Driving (SV④)

- Trouble Shots (SV②)

- GamePlan (SV④)

Conclusion

I don't think my game plan was incorrect. I took driver when the other option was 3 wood and the distance loss would be too much compared to the accuracy gained due to any sort of penalty for hitting the driver. I wasn't pin seeking today, I even aimed some pitch shots away from the hole to make sure I was on the green. I was trying to play my shot shape I had on the range. The primary thing I saw was my approach shots were not solid at all. Which was surprising because I was hitting the irons so well on the range before the round. Honestly my main concern going into this round was my driver and that actually showed up for the most part. From where I was on the course, I should have hit way more greens. I also putted horribly. My speed control was terrible on a lot of putts. My short game sucks. It just isn't something I practice nearly enough. I know 60% full shots, 20% of my time on short game. Well my practice time on short game is probably 5%. Need to give more time on that. Still, the approach shots were just BAD!!

I had 5 nGIR and 3 GIR, NOT GOOD!!

39 putts, 2.17 putts per hole, BAD!!!

On 3 holes I took an extra short game shot, BAD!!!

For the first 12 holes I stayed away from the hazards, then I had 4 balls end up in the lateral hazards on the last 6 holes. Just fell apart there!!

Well there is my round in all its glory. I might chalk this up to just a bad day. Yesterday I had a league match and I had 5 GIR with 3 nGIR. Basically in 9 holes yesterday I had the same approach shot stats as I did on Sunday for 18 holes.

That about sums it up. Your driving wasn't as good as you think, too. You could have easily hit 3W on 18. As far as you hit the driver, you would have been up on the hill (then again, you didn't care, so whatever :D). Your GamePlan was off in a few situations.

Your short game sucks, yes, as does your lag putting. Your approach shots were the killer, as you could have had a shitty short game and still been near most GIRs, or there in two on some of the par fives.

You had 210 and 195 in for your second shots on two par fives and walked away with bogey.

@saevel25 knows this, so I'll say this for everyone else's benefit. The above kind of shit can happen, but the best way to recover is to look at WHY. The Separation Values™ listed above should help prevent this kind of thing from happening again.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That about sums it up. Your driving wasn't as good as you think, too. You could have easily hit 3W on 18. As far as you hit the driver, you would have been up on the hill (then again, you didn't care, so whatever :D). Your GamePlan was off in a few situations.

Your short game sucks, yes, as does your lag putting. Your approach shots were the killer, as you could have had a shitty short game and still been near most GIRs, or there in two on some of the par fives.

You had 210 and 195 in for your second shots on two par fives and walked away with bogey.

@saevel25 knows this, so I'll say this for everyone else's benefit. The above kind of shit can happen, but the best way to recover is to look at WHY. The Separation Values™ listed above should help prevent this kind of thing from happening again.

Yep, pretty much. I'll be taking a look at the "Lowest Score Wins" for some short game practice help. I'll also spend time on my putting.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• Administrator
Yep, pretty much. I'll be taking a look at the "Lowest Score Wins" for some short game practice help. I'll also spend time on my putting.

You should do this…

List each of the Skills and their Separation Value® level. Then grade yourself at each of the skills.

Call it the "SV Report Card." I'll make a thread later tonight with that stuff…

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The hole by hole break down is a very cool idea.

Shot even par tonight, should have been 2 under.

Lipped out a 4 foot putt for par.

Had 120 in on the last hole. My stock 52 degree and i go and lazy chunk it to 50 yards short. Just a total lack of concentration.

Overall a good night of golf. I went on a three hole birdie stretch, which was fun.

Great to see you shoot a good score. Im sure it was fun to have a 3 birdie stretch I don't get 3 birdies in a month :-P .  I can't wait to see your score when it all comes together (which it will). Nice job bud.

You should do this… List each of the Skills and their Separation Value® level. Then grade yourself at each of the skills. Call it the "SV Report Card." I'll make a thread later tonight with that stuff…

I am sure how I grade on a few things, others are kinda iffy guesses. I need to keep better stats :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Going to try to assess my golf round from last night

Hole 10 - Driving (ended up behind a tree), 3-15 FT Putts ② , nGIR 1 (1), FIR 0 (0), Putts 2 (2), Score +1

Hole 11 - 25+ FT Putt Distance Control ② (left at 25 foot putt 4 feet short ), GIR 1 (1), Putts 2 (4), Score E (+1)

Hole 12 - Approach Shots ④ , Greenside Shot ③ (hit a pitch shot to about 15 feet) , 3-15 FT Putts ,  nGIR 1 (2), Putts 2 (6), Score +1 (+2)

Hole 13 - Game Planning (usually don't pull driver, brings trouble into play) :-D , 20-60 Yard Shot ② , GIR 1 (2), Putts 2 (8), FIR 1 (1), Score E (+2)

Hole 14 - Driving :no: , Approach Shots ④ (ended up about 45 feet from the pin from 130 yards), GIR 1 (3), Putts 2 (10), FIR 0 (1), Score E (+2)

Hole 15 - 25+ FT Putt Distance Control ② , GIR 1 (4), Putts 2 (12), FIR 0 (1), Score -1 (+1)

Hole 16 - Driving ④, 25+ FT Putt Distance Control ② , GIR 1 (5) Putts 2 (14), FIR 0 (1), Score -1 (E)

Hole 17 - GIR 1 (6), Putts 1 (15), FIR 0 (1), Score - 1 (-1)

Hole 18 - Approach Shots ④ , 20-60 Yard Shot ② , Putts 2 (17), FIR 1 (2), Score +1 (E)

GIR = 6/9

nGIR + GIR = 8/9

FIR = 2/6

Putts: 17

Score: Even

SV's

Driver = 3

3-15 FT Putts ② = 2 (Made 3 out of 5)

25+ FT Putt Distance Control ② = 3 (Left 3 putts outside of 3 feet)

Approach Shots ④ = 3 (Missed the green on a par 3, Ended up outside of 25 feet from 130 yards, Chunk'd a wedge 70 yards forward)

20-60 Yard Shot ② = 2 (Didn't get the ball inside of 15 feet)

Game Planning = 1 (Shouldn't have taken driver on the 13th hole)

Greenside Shot ③ = 1 (Didn't get a 30 foot chip shot inside of 10 feet)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

3-15 FT Putts ② = 2 (Made 3 out of 5)

25+ FT Putt Distance Control ② = 3 (Left 3 putts outside of 3 feet)

Remember:

• For the first one, anything outside of eight feet or so is 50/50, so you can't say "2 failures" unless they were quite short.
  • For the long putts, the distance you're looking for is 10% or less. A 40-footer that finishes 3.8 feet from the hole is good.

• Administrator
+6 77

2 doubles

2 bogies

14 pars

Got up and down 7 out of 10 times

32 putts

8 GIR with 8 nGIR

How do you shoot +6 with 16 nGIR? :)

• Administrator

Have you seen him chip?

He said 7/10 up and down!

How do you shoot +6 with 16 nGIR? :)

>Back Nine : 3 GIR + 6 nGIR, average proximity to pin was 28 feet, 13 putts, 5/6 on scrambling from 1-20 yards (average proximity was 5 feet), no 20-60 yards short game shots, Shot +1

>Front Nine : 5 GIR + 2 nGIR, average proximity to pin was 60 feet (chunked a long iron), 19 putts (3 - 3 putts), 2/2 scrambling from 1 - 20 yards (average proximity was 6.5 feet), no 20-60 yards short game shots, +1 penalty for lateral hazard, and + 1 for chunking a long iron way short of a nGIR, shot +5.

I was 3/6 from 3 - 5 foot putts. All of those misses were on left to right breaking putts. I miss hit left to right putts way more often than right to left, especially on the heel of the putter.

5 out of the 7 short game shots 1-20 yards were putts from the fringe.

When I chipped/pitched from 1-20 yards I averaged 5 feet. When I putted I averaged 3.5 feet.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Which is why I'm calling BS.

Call it what you will, but it was a fricken scrappy round of golf today!

As for the swing, backswing is still causing me issues on the course. So for the back nine, I decided to add a pump drill to my preshot routine. I just needed something in the moment to get me a feel of a better backswing position. So I would take the club up to A3 and hold it there, and feel my right elbow away from the body. Then I would readdress the ball and hit it. It seemed to work much better for me on the back nine.

Tee shots front nine (absolute values) dispersion: 35, 45, 45, 10, 15, 100 :whistle: , 12

Tee shots back nine: 10, 20, 10, 20, 0, 18

I think feeling the club at a shorter position in the backswing helps with overswinging and also helps with keeping the club from getting too deep. In the end it helped out a ton on the back nine. Not many FIR because some of them I shy away from due to their proximity to OB, or fairway bunkers.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Call it what you will, but it was a fricken scrappy round of golf today!

As for the swing, backswing is still causing me issues on the course. So for the back nine, I decided to add a pump drill to my preshot routine. I just needed something in the moment to get me a feel of a better backswing position. So I would take the club up to A3 and hold it there, and feel my right elbow away from the body. Then I would readdress the ball and hit it. It seemed to work much better for me on the back nine.

Tee shots front nine (absolute values) dispersion: 35, 45, 45, 10, 15, 100 , 12

Tee shots back nine: 10, 20, 10, 20, 0, 18

I think feeling the club at a shorter position in the backswing helps with overswinging and also helps with keeping the club from getting too deep. In the end it helped out a ton on the back nine. Not many FIR because some of them I shy away from due to their proximity to OB, or fairway bunkers.

Whatever gets the ball in the hole man. :beer:

- Shane

@saevel25 , I also find using a pump drill as my practice swing on the course to be very beneficial. Currently my pump is to help feel a better A4 and recently added a weight forward feel as I start the downswing. I find doing this helps to translate the swing from practice onto the course. For me, just making full speed practice swings only serves to undo the good practice I do and by about hole 4 my swings regress about 1-2 months.

Henry