IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Correct, you're going to feel like the pacing is more even from 4-5 rather than trying rip it from 4.

Finally got to the range, everything is feeling a lot better now that I got some quality reps. Hit about 50 golf balls, but I took about 3-4 practice swings between each one, working on the backswing piece and shortening the swing. Timing was much better.  I think my miss I have to worry about is the pull hook. Sometimes I can get caught up in not pushing that path to the right and I end up sending the clubhead outside the hands a bit and will end up hitting a big hook.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Finally got to the range, everything is feeling a lot better now that I got some quality reps. Hit about 50 golf balls, but I took about 3-4 practice swings between each one, working on the backswing piece and shortening the swing. Timing was much better.  I think my miss I have to worry about is the pull hook. Sometimes I can get caught up in not pushing that path to the right and I end up sending the clubhead outside the hands a bit and will end up hitting a big hook.

Re: the pull hook...Welcome to my world. And like you, I really have to Focus on swinging from in to out. It's nice when you get it right though.. :-D

Not a good ball striking day. Still can't bring the timing to the course. I can get it going if I string a lot of shots together on the range, but the time between full swing shots is making it tough for me. I was also missing shots to the right a bit. Had alot of big pushes and a few push cuts. Back to the driving range in the future. On a side note, it was 15 mph winds and 25-30 mph gust today. So a few of my shots got wind effective. One of my 6 irons was pushed a good 10 yards off line to the left, which put me behind a tree. Though if you aim right and it doesn't move, your ball will bank off the side hill of the elevated green and go OB. So it was a miss I was willing to live with because it wasn't a penalty. If the wind was down, I would have been left side of the green. GRRRRRRR!!!!

At the range before the round I was hitting a TON of shots fat. I think I was faking the hip firing by tiling the head back in the downswing. When I focused on feeling the head going the other way more, I hit a lot of the shots better. So, that is something to be aware of.

Just need to get more reps so it becomes habit.

Overall my misses were cuts. I really felt the hands moving across the body too much, causing a slight outside to in swing path. :pound:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

I feel your frustration, as I have been there! Although I am thinking that you are good enough to just forget about everything and just think 3/4 swing and you will be fine! You didn't mention what you scored though either? However with winds like that you should give yourself the benefit if the doubt and just leave it behind and move on :)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Iron swing was shit today. No clue what is going on. Just no consistency linking up the backswing with the downswing. Sometimes I chunk, sometimes I thin, I'll hit huge pushes to big pull hooks. :~(

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Iron swing was shit today. No clue what is going on. Just no consistency linking up the backswing with the downswing. Sometimes I chunk, sometimes I thin, I'll hit huge pushes to big pull hooks.

So… get your swing on video and post it.

You need to do your backswing before you even consider your downswing at all right now. Stop trying to do both if that's what you're doing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'll try to get a video up next week. On golf vacation trying to play as good as I can. I'll try to simplify things. And hope for the best.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Little better today, still few too many blow up, mostly all short game. Having partial swings and thin and chunked pitches. As for the long swing, Simplifying my thoughts helped a ton. Feeling more shoulder turn versus hand movement works well with shortening the swing. It also helps get the same feel with we're my right arm is away more from my body more. Still got to make sure I turn and not do all hands or the big push slice happens. I think I thought I was doing the backswing more, but actually wasn't. I really need to feel more right elbow getting width away from the body.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played horrible today. 89 (+18) Couldn't get off the tee at all. My irons were so-so at times, and just terrible at others. I was hitting big pushes and push cuts, or big hooks with the driver. Did not have the backswing piece going at all today. My timing is horrible. Some shots just feel smooth, others feel so fast and terrible. My wedge blame is still terrible.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Well I out did my self from yesterday, 95 (+23) Driver was ok, not outstanding. Irons were so so, contact is way better, just reliable yet. The misses now are draws or over draws, not both right and left from the last two days, so that is an improvement. I was working on the swing before the round. I had a feeling from yesterday that I was too army, and handish with the swing. So today I did more turn, less forcing the hands to do what I want, and the contact was much better. The contact was less steep than before, and much more effortless. It's much easier to keep the right arm I front of the body more when the body rotates correctly, who knew :-P The horrid part is chipping and pitching. I average something like 1.75 to 2 strokes every time I have to hit a wedge shot. On one hole I took, 3 shots inside of 40 yards. I know hitting greens will help this a ton, but this is stupid bad.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Yea, get some videos up, @saevel25 . I'm not saying I'm going to give an opinion that's useful to you, but I'm sure Erik or Mike or others will.

Oh yea, why not throw in a couple chips and pitches from FO and DTL too?*

Still, it's early in the season, so... I guess it shouldn't be surprising. I can only speak for myself, but changes can be tough to bring to the course, even if I've got a solid mental game about the whole thing.

*I've never seen your short game, so I dunno if your poor play here was just due to rust or something, so if it was, then I would assume the chips and pitches video wouldn't be necessary. Unless you wanted to show off or something :-D

Constantine

I took a tumble the last couple months swing wise, but finally broke out and shot under 90 this week. Keep working on the right things and it will fall into place. Just don't let your bag eat your tripod like mine did.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Yea, get some videos up, @saevel25. I'm not saying I'm going to give an opinion that's useful to you, but I'm sure Erik or Mike or others will.

Oh yea, why not throw in a couple chips and pitches from FO and DTL too?*

Still, it's early in the season, so... I guess it shouldn't be surprising. I can only speak for myself, but changes can be tough to bring to the course, even if I've got a solid mental game about the whole thing.

*I've never seen your short game, so I dunno if your poor play here was just due to rust or something, so if it was, then I would assume the chips and pitches video wouldn't be necessary. Unless you wanted to show off or something

Yesterday was a bit better. Though I thought I was on the train for another +90 round when I went 46 on the front nine. Then I went 5 over on the back, with two birdies. Ended up 3 birdies on the round. Wedge and short game keeps kicking me in the ass. I was able to get up and down for birdie out of a bunker. Then get up and down for par another time. Then I take 3 shots in one bunker alone trying to get out, and it was an EASY lie. I mean, come on. :censored:

Yea, I will get a video of my short game up next week.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Well back in Dayton after a fun week of golf. I was disappointed with my overall play, but I still won a lot of money so that is a plus. Its always good to score the best net round on the last day when it's all individual play.

Still need a lot of work on the backswing piece, especially with the driver. I played today with my cousins before driving back to Dayton. Just couldn't hit a driver with out having my weight fall to my back foot. My irons were mostly slightly thin, and only had about two good iron shots. The backswing piece + Driver is very hard for me to do right now. I'll try to get a swing on video with the driver. I have MAJOR issues with timing when I try to do that backswing piece with the driver. 99% of the time its a massive slice. Irons are much easier to deal with right now. Not sure why, but oh well, TO THE VIDEO CAMERA I shall go!!!!

Short game is coming along better. Overall there was less and less F'ups with the short game. I played today and had ZERO chunk or thin wedge shots. Distance control needs work, but that comes with better contact. So probably just need a lot more reps with that pitching motion.

Ready to put in some hard work.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I found out something today. Keeping the heady steady really works out well :doh:

Just decided today I was going to trust it. So I just focused on making sure my set up was good, my head was down more to make sure I am looking at the ball correctly, then I just swung the club. Overall the quality of the striking was MUCH better, especially with the irons and driver. Still need to practice on my pitching.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I found out something today. Keeping the heady steady really works out well

Just decided today I was going to trust it. So I just focused on making sure my set up was good, my head was down more to make sure I am looking at the ball correctly, then I just swung the club. Overall the quality of the striking was MUCH better, especially with the irons and driver. Still need to practice on my pitching.

Yep, a steady head works for ALL shots, even little chips. This is also one of my downfalls...benn working on key # 1 for months...sigh.

Yep, a steady head works for ALL shots, even little chips. This is also one of my downfalls...benn working on key # 1 for months...sigh.

Yea I noticed on some of my shots I would follow the club back because I was worried about the backswing. Other times, I noticed I stood too upright with posture as well (looking at the ball down the bridge of my nose type of deal). So I just went, Ok I did the drills, I trust the backswing is somewhat better. Just keep the eyes looking at the ball and swing the club. Worked out pretty well tonight.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Yea I noticed on some of my shots I would follow the club back because I was worried about the backswing. Other times, I noticed I stood too upright with posture as well (looking at the ball down the bridge of my nose type of deal). So I just went, Ok I did the drills, I trust the backswing is somewhat better. Just keep the eyes looking at the ball and swing the club. Worked out pretty well tonight.

Weird, cuz in my practice swings, I would also look at my back swing. I guess it became sort of a habit, because my head tends to drift to the right..Argh. So last night, I was making some 25-30 ft. chip shots, and made sure I watched the club hit the ball...much better contact, and I hit my target more often.

Maybe we should start a Head Stay Still club..? lol  Anyhow, good work on your part. :beer: