IGNORED

taking a huge leap of faith re Golf dream

freddy
Note: This thread is 5091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hear ya. Like my boss used to say, "you can't polish a turd". So, that fact that you're a scratch from the get-go is a good sign. But I think there are a lot of very good athletes involved in the golf biz that are working the trenches, teaching or working in the clubhouse, so that by itself is not the determining factor.

I always heard it, "You CAN polish a turd, but it's still a piece of SH-..."

Cleveland Launcher DST 10.5*

Ping G15 17*

Mizuno MP-53 4-PW with GS-95

Mizuno MPT-11 Black Nickel 52* and 58* with GS-95

Ping Redwood Anser

If you don't have to worry about making money and the job thing if you fail, you would be insane not to AT LEAST give it a shot.

Cleveland Launcher DST 10.5*

Ping G15 17*

Mizuno MP-53 4-PW with GS-95

Mizuno MPT-11 Black Nickel 52* and 58* with GS-95

Ping Redwood Anser

Well i am fairly younger but like you hope to go onto the pros later in my life: Here is what im doing now and id think you might want to try

First find a teacher you like and trust, take lessons from him every 1-2 weeks.

Then, once you are striking the ball well enter into a few smaller tournaments(the difference btwn tournament golf and regular rounds is astounding).

While you are doing all of this PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!! i CANNOT stress this enough. Focus alot of this time on your short game it is soo important...i mean most tourneys end up to be a putting contest of sorts...

You also might want to either read some of bob rotella's books on golf or get yourself a mental coach. The mental game is soo huge in this game....

Also throughout this whole endevor id make sure to eat very healthy(nutritionist) and work out alot. This will help you more than you can imagine...(i started this for the 1st time this year and have gained 20+ yards on my drives and it makes it much easier to hit shots properly which may sound strange...)

Then just make sure you are devoted to it..Id say GO FOR IT...You only live once live the dream!! Good luck

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

I don't know all the details but based on what you've said, two things are troublesome. 1. you have a fiance...2. your backup job is dependent on staying with your fiance.

Hopefully she doesn't have a job and can travel with you, otherwise I think you may not see much of her during your quest...How does she feel about this? Have you asked her?

If you have the means to give it a shot without downside, you'd be remiss not to.

That said, I would do things a bit differentely if there were anything at risk. A safer route would be to become an accomplished amateur while working. If you truly are as good as you think, then you should have no problems placing pretty well in the major amateur tourneys around the nation. Let this be your indicator about your potential and a stepping stone towards the pro world. There's a big difference between shooting a 73 on a course set up for daily play, and shooting that same score under tournament conditions when you absolutely have to.

Also, like somebody else said, don't discount how much work this will be because it will be more than you ever imagined. We don't know what your game currently looks like, but chances are that moving to a + index will require a bit more effort than working on your short game.

I hope you can tell me that I was wrong in a few years but there are quite a few scratch or better golfers out there who aren't playing on tour. It takes a lot more than talent to make it.

Do it, do it, do it! For all the lawyers out there who wish they were good enough golfers to even consider such a bold move (e.g. me!). Very best of luck to you mate, sincerely!

Motocaddy S3
MX700 10.5° Driver; Aldila VS Proto 65R
MX700 5W; Aldila VS Proto 85R
MX700 20°, 23°; Exsar HS4R
MX300 5-PW; FST KBS Tour R MP-T 51°, 56°, 60°; Dynalite XP Gold S300Bettinardi BlackCarbon BC1Bridgestone e6+ balls

Well i am fairly younger but like you hope to go onto the pros later in my life: Here is what im doing now and id think you might want to try

Just because it has worked for you up until now doesn't mean it will work for someone else. (besides the healthy eating part. not 20+ yards added but just healthy eating).

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Just because it has worked for you up until now doesn't mean it will work for someone else. (besides the healthy eating part. not 20+ yards added but just healthy eating).

Well essentially what i meant(and should have clarified) is that imho it is VERY NECESSARY to have a plan to follow. I DO not believe you will gt alot better by just going to a range and beating balls...i mearly meant that he should hav some sort of plan imo not necessarily mine i was just givin an example....

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

If you have some connections try to get a spot on a Pro/Am day. Then enter a couple of State Amateur tournaments. Then try to get a slot/entry to a Q-School Qualifier. Up until then you can still be classified as an amateur.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Lawyer or Golfer..........it's a no brainer. ;)

Driver: 9.5 Titleist 910, Fairway Woods: G2 3 wood and 5 woods
Irons: Titleist CB712
Wedges: 52 - Vokey, 56 - Vokey Raw,
Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1
Ball: NXT Tour

That's really an awesome story, and you HAVE to go for it. There's no real downside, if you can just go back to a job if you fail. If you 'fail' you've still become a lot better at golf, and it's a win-win!

Good luck!

Ben

I think you have to do it for all of us who will never in our lifetimes be able to take a few years out of our life without any problems or financial troubles from it to play this wonderful amazingly awful game known as golf. If you have what seems to be definitely scratch or better talent it'd be a crime to not attempt it. If you don't do it, may the next person who plays with you break your clubs over your knees. lol Just kidding. I wish you luck, I know if I had that kind of chance, it'd be better than winning the lottery in my eyes.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

golfers can be competetive up a very high age.
26 is nothing.
I plan for the national tour here and I am 46 and a 9 handicap.

Advice is to know your own game really well and be consistent.
and shoot really low especially on golf courses you never played before.

Robert Something

Hey, you only live once. If it makes you happy then go for it. You seem confident in your back up plan, so what's stopping you from doing it? Why are you even asking us? Get out there and get started I say.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I was a 30 handicap and had your opportunity, I would still take it. But I love golf, so for me it would be win win. Get on tour, or worse case scenario, devote a few years of my life to something I love. If you love golf go for it. I just hope that you don't find yourself in the position that you love golf now, but once you eat, sleep, and live golf, that you do not enjoy it as much. That would be the largest failure, even if you do go pro.

OVERHEARD ON THE GOLF COURSE - "Go in the hole!.........................................FORE!!!"

Datrek Zone Bag
DRIVER: G2, Graffalloy Prolaunch Blue 65S
5 WOOD: SasQuatch Sumo 5900 IRONS: I5 3-PW52/56/60: 588 DSG GunmetalPUTTER: White-Hot 2-BallBALL: Pro V1xRANGEFINDER: SG4

Now I know what I'll do if I ever win the lottery!

Agree with the primary themes developed be previous posters: 1. Sounds like you've got nothing to lose, so go for it! 2. Professional golfers, even at the mini-tour level, are REALLY good. Think of all those club pros out there who can flat-out play, but had to "settle" for making a living teaching rather than playing. (Often for lack of funds, but sounds like you've got $$$ covered.) That said, you clearly have talent, and who knows how good you can be when golf is your primary focus.

Best of luck,
Sean

I read an interesting article the other day about Ian Poulter. Apparently when he turned pro, he was a 4 handicap. He's now making millions on tour. Anything is possible, you just need to confidence and belief. Good Luck!
Driver: Titleist 909 D2 (VooDoo shaft)
Woods: Titleist 909 D3 (15 deg, VooDoo shaft)
Hybrids: Mizuno MX700 (20 deg)
Irons: Titleist ZB (4-pw)
Wedge:
Titleist Vokey 52°, 56°, 60°Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select NewportPutter Cover: Scotty Cameron 2009 Cupid Dog -WhiteBalls: Srixon Z-Star

Note: This thread is 5091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!