IGNORED

Driving Distance

jmr
Note: This thread is 3143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah 270 is tough to believe. I can hit my 3 iron hybrid about 225 and my normal 3 iron about 210. And I hit my driver a solid 270, and my 3 wood 245-250 off a tee.

I hit my driver on average around 270-280, now with a slight draw.

Of course I have hit it around 330, and I have hit it about 10....so...its somewhere in the middle :D

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I have a 2-iron I can hit to about 270-280. I can hit my spot with that and get to many par 5's. Im not as accurate with the driver. Back when I was consistantly hitting my driver I could get to about 185 on my home course #2 (535yd Par 5) pretty regularly. I like hitting long irons though. 185 is a good 7 iron for me. Maybe a smooth 6. I'd rather have a 5 or 4 iron in.

I hear ya on the 270 yarders - I hit a couple during a round in 1995 that my playing partners were convinced were 300+, but I knew better.

When I was working at hitting 2-iron exclusively off the tee (~1994-1998) I carried a persimmon driver and 4 wood as well. I think it was equal parts course management and egotism. It was a rush to put my MP-11 2-iron out past other guys drivers - I couldn't afford drugs I suppose. Anyway, I put the Mizuno into storage, because the 3-iron is long enough. I still bag a 2-iron with my Hogan Apexes though. I'd say that 230-260 is a good result for the PCs, and I've only hit the '95 chanelback at the simulator (most >255). A lot of guys I played with in the 90s picked up a 2-iron on the sly (I'd see it in their bag at the range) but they never put them into service - it takes a certain swing that may or may not relate to other clubs.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I've never been a long hitter and have never pretended to be. I usually drive the ball about 230-240 if I make good contact.

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

I feel the same way most of the time. ive been playing for almost 2 years and about a 20 handicap, but play to an 18 I think. When I first started I had bad equipment, I quickly rendered that, and got good equipment. That solved some problems. I felt like I was always being told I should be a long hitter for my size, yet i wasn't. Im26 yrs old, 6'2" 240 lbs. and I was only hitting about 250. My buddy was smaller and was hitting around 300. I knew something was up. I got some lessons, and even had my instructor scratching his head. It wasn't until he swung my club that he realized the problem... THE SHAFT! I had a stiff shaft, but it had lots of tip flex and was spinning the ball out to the right. Even he did it! I went and got a different driver with a "real" stiff shaft and wall-ah. Straight and far... I went thru about 3 drivers before I found something that worked consistently. I used it for a year, and just recently got another new driver and it has the perfect shaft! Im straighter, but Im still working on the distance. I think its in my hips...
I want to note this: ***It is impossible to tell a good driver from the right driver inside a store!!!***
If your golf store offers a 30, 60, or 90 day test time, use it!!! So far that's been my saving grace.

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Oh, and my average distance is about 270 now. Im working to be 300

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

I hear ya on the 270 yarders - I hit a couple during a round in 1995 that my playing partners were convinced were 300+, but I knew better.

My 2 iron is a Hogan Apex, I love it and it is becoming my favorite club. I kill it off the tee. It has helped improve my score by a couple strokes a round.

for some reason i hook to the right with my 08 burner, and after a few tall boys the hook is gone and the ball goes straight. go figure huh? but i just picked up a used r9 tp and ave about 290 to 315. and yes my short game sucks.

My current driver is 45" Ping G10. I am thinking of switching out shafts for a X-stiff, to get more control. My driver sprays the ball a bit, when i demoed some X-stiff nike drivers versus Stiff nike drivers the X-stiff was more accurate for me. But i am thinking of dropping down to 44". I didn't gain much distance at all with an extra inch. Actually my old 975D with the EI-70 shaft is only a few yards shorter than my G10.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh, and my average distance is about 270 now. Im working to be 300

So, you drive it 270 with an 18 handicap, and want to drive it as long as the longest hitter on the PGA tour? Um... Something tells me you need to remeasure your drives.

for some reason i hook to the right with my 08 burner, and after a few tall boys the hook is gone and the ball goes straight. go figure huh? but i just picked up a used r9 tp and ave about 290 to 315. and yes my short game sucks.

Fantasy anyone? Seriously, 315? You drive it 15 yards longer than Bubba Watson and his 126 mph clubhead speed and 189 mph ballspeed with an almost obscene smash factor?

Absolute bulls%$&. There's not a chance in hell you're coming anywhere near that distance with an off the shelf TM driver, it's just not possible. TM's amatuer drivers have far too much spin, their tour players play much different models that you cannot buy in the store. People, please, for the love of god, be honest with yourselves. You are not driving the ball 300 yards. I am a long hitter, I swing 110 mph, and I outdrive everyone I've ever played with, and I hit average in the 240s. I only hit the ball about 280 on a phenomenal smash, and reach 300 only very rarely and with a good roll. You want to know how to tell if you're really driving it 300 yards? Count the time with a stopwatch the ball is in the air. If it's around 8 seconds, you're hitting it around 300. If not, forget it, you're not even close.

I usually carry good hits 230 or so. My average is probably much less if you factor in all of the mishits, banana slices, snap hooks, and sky balls.

Last time out was the first time I've used a GPS device while golfing, Android phone. I sort of knew where I stood on driving distance based on range sessions where I'm usually just short of the 250 marker, but others in my group were shocked at their numbers. They all had it in their heads that they drove 30yds further than what they really do. On a particular hole there was a fairway bunker probably about 275yds out, and some of the other guys were worried about hitting at it. Being familiar with the course I knew it was out of theirs and my range, so I told them to aim right at it. I caught one good on that hole and was still 30 yds behind it. They thought for sure my drive was 280+, but it turned out to be 240 or so. 280 is a long way, and guys who hit it that far on average are usually very good golfers, or don't realize what the term average means.

I'm fairly certain I'd rather hit the driver where I wanted, than to hit it really far.....

A lot of people can do both at the same time.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

A lot of people can do both at the same time.

Congrats go to them. For my game at the moment I'll take 210 in the fairway every time I tee it up

Nothing like hitting your drives so far that your laying one on a par 5 and the others in your group are still shorter than you hitting two

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was hitting my drives about 215 with a Cobra LD Offset 10.5* with Aldila regular shaft, but was pulling most of them.

I changed to a Cobra L5V 11.5* with Aldila regular shaft and the distance dropped to 200 - 205, but was consistently in the middle of the fairway.

Now, I use the PowerBilt Air Force One 10.5* with Fujikura regular shaft and I'm driving 220-240, with several at 250 yards.

These were all verified with my GPS.

Note: This thread is 3143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!