IGNORED

How old are your clubs? (and related thoughts)

Note: This thread is 5119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

See my signature for club description, but none are really that new, but these are what's in my bag currently. My oldest club is a Titleist Bulls Eye putter from the '60s and some circa 1974 Wilson Staff Dynapower Irons, both of which belonged to my Dad.

Driver: 2002
3 Wood: 1991 (I bought used a few years ago)
2 Iron: 2008 but I also switch out with a Callaway X-14 2 Iron from 2002
Irons: 2002 (still haven't found anything nicer)
Wedges: 2004 (non-conforming, but good enough for anything but US Amateur)
Putter: 1996 although accepting donations for something newer... pretty sure I can find something that will work as well :)

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

My irons are a little over 10 years old. I thought the Hogans were an underrated set back then. I also couldn't afford the DCIs. My Driver is from last year. It was kind of a quick buy just to get myself back in the game. I had to buy a gap wedge because the new driver put me into this "gap" territory. Putter is one of the first odesseys (I think) that had inserts. Back then, there was a choice of Blue, Black and Green. Each with their own "firmness" feel. I thought it was a cool idea back then and felt good. My SW is the oldest club in the bag, it's practically bald but I use it for pretty much every shot inside 100. Old clubs kind of have their own personality.

'09 Burner (UST ProForce V2 77g - S)
4dx 15.5 hybrid (UST V2 - Stiff)
'99 Apex Plus 3-EW (Stiff)
TM rac 50/6 GW
Arnold Palmer The Standard SW (20-30 years old)'99 Dual Rossie Blade

Ping Pal is vintage (1970s?? Year uncertain). My remaining clubs were manufactured around 2008. Woods and CG14 wedge bought new, Callaway irons and SW are slightly used.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

driver: bought new in 2007
fw: callaway steelhead (?)
hybrids: just got them one new, one used
irons: got them used last winter.... shafts are new
wedges 2 or 3 years old..... the sat out last year
putter: 7 years old, but i have a deadcenter from the 80's ( i think )

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

Nothing I have is new. I was going to make a set of Matlby TE forged irons, so i guess they would have been new. I just purchased a set of "new to me" Titleist 755's instead. Everything in my sig was purchased used except for the cheapo wedge, and I really can't forsee buying anything "brand new" for a very long time. I feel less guilty after the honeymoon period is over too, if things aren't quite working out as expected.

**Edit**

I lied....the bag and the diablo balls were bought retail, he he.....

driver - 2009
4 wood - 2007
MP-57s - 2008
Putter - 2008
wedges - 2009, 2009, 2006

buying used clubs is fine if they're not fake. I'll never buy a used wedge.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

If you just play in a local club Tournament, I don't think the Officials will check your bag. The new groove rule is for Amateur USGA events such as US Amateur Open.

I wouldn't worry changing my clubs....
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

My dad bought me the Staff 2-PW new in '79 when I was in college. The 1 iron and JP wedge are about 1 year newer. I bought my "new" set of Titleist DCI's in 1992. I recently bought the Joe Powells at a pawn shop for $8 each. They actually still make the same club, but I am guessing mine are about 10 years old. My primary putter is 30 years old; I have a few that are somewhat newer. I have a motley assortment of other drivers and fairways, the newest is probably a Taylor 360Ti that is about 10 years old. (bought at pawn shop for $25)

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Driver-2008 (Graphite)
3 Wood-2008 (Graphite)
3 iron- 2009 (Steel)
Irons 4-PW - 2010 (Steel)
Wedges - 2009 (Steel)
Putter - 2009 (Steel)

With the USGA groove rule changes it appears that my clubs will be obsolete in less than four years for regulation play (under USGA overseen play anyway, I think, not sure about GHIN non-tournament use). I was looking at the clubs I have at home and realized most if not all of them are over 10 years old.

I use Wilson Staff Goose-Necks, so I have no worries about the "new groove" rule. My clubs are from the early 90's and are still very playable. I did re-groove them once. My biggest problem is the occasional "Hogan Sting" from using bladed clubs.

With the USGA groove rule changes it appears that my clubs will be obsolete in less than four years for regulation play (under USGA overseen play anyway, I think, not sure about GHIN non-tournament use). I was looking at the clubs I have at home and realized most if not all of them are over 10 years old.

The 2014 rule is for events like the U.S. Amateur, North and South Amateur, Publinx, etc. You're well within the rules to continue with your clubs until the end of 2023.

As to your question: My driver I bought used two years ago, and reshafted it. I think it's a 2006 model. My 4-wood and hybrids are a model from 2007, but I bought the 4s recently, newish each, and the 3H was used when I got it last summer. My irons and wedges are from 2008, purchased new. Putters, I have no idea.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 5119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!