IGNORED

Position of Ball Along Club Face Length at Address?

Note: This thread is 1322 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 hours ago, Kingward said:

I agree with Knudson.  Centrifugal force extends the arms on the through-swing.  Lining the ball up on the toe yields better center contact and actually encourages more extension on the through-swing.  I know it has helped me.  

@Kingward welcome to TST!  We're glad you've decided to participate.  

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me, ball is center for irons and hybrids, slightly off center towards toe for woods,  and completely off the face with my driver.  I also tee my ball up low.

10 hours ago, Kingward said:

I agree with Knudson.  Centrifugal force extends the arms on the through-swing.  Lining the ball up on the toe yields better center contact and actually encourages more extension on the through-swing.  I know it has helped me.  

Welcome to TheSandTrap!  :beer:

To me, there are a number of factors.  Yes, the arms and club are in a straighter line at impact, where they're not at address.  However, the lead shoulder is rotated more at impact, so its further from the ball, which at least partially offsets the extension of the arms and clubs.  For me, I've found that I make better contact with irons when I address ball with the ball slightly towards the heel.  For hybrids, woods, driver, I do best with the ball at about the center of the club.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

It doesn't matter where you address it as long as you hit the ball on the sweet spot. With that being said, I address everything middle cheating towards middle heel. I once knew a pro who said play it in the neck and others that would play it toey if they wanted to work a draw. It all comes down to preference and what works for you. I just try to keep it consistent. 

Glad to see someone reviving an old but still relevant topic.  

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I agree this is totally swing dependent.  For my irons I am on the heel. For my driver I am still towards the heel but less so. It is something I am constantly adjusting as my swing changes. 

• iacas changed the title to Position of Ball Along Club Face Length at Address?
  • 2 weeks later...

Correct ,   Mike Austin ,  Mike Dunaway  did this also.   You can add Hogan and Snead to the List .    

Longest ball and most accurate in this manner .     Don't use band-aids ,     Off the heel is a band-aid .   Off the center is a Band-aid.   

Learn the body how it performs at it's optimal .    

On 8/28/2020 at 8:26 AM, DaveP043 said:

Welcome to TheSandTrap!  :beer:

To me, there are a number of factors.  Yes, the arms and club are in a straighter line at impact, where they're not at address.  However, the lead shoulder is rotated more at impact, so its further from the ball, which at least partially offsets the extension of the arms and clubs.  For me, I've found that I make better contact with irons when I address ball with the ball slightly towards the heel.  For hybrids, woods, driver, I do best with the ball at about the center of the club.

This is also what I do now.  But back in the good old Persimmon days I always lined the ball up on the toe for center contact.

When I finally got a 460 cc Driver I found that when lining the ball up on the toe I would get those dreaded sky marks on the toe from time to time.

Edited by djake

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

I hear ya about toe shots, I'm a closer to the hosel at address for 3-7 irons. Wedges seem fine probably due to the swing plane.  Great advice on the driver with 1/4" adjustment close to the toe, makes sense and looking forward to seeing what the result is!

First guy I noticed years ago who had it near the heel at address.

Edited by RickK
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Note: This thread is 1322 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!