IGNORED

best putters?

Note: This thread is 4745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

ive got the karsten anser 2. The karsten series has a soft insert on the back of the hitting area, the face is still milled though so you get that authentic feeling still but softer. Its pretty neat how it actually works. I havent tried the copper anser 2 like you have.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

seriously no one has mentioned the ping redwoods series? 250 msrp, had new on ebay for around 170, used depending on condtition from 80-130. excellent weight, the zb is my favorite and most recent addition, great feel and sound, very responsive. Best alternative to the scotty with many of the same major styles and equivalent milling and overall quality.

FYI, I just picked up a Mizuno/Bettinardi BC1 @ Golfsmith for $99.

I'll second that. It's an amazing putter at an even better price.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You ask...

"Is that an awesome putter.."

I say...

"YES! that is an awesome putter."

I know, corny... but I will go with YES! being one of the best putters.
In my bag
Machspeed 9.5 Stiff
CrossBax 5 wood
Idea Tech 19* Hybrid
a3 22* Hybrid Slingshot 4D Graphite 5-AW Burner XD 56* & 60* Wedge Callie Putter e6+Home Course: www.dogwoodtracegolf.com

Just purchased a Ping iN Series Anser V2. I found it very similar to the Scotty California Series Monterey. To be honest, I liked the feel of the Scotty a little better, but the Ping was close enough at a fraction of the price.

What's in my Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag that sits on my Clic Gear 3.0 Push Cart:
Driver TaylorMade Tour Burner 10.5° Fujikura SuperFast Stiff
3W TaylorMade Burner 15° TM REAX Stiff
Hybrid Cobra Baffler Rail H 19° Fujikura Motore Stiff
Irons TaylorMade  R7 3-PWWedges Cleveland CG14 52°.10 and...

• 11 months later...

Cleveland Classic, Ping Anser or Taymormade Est 79.  All 3 are great putters that are very affordable.  I used to have a Cleveland Classic 2 and it was a really nice putter, I just like my Mizuno Bettinardi better.

If I had to buy a new putter today though, Id most likely go with a Cleveland Classic 4 or a Ping Anser.  For some reason Ive always putted well with an Anser style putter and cant putt worth a darn with a mallet or mid-mallet.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Before trying the 100 different putters that are available to you, I would recommend a quick putting analysis.  Just as you would get fit for a driver or irons, it is equally important to get fitted for a putter.  I don't mean to go get fitted for a Nike Method vs. SC vs. Odyssey.  I mean get the analysis done on your putting stroke to find out if your stroke is best suited to a blade putter, heel toe putter, or a mallet putter.

I just had a putting lesson and was told that my SC (35") was way too long for me.  I just traded it for a 33" SC.  Being 5'11", I always thought I should be using a 35".  WRONG! And, with my swing path (inside, square, inside), I would benefit from a blade or heel toe putter.

Once you determine the proper weighted putter for you, then you can hone in on what feels and looks best.

Driver : ping.gifG15 10.5* Serrano Stiff
3W: callaway.gif RAZR 15*
Hybrids : adams.gif A7 19*
4- PW : mizuno.gif MP - 63
Wedges : vokey.gif50*, 54*, 60*Putter: cameron.gif Scotty Newport 2.5Bag: sunmountain.gif 2011 SunMountain C-130

Check out the clubmaker websites for putter links. On Titleist, go to the Scotty Cameron link, and on Callaway go the Odyssey link.

Both Cameron and Odyssey have a rough fitting software which asks you several questions about your putting preferences, and performance flaws. Using this information, it gives you a "short list" of three models of putters to try out.

If you want to save money, test out an earlier version of that model, or possibly a used one that's in good shape. See if it works for you.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Building on ronbo25's post - you need to figure out your putting stroke.  Imagine standing on a ladder and looking down on yourself while you're putting.  Do you have a somewhat arced putting stroke?  Or do you "hunch" over the putter and end up with a SBST (straight back straight through) stroke?  If you have an arced stroke you'll probably do well with a heel weighted putter or a heel-toe balanced putter.  If you're a SBST putter then you want a face balanced putter.  How do you tell the difference?  Take the putter and balance it on a finger about 6" up the shaft from the head.  If the face points straight up you've got a face balanced putter.  If the face points straight to the side you've got a heel weighted putter.  And if the face is at an angle (diagonal) then you've got a heel-toe balanced putter.  A heel weighted putter is better for arc putters who stand upright when they putt while heel-toe balanced putters are for arc putters who bend at the hips more.

Go to your local Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy and try different putters on their fake greens.  Try several different kinds of putters (i.e face balanced, heel-toe, etc.).  Chances are one of these three will stand out as feeling/working the best.  Then go from there.

:tmade: SLDR 12* :ping: G20 4W :adams: Speedline Super S 4H :mizuno: JPX-825 Pro 4-G :tmade: ATV 56* & 60* :cameron: 2014 Select Newport or 1997 Teryllium 3 Newport

I have tryed many putters like ,odyssey whits ice,scotty cameron kombi,taylormade itsy bitsy , and i have to say the rossa monza ghost white putter is by far the best. The hole it has in the back of the putter really i mean really makes alignment a breeze. The ball rolls so nice off of the putter and the white finish looks awesome. I really don't look at price when buying something because you get what you pay for that is just me. You can't buy a hyundai and expect it to drive like a bmw. It really is a club that makes or breaks your round and i am sure everyone can agree with me on that. I am so happy with my putting so far this year and it is due to the putter. Once i align the putter i know it is right which has really helped me just focus on speed when i am ready to putt the ball. I would at least go hit some putts with it at your local golf store.

Originally Posted by treebound

How about a traditional Bullseye? They work just fine for me, and when they don't I switch to a mallet putter.

They show up on a regular basis at rummage sales for under $10, last one I picked up cost me $3.

Ram Zebra is a quality putter if you can find one in decent shape. I gamed one for 11 years and finally it was just so beat up I retired it but I'm working on refinishing it so it might make a come back. I'm also in favor of the YES line I bought a marilyn and sophia off of rock bottom for 49.99 each around christmas and both are nice putters.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by jlh1508

The cleveland putters are solid. I looked at those heavily before deciding on the rife antigua. Just look around and find the one you feel comfortable with

Agree with this completely. Cleveland putters are awesome. I LOVE my vp. They can be found for pretty cheap too. But it truly is what you feel comfortable with.

Personally, i don't think there is any "best putter" it is all about how it feels, so i think you should go to the nearest golf store, or dicks/Sports authority and just putt around, call me insane but i'm a golfer who like to lean way over the putter, so i picked up a junior putter for 25 bucks, it has a nice soft insert and a weighted head, it feels great and got rid of all my 3 putts 100% no joke, this was on 3 18 hole rounds, and i 1 putt much more even from around 15+ feet out. So honestly, putting is all about how it feels to you, also if you are struggling, try changing your grip.

Originally Posted by RocknHardx242x

Personally, i don't think there is any "best putter" it is all about how it feels, so i think you should go to the nearest golf store, or dicks/Sports authority and just putt around, call me insane but i'm a golfer who like to lean way over the putter, so i picked up a junior putter for 25 bucks, it has a nice soft insert and a weighted head, it feels great and got rid of all my 3 putts 100% no joke, this was on 3 18 hole rounds, and i 1 putt much more even from around 15+ feet out. So honestly, putting is all about how it feels to you, also if you are struggling, try changing your grip.

I would agree, don't think there is a "best putter".  I know I have preferences, I am not found of inserts in putters, I much perfer a milled putter, like the Camerons, Redwoods, and the Black Series.  I even prefer a non-insert Ping to any with an insert, but that is all personal preference.  The only way to find your "best putter" is to hit as many as possible.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted by lumpuckeroo

I would agree, don't think there is a "best putter".  I know I have preferences, I am not found of inserts in putters, I much perfer a milled putter, like the Camerons, Redwoods, and the Black Series.  I even prefer a non-insert Ping to any with an insert, but that is all personal preference.  The only way to find your "best putter" is to hit as many as possible.

That is why it is all feel, opinions are really no help. I personally like inserts in putters and don't care for the milled putters, this is a perfect example of why you should just go to your local golf store and keep putting until you find the one that feels the best. Buying a putter isn't the easiest thing because there is alot to take into consideration. shaft length,putter weight,offset,shaft position on the putter head. What i like in a  putter Lumpuckeroo could just hate.

IMO, the only real way to find the "right" putter for you is to go to a few golf stores and just pick up whatever catches your eye and play with it. Narrow it down to a few and see what gets the ball in the hole the most consistently.

As some already mentioned get a static fitting (takes 5 minutes) and go from there.

I learned to play with a $10 Dunlop putter (still have it, still gets the ball in the hole) from there I bought a Yes! Tracy2, played that for a year and got curious with the other shapes and weights of putters and ended up dropping $300 on a Scotty.

Is the Scotty any better than the $10 Dunlop? I think so, but only because it feels better in my hands and inspires me to hole more putts. I've become a putter snob, so what.

My point is this: The putter is used for roughly half your strokes in a round. Buy what you like having in your hands, and gets the ball in the hole.

Note: This thread is 4745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!